Gene Simmons on motherhood

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Tells women to pick a job or family.

Listen, he's not 100% wrong. Studies prove stay at home moms make for better kids. However, lots of moms are out there working and raising good kids.

Plus, when you start a discussion, don't be a dick about it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

I think stay at home mom's ARE better for the kids. I know that's not always possible. My little sister was able to stay at home with their kids and waiting to work full time at my brother-in-law's dental practice until they were in middle school. They are freakishly good kids. Most women can't do that. Even married women with kids. There are few jobs where the man by himself can support the family anymore.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What did change that caused people to need two incomes to survive? Cost of living go up too much? Good paying jobs disappear? What was it? One thing my wife and I noticed before she became a stay at home mom (kinda, more on that in a minute) is that almost her entire salary would be to pay for child care when we were working. It made no sense for her to work.

I've often discussed a massive tax break, eligible ONLY to two parent households, where one parent stays home. Help them offset some of that lost income. Why would the government do that? Because of those studies I mentioned about kids with stay at home moms getting better grades, being less likely to do drugs or get into trouble, being better behaved, they're getting better nutrition, etc. The government would be spending less money dealing with troubled teens and/or adults.

Plus, my stay at home adds another benefit to the community: Now that there are no kids staying home all day anymore, she works in the schools who are desperate for subs, nurses, volunteers, etc. So now she's making money that isn't used for daycare, while also giving to the community. It's win-win.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

1. It's getting harder to find a well-paying job right out of high school.

That being said...

2. I think a lot more couples could live on a signle income if they lived smarter. $50k won't get you by in NYC, but it's easily livable in Toledo.

The problem is,. OMG I CANT LIVE WITHOUT 24 CHINESE FOOD DELIVERY. People will sacrifice healthy, functional children just to live in a prime city. I've said this for decades: raising kids in a city should be considered child abuse.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I think overall we've had a situation where worldwide, people are richer than they used to be, causing people within 'rich' people who are at the bottom to be migrated lower in world wealth rankings. Lots of causes/factors going on, but overall: The things people used to afford on a modern salary of $50k (adjusted for inflation, etc) isn't nearly as affordable any more, particularly healthcare + education.

When my wife was working, granted it was pretty early in her career, but she was making less than $10/hour after counting childcare, extra expenses for clothes, eating out more, etc. So she stopped and I took a 2nd job consulting. It's part-time, I can do it from home, and I make decently over $100/hour doing it.
Leisher wrote: Plus, my stay at home adds another benefit to the community: Now that there are no kids staying home all day anymore, she works in the schools
Isn't this the truth. There appears to be about 5 other SAHMs in our kids' classes these days.

I lean towards some other way (basic national income, more flexible work environments, 3rd spouses, etc) than the massive government subsidy to explicitly 2-parent homes. But who knows.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: What did change that caused people to need two incomes to survive? Cost of living go up too much? Good paying jobs disappear? What was it?
Honestly I think a lot of it was reaching a tipping point where enough women were in the workforce that businesses didn't have to be competitive with a single salary that supported a family.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren