Gun Control catch all

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

ABC cancels recap of Apex Legends tournament, will show a hockey documentary instead.
The EXP Invitational Apex Legends at X Games tournament was due to be rebroadcast this Sunday, August 11, on ABC, but has now been pulled from the schedule. A letter addressed to ABC affiliates, posted to Twitter by esports consultant Rod Breslau, explains that this was done "Out of respect for the victims and all those impacted by the recent shootings".

The Apex Legends tournament in question took place at Minneapolis on August 2 and 3, and a condensed, hour-long highlight show was planned for broadcast this weekend. It was due to be Apex Legends' first appearance on TV in the US. The letter explaining its removal is dated August 6, two days after the mass shooting in Dayton took place.
Holy fuck.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:This gray area needs to be there to protect people. Sometimes the laws are toothless, like restraining orders, and this helps even the playing field a bit.
This is the perfect example of why the "may issue" will do nothing but endanger law abiding citizens that might otherwise be allowed to carry. If restraining orders can't stop a person, you think not having a carry permit will?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I mean, they did ONCE. Would they do it again?
Jokes aside, probably. Their only concern would be my insane right wing uncles.
TheCatt wrote: A CTE is the same as a named subquery
What does a catscan have to do with a named subquery? :P
TheCatt wrote: but the execution plan may shift depending on the declaration method.
Handguns can also be made to fire automatically, so...
TheCatt wrote: any kind of automatic modifications
Already illegal.
TheCatt wrote: I would still outlaw bump stocks
Meh. I'm torn on that one. I truly don't think anything should be restricted in a free country, but it is a loophole on making a gun "automatic".
TheCatt wrote: ABC cancels recap of Apex Legends tournament, will show a hockey documentary instead.
This level of stupidity is mind boggling.
Vince wrote: This is the perfect example of why the "may issue" will do nothing but endanger law abiding citizens that might otherwise be allowed to carry. If restraining orders can't stop a person, you think not having a carry permit will?
First, I said an appeal process needs to be there. Second, in no way shape or form have I posted ANYTHING in this thread about gun laws preventing citizens from still obtaining guns. I have very much said the opposite.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: First, I said an appeal process needs to be there. Second, in no way shape or form have I posted ANYTHING in this thread about gun laws preventing citizens from still obtaining guns. I have very much said the opposite.
Still trying to figure out how the carry license the was withheld from the criminal will stop him from committing the criminal act that he's going to commit. "Well, I WAS going to go hold up that store, but without the carry permit I won't be able to go in with a pistol."

All of the proposals of new laws seem to ignore the fact that all of these individuals we want to craft these new laws because of were breaking the law when they came to our attention to begin with. Let's just put them on double secret probation and call it a day.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Still trying to figure out how the carry license the was withheld from the criminal will stop him from committing the criminal act that he's going to commit. "Well, I WAS going to go hold up that store, but without the carry permit I won't be able to go in with a pistol."

All of the proposals of new laws seem to ignore the fact that all of these individuals we want to craft these new laws because of were breaking the law when they came to our attention to begin with. Let's just put them on double secret probation and call it a day.
Because there is a monumental difference between "I don't think you should have a gun" and "Fuck yeah, here's 10 guns."

Will bad people still get guns? Yes and anyone who thinks otherwise is a gigantic fucktard. However, as Catt points out: "barriers".

A gang member or other person with ties to the criminal underworld will easily get whatever gun they want. However, the suburban teen might now be prevented from getting a weapon to pull off his mass shooting.

It's an absolutely reasonable and logical conclusion, and thus, makes all the sense in the world.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Suburban teens aren't the ones committing mass shootings. Makes zero sense.

I will note for the record that people that were calling me a transphobe because I wanted barriers to pedophiles and pervs not identifying as a woman so they can get into the ladies room are the same ones calling for barriers to to a Constitutional right.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
ABC cancels recap of Apex Legends tournament, will show a hockey documentary instead.
The EXP Invitational Apex Legends at X Games tournament was due to be rebroadcast this Sunday, August 11, on ABC, but has now been pulled from the schedule. A letter addressed to ABC affiliates, posted to Twitter by esports consultant Rod Breslau, explains that this was done "Out of respect for the victims and all those impacted by the recent shootings".

The Apex Legends tournament in question took place at Minneapolis on August 2 and 3, and a condensed, hour-long highlight show was planned for broadcast this weekend. It was due to be Apex Legends' first appearance on TV in the US. The letter explaining its removal is dated August 6, two days after the mass shooting in Dayton took place.
Holy fuck.
The irony is, way more kids have died/been injured playing hockey, than playing video games.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I will note for the record that people that were calling me a transphobe because I wanted barriers to pedophiles and pervs not identifying as a woman so they can get into the ladies room are the same ones calling for barriers to to a Constitutional right.
A "well-regulated" right
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: I will note for the record that people that were calling me a transphobe because I wanted barriers to pedophiles and pervs not identifying as a woman so they can get into the ladies room are the same ones calling for barriers to to a Constitutional right.
A "well-regulated" right
No, a right of the people. A well regulated militia (which meant "well trained" or "in good working order") which had nothing to do with "being regulated by the government", was the reason the people were granted the right.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Suburban teens aren't the ones committing mass shootings. Makes zero sense.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Something I've already pointed out multiple times here. :)
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: Suburban teens aren't the ones committing mass shootings. Makes zero sense.
How did you come to that conclusion?
By looking at the list of mass shooters since 1982. Looks like fewer than 10% are teens. The teens are not the overriding issue here.
Leisher wrote:Something I've already pointed out multiple times here. :)
Touche'

I will also point out that the "may issue" laws apply to CCP's only (SCOTUS already cleared up on general puchases) and will have zero impact on availability of guns for purchase.
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

On Well Regulate
The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: By looking at the list of mass shooters since 1982. Looks like fewer than 10% are teens. The teens are not the overriding issue here.
The Columbine and other recent school shooters tend to disagree. And the point is that even if that 10% is stopped, great!

I'm all for preventing gun ownership/possession for people with criminal records, violent incidents, suicidal issues, severe mental health issues, etc.

Did your bullied teen post a hit list on social media? Your house can no longer have guns until they move out. Sorry.

That's how I envision "may issue" working.
Vince wrote: I will also point out that the "may issue" laws apply to CCP's only (SCOTUS already cleared up on general puchases) and will have zero impact on availability of guns for purchase.
Now if that's legit and it only applies to CCP, then yes, I would also have a major issue with it as it would be pointless. Nobody gets a CCP for a rifle, and how many of the mass shooters have actually had CCPs?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Walmart hasn't sold semi-automatics in about 3 years. They stopped selling handguns back in the 90's. They pretty much just sell hunting rifles and shotguns now. They have an age restriction of 21 for any fire-arm. By contrast, they removed signage. Not the games. The games remain right there in the display case. The point this poster was trying to make is retarded.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: By contrast, they removed signage. Not the games. The games remain right there in the display case. The point this poster was trying to make is retarded.
I think the point was that removing the signage does nothing.
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Now if that's legit and it only applies to CCP, then yes, I would also have a major issue with it as it would be pointless. Nobody gets a CCP for a rifle, and how many of the mass shooters have actually had CCPs?
"May issue" today only applies to CCPs. I don't know if they're proposing anything like that for purchasing a firearm, but I wouldn't imagine that would hold up under the Heller vs DC SCOTUS ruling.
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: By contrast, they removed signage. Not the games. The games remain right there in the display case. The point this poster was trying to make is retarded.
I think the point was that removing the signage does nothing.
The point is retarded and demonstrates a lack of understanding what Walmart even sells. Posted by someone that has a vague understanding that there's a sporting department in Walmart that sells hunting stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Walmart should put their rifles right there in the Back-to_School supplies, because they're so evil.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Walmart should put their rifles right there in the Back-to_School supplies, because they're so evil.
Like this?