General Space Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

Edit: Also the people in the press should learn the difference between Space Oddity and Life on Mars. FAKE NEWS!
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Was discussing the launch at lunch and had to explain what a huge moment it was for humanity. It's history.

Commercial space flight is viable. Space X can start charging firms to put their satellites into space and whatever else (tourism?). That frees up NASA to do bigger and better things.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

:evil: I've been seeing "yeah but there are still poor people" comments.

These people have broken souls.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: :evil: I've been seeing "yeah but there are still poor people" comments.

I'm sure each of those people are out there fighting poverty as they type.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

I didn't put a little devil in there.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

Also, if elon had put all that money into "poverty" we'd still have poverty. We'll always have poverty. Might as well test ways to put them into orbit.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: :evil: I've been seeing "yeah but there are still poor people" comments.

I'm sure each of those people are out there fighting poverty as they type.
Typical capitalist who doesn't get it. It's the 1% who should be paying to end poverty, not "normal people". We earn our money, they don't. The government should force them to pay 75% of their wealth as taxes.

Or something... There's no logic there or knowledge based upon fact and historical precedence, so it's difficult to role play. I just know their argument is something like: poor people are oppressed, rich people are evil, and the people who sit on their keyboards and preach about this stuff are the real heroes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

General Space Thread

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Nothing new
Man, there's a reference I should have thought of earlier.
Vince

General Space Thread

Post by Vince »

I still say more money should be going into educating people the difference between Space Oddity and Life on Mars.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Trump wants to privatize the ISS.

Funding runs out in 2024, and he wants corporate America to jump in and take over. Apparently, NASA does too.

Opposition are already screaming about how much money we've spent on it, and thus, we can't walk away. I don't think they understand that NASA wants to move forward, not stay stuck in low orbit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Opposition are already screaming about how much money we've spent on it, and thus, we can't walk away.
Sunk cost fallacy, bitches.

I don't know enough to give an informed opinion.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Troy

General Space Thread

Post by Troy »

This seems like the break-through where we learn that Earth is actually a prison we are reliant upon.

We'll need some specific proteins/aminos acid or we can't survive long-term in space. Basically like the Jurassic park story line, but for humans.
Last edited by Troy on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: This seems like the break-through where we learn that Earth is actually a prison we are relient upon.
Earth gives you electrons... or takes them, something
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: We'll need some specific proteins/aminos acid or we can't survive long-term in space. Basically like the Jurassic park story line, but for humans.
We'll learn to simulate it.

I'm betting they discover that the lack of gravity is the culprit behind the changing DNA. And possibly the lack of sunlight?