General Motors

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

General Motors

Post by Vince »

That's a bold plan. I'll be surprised if it happens that soon.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by GORDON »

Anybody have any idea how high your power bill goes if you have to recharge an electric car from 50% to 100% every night? Wondering about "fuel" savings.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

General Motors

Post by Vince »

Anybody know how much your cross country vacation radius just got shrunk dramatically?
GORDON
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by GORDON »

I have 70 miles of city commuting every school day. Anything that removes gasoline costs from that is worth looking at.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote: Anybody know how much your cross country vacation radius just got shrunk dramatically?
The Nissan Leaf gets about 120ish miles per charge.
Vince

General Motors

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Anybody have any idea how high your power bill goes if you have to recharge an electric car from 50% to 100% every night? Wondering about "fuel" savings.
Actually looks like that would be pretty good at current prices. I was seeing it's about 30 kWh to charge your average EV. What demand would do to price though? Hard to know right now. I'm curious as to how many electric grids are up to the task of charging all those cars every day? The more I think about the logistics of this, the less convinced I am that this will happen in the time frame they're hoping for.
Vince

General Motors

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:
Vince wrote: Anybody know how much your cross country vacation radius just got shrunk dramatically?
The Nissan Leaf gets about 120ish miles per charge.
I know the cold weather knocks this by about 25-30%. Hot weather also dings this some (though not as much).
GORDON
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by GORDON »

I am going to try to find a used one, if it costs less than 200 a.month, that's almost what I spend on gas in my truck.
Vince

General Motors

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: I am going to try to find a used one, if it costs less than 200 a.month, that's almost what I spend on gas in my truck.
I'd do a lot of research on the battery life. That's the biggest thing I saw when looking up their charge time for batteries was how expensive it is to replace the batteries once they hit the end of their lives.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by GORDON »

I've heard that if you get a certified used car from Nissan, the warranty is 10 years/100k miles. I would have to make sure that applies to batteries.
Vince

General Motors

Post by Vince »

Yeah, that'd be the big bug-a-boo for me if I were looking into them.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by GORDON »

I keep wondering why I see these $30k cars selling for $14k when they are two years old with 20k miles on them. This may be the reason
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by TheCatt »

Electricity much cheaper than gas. I did the math back when I bought my electric mower. That being said, the savings are rarely significant enough for most people. But looks like you do a shitload more driving than most people.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

General Motors

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: I keep wondering why I see these $30k cars selling for $14k when they are two years old with 20k miles on them. This may be the reason
Also, I don't think you get the tax credit for a used one. May be wrong on that, though.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
GORDON wrote: I keep wondering why I see these $30k cars selling for $14k when they are two years old with 20k miles on them. This may be the reason
Also, I don't think you get the tax credit for a used one. May be wrong on that, though.
Correct. Those $30k people got the $7.5k tax credit, so it was really $22.5k for them.
GORDON
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by GORDON »

Ahhhhhhh.
Leisher
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by Leisher »

Watch the battery issues though. That's been the big negative I've heard about them too.

Also, I believe there's legislation that has passed requiring much better gas mileage really soon.
TheCatt
Site Admin

General Motors

Post by TheCatt »

And, where we live, you can get an additional $10k back from the local power company (actually funneled through them from Nissan)... so it's like $21k