Ending sexism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Being completely fake didn't torpedo Fauxcahontas.
What was completely fake about her? A claim that she had some small amount of Native American ancestry?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by GORDON »

A claim, and she used it to get affirmative action admissions to her colleges. IIRC.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: A claim, and she used it to get affirmative action admissions to her colleges. IIRC.
Well, she didn't do it until after college + law school, so, no?

Someone looked into it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by GORDON »

And that's why I try to avoid it all. Everybody lies, all the time.
Vince

Ending sexism

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: A claim, and she used it to get affirmative action admissions to her colleges. IIRC.
Well, she didn't do it until after college + law school, so, no?

Someone looked into it.
I can't read this article. My understanding was that it helped in her employment. This is less about her claiming it in my mind. I think she took it on faith that what she was told was true. I think it's more of a condemnation of the press that they first refused to look into it, and then when she released her DNA results were acting like she was right all along. 1/1024th Indian was embarrassing. My DNA shows more African in my DNA than she has American Indian.

Look, she was wrong. Everyone get over it.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by GORDON »

I had to go into it twice before the article would appear. If legit, it claims that she marked "caucasian" on her school applications, and only said she was cherokee after she got hired into a law office.

That law office then claimed to have native americans on payroll, to show diversity.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I had to go into it twice before the article would appear. If legit, it claims that she marked "caucasian" on her school applications, and only said she was cherokee after she got hired into a law office.

That law office then claimed to have native americans on payroll, to show diversity.
Harvard did it as well, accepting her word in the 90s.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by Leisher »

Was it true Obama got foreign student aid from whatever school he went to, but didn't attend classes?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Was it true Obama got foreign student aid from whatever school he went to, but didn't attend classes?
No
Leisher
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Was it true Obama got foreign student aid from whatever school he went to, but didn't attend classes?
No
Thanks for googling that. I always wondered where that came from.

Although, I tend to avoid Snopes. Not just because they do allow their political leanings to show up in the explanations from time to time, but also because they give concrete answers like "False" here, while still putting things like this in the explanation:
Barack Obama’s student records from Occidental College remain unreleased. He has not chosen to make them public, nor has any court ordered the school to release them.
Motherfuckers can't say "False" then because they actually don't know for sure. "Probably False" would be far more appropriate.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Ending sexism

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
No
His records have never been released. They were very slimy in how they rated this. They rated the claim that recently released records show this rather than the claim itself. We also have to verify that Snopes isn't fact checking a satire site.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by TheCatt »

Article: Someone made up a claim that was obviously fake for these reasons.

Vince/Leisher: BUT HE NEVER RELEASED HIS RECORDS
Vince

Ending sexism

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Article: Someone made up a claim that was obviously fake for these reasons.

Actually, YOU were the one that definitively stated (using the article in question as evidence) that it was untrue that Obama used foreign aid as a college student. So pretty much it was used as intended by the authors.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Article: Someone made up a claim that was obviously fake for these reasons.

Actually, YOU were the one that definitively stated (using the article in question as evidence) that it was untrue that Obama used foreign aid as a college student. So pretty much it was used as intended by the authors.
Did Trump rape babies?
Vince

Ending sexism

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Did Trump rape babies?
Not to my knowledge.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
Not to my knowledge.
Exactly.
Vince

Ending sexism

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Exactly.
Exactly what? I stated I had no evidence that Trump raped babies. You stated as fact that Obama never got foreign student aide and used as evidence of your position an article that didn't state that.

I'm not implying that you're trying to mislead anyone. I'm saying Snopes was.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ending sexism

Post by Leisher »

The correct answer is yes because he's a Republican and they're the great evil the world has ever seen.

I very clearly stated that "probably false" would have been far more accurate than "false". Apologies for being a stickler for details. I guess leaving open the rather slim, and probably false, possibility that he did indeed have some shady shit going on with his college financials makes me the devil.