General Space Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Biggest anus ever.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

One of the people involved talks about it... from two years ago. "We might have a picture of a black hole in a couple years"

[video][/video]
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

How big is that black hole, aside from having the mass of like 6.5 BILLION of our suns?

This big

TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

That, literally, made me laugh loud enough that the guy in the office next door came to look.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

It's truly sad that this isn't bigger news.

We're heading back to the moon. This time it's going to be a base to launch deeper space missions.

TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I'll be honest, I was kinda hoping when voiceover guy stopped his speech, he would end with "Are you coming with us?"
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: voiceover guy
You mean Shattner? Show some respect!
TheCatt wrote: Are you coming with us?
This is how kids complicate your life. Before kids, I was an enthusiastic yes. Now I'd be a hard no.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You mean Shattner? Show some respect!
Holy crap, I didn't recognize him. He's... speaking differently than I'm used to. Even knowing it's him, he sounds somewhat different.
Leisher wrote: This is how kids complicate your life. Before kids, I was an enthusiastic yes. Now I'd be a hard no.
I mean, my kids will be launched eventually...
Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by Leisher »

NASA just announced their next mission: Titan.
Troy

General Space Thread

Post by Troy »

SpaceX launched the first 60 of their low earth orbit internet satellites last month. Only testing versions, without the vaunted satellite to satellite communication lasers, but if that technology really works and SpaceX get it into orbit faster than anyone else (they sure have the capability) SpaceX could become a global juggernaut.

It's interesting how open they are about their business practices. Live streaming everything, giving info about rocket development.

Cool clip from the detachable fairing in their recent launch. I think fairing means nose cone. It's like science fiction FX, but it's real.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1146546495241371649
GORDON
Site Admin

General Space Thread

Post by GORDON »

As I understand it, those satellites are mainly to bring web to dark corners of the earth. Fine. Those of.us who need low latency will never use it.

So.my reaction is "oh.great, now they last billion peeps on earth can tell me they banged my mom "
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

General Space Thread

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: As I understand it, those satellites are mainly to bring web to dark corners of the earth. Fine. Those of.us who need low latency will never use it.

So.my reaction is "oh.great, now they last billion peeps on earth can tell me they banged my mom "
Thats true, but because the satellites will be placed into low earth orbit, unlike current satellite internet, the signal should be much faster going from planet to satellites and back.

Then, consider that the signals will travel satellite to satellite in a vacuum. Faster than terrersterial wires.

For shorter, state to state range, wired is likely to still be king. But coast to coast or cross continent should see a substantial improvement. SpaceX is still being mum on official specs, but some of the modeling I’ve seen basically makes the entire world at 50-60ms pings. If they can pull it off - to even get the system in place requires 1k satellites. 10k is what they are going for, in multiple interlinked orbits.