Gun Control catch all

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

"Australia banned guns and they don't have mass shootings."

Not true.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: "Australia banned guns and they don't have mass shootings."

Not true.
4 people the worst gun-based massacre in 23 years? That's like a slow Thursday in Chicago.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: "Australia banned guns and they don't have mass shootings."

Not true.
4 people the worst gun-based massacre in 23 years? That's like a slow Thursday in Chicago.
Sadly, that is accurate.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

I don't know about yalls school districts, but ours is absolute garbage when it comes to handling bullying. Our kids haven't had to deal with it, but some of our friends' kids have, and the school system is completely worthless. It's no wonder these kids decide to try and get revenge on their own.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

They're all fucking terrible. Some of it is the fault of administrators either doing nothing or having no power to do anything. Some of it is the nature of the beast as dealing with teens is a nightmare at best. They're all so fucking stupid, narcissistic, and full of fear that doing the right thing can actually lead to worse treatment for the victim.

Toledo actually has a school full of nothing but "problem children". Kids who are behavioral issues and who don't respond to discipline or authority get sent there.

Honestly, that might be the way to go everywhere. If your town is too small for it, then you work something out with surrounding communities to create it or use theirs. And if there's a shooting there, well, better there than the school of well behaved kids trying to learn, right?
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Most school districts don't exist to educate children, they use that as their schtick to pay the bills, both with local, and state money (and federal? idk). They get this with a combination of "how many asses in seats, today?" and sometimes, state testing scores. My local public school district gets paid according to those test scores, so they spend a minimum of a month each school year teaching to that test. They claim they don't publicly, but the kids tell a different story of multiple practice tests every day, with threats and punishments for poor performance.

Getting rid of problem children doesn't keep asses in seats. (Lawsuits are probably another wrinkle in the situation... parents can be sue-happy when their little Psychotic Johnny is treated poorly, and legal defense hurts the school district's primary objective: making $$$.) Letting a single kid suicide out is a better solution for them, all around, especially financially. Sometimes it even makes the school calm and somber, for a week. Win/win for the school.

I hadn't heard about Toledo's solution. I'd like to see it expanded, every kid gets a psychiatrist to determine where the anger is coming from. If it's something environmental and can be fixed, fix it. If it is a broken brain, deal with it accordingly. Let them live a safe life as a lobotomy, or something.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

My sister-in-law is a school shrink for a nearby school district.

The stories I hear from her are fucking insane.

Ditto for my wife who this last year was an aide in an kindergarten class. They see red flags all over the place, but they're powerless to do anything about it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: My sister-in-law is a school shrink for a nearby school district.

Ditto for my wife who this last year was an aide in an kindergarten class. They see red flags all over the place, but they're powerless to do anything about it.
The schools here make me want to pull a Vince.

But I mostly like living close to stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Just think about how many quiet people around you, every day, were these child nutballs who never received help, shuffled through the system as fast as possible so it became "someone elses problem."
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: My sister-in-law is a school shrink for a nearby school district.

The schools here make me want to pull a Vince.

But I mostly like living close to stuff.
Was saying that to my gfriend the other day. I'm already living her dream life out here in the country, but I told her I'd prefer to chuck it all and, say, move to Wyoming. But I'd need to have fast internet, so that's pretty much a deal breaker.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: move to Wyoming. But I'd need to have fast internet, so that's pretty much a deal breaker.
Yeah. My job lets me live wherever I want. But I do need to be able to get to work conveniently once a month or every other month. And I need fast/reliable internet. And I like Amazon delivering the same day/next day, and my kids love their climbing gym, and I like our neighborhood, and restaurants and stuff.... etc, etc.

So we stayed here. But we're thinking about living somewhere else a couple of months a year.
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

I missed not having next day Amazon at first. Amazing how fast you adjust. Aside from work requirements, most of the things we think we can't live without we lived without most of our lives. Our society is pretty soft now.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I missed not having next day Amazon at first. Amazing how fast you adjust. Aside from work requirements, most of the things we think we can't live without we lived without most of our lives. Our society is pretty soft now.
I won't argue. In leaning into soft right now :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

7 motorcyclists killed by a shooter...I mean by one guy driving a pickup truck.

Someday they'll ban those things and end all this senseless death.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: 7 motorcyclists killed by a shooter...I mean by one guy driving a pickup truck.

We we're just there last week. TONS of motorcycles in that area up and down the highways and on the mountain. Roads are narrow and twisty
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: 7 motorcyclists killed by a shooter...I mean by one guy driving a pickup truck.

Not for nothing, this guy was a Ukrainian here on a green card. He had a recent DUI, but more importantly, a heroin and cocaine conviction in 2017. Why in the hell was he still in this country? What the hell is wrong with us?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Not for nothing, this guy was a Ukrainian here on a green card. He had a recent DUI, but more importantly, a heroin and cocaine conviction in 2017. Why in the hell was he still in this country? What the hell is wrong with us?
The fuck?
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: What the hell is wrong with us?
A lot.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

I just checked the secret threshold for how many deaths from immigrants we will tolerate. We aren't there yet, so chill out about it.