Gun Control catch all

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

I'll put this here since we don't have a thread about the Florida school shooting.

An armed cop was at the school when the shooting occurred, but was too scared to confront the shooter.

This has been discovered by cops watching the tapes. They tried to suspend him without pay, but he resigned instead. He has to live with his cowardice for the rest of his life. I don't know how a person could continue on with that knowledge.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Gun Control catch all

Post by Cakedaddy »

Bah. Not everyone is a hero. I bet his wife and kids are glad he didn't engage. He shouldn't be a cop. But, it's not required that everyone has to put their life on the line for others.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

True, not everyone is a hero, and he certainly shouldn't be a cop.

However, I was simply pointing out that he had to do something most people don't. He had to face a situation which showed who he really is, and now he has to live with that. No matter how he tries to lie to himself, he will live knowing people died because he was too scared to do anything. I don't believe he should be punished or even can be punished worse than that. Although in the military you would be punished for such inaction.
Cakedaddy

Gun Control catch all

Post by Cakedaddy »

Meh. A lot of people would be fine with that. No way of telling if he's suffering. Hell, no way of knowing if anyone would have been saved. Maybe he'd just be another dead one and it would have changed the killer's focus and he'd taken a different path and things could have been worse. Lots of ways to convince yourself you did the right thing. Lots of people would think "fuck you. I'm alive."
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

There's a scene in my 3rd book when some uniformed officers fuck up, and they are dressed down by a superior... who on one level is really putting his feet all up in their asses, but is at the same time trying to motivate them to be better men. "You wear that uniform. It represents security, and hope. The only hope you represent right now is hoping there's another donut."

Or words to that effect.

So, uh. Let's hope that guy learned something about himself. He shouldn't be representing hope and security if he's going to flee when children need it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Van hits school in India killing 9 children.

Can't wait to read the NY Times editorial asking if we'll choose cars or our children.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Good news! The gun debate is over!

Dick's stops selling what it already wasn't selling.

At least that's how social media is acting. Dick's is being treated like they're the second coming of Christ.

It amazes me how many people are getting completely manipulated by the "guns + money > kids" argument. I won't say people are stupid, but they are leading their emotions guide them.

These people would be shitty superheroes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: These people would be shitty superheroes.
Iron First comes to mind, and he's a pretty shitty super hero so far.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Good news! The gun debate is over!

Dick's stops selling what it already wasn't selling.

At least that's how social media is acting. Dick's is being treated like they're the second coming of Christ.

It amazes me how many people are getting completely manipulated by the "guns + money > kids" argument. I won't say people are stupid, but they are leading their emotions guide them.

These people would be shitty superheroes.
That story was amazing to me. I saw the initial reports and was thinking, I stopped going there when they decided they weren't going to sell AR-15's after Sandyhook. That was some grade A virtue signalling there.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince

Gun Control catch all

Post by Vince »

"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Today students across the nation are going to walk out for 17 minutes for the 17 victims in Parkland.

I have no issue with that.

However, the message being sent is "more gun control", which I disagree with.

(By the way, fuck you NRA for the "video game violence" debate being shoved down our throats right now. Don't try to deflect by attacking our innocent pastime.)

What I do find interesting is this movement on the interwebs about these shootings that isn't about gun control or video games, but is calling out the students for excluding people. Basically pointing out that if they weren't so clicky, bullying, and so on, that perhaps these loners wouldn't come back to school and shoot the place up.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Saw an interesting parallel yesterday between school shooters, and the trend away from spanking young children.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Saw an interesting parallel yesterday between school shooters, and the trend away from spanking young children.
Oh yeah, spanking's great.

Watching Fox News?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

To be fair, that study isn't exactly definitive. LOTS of variables there they don't factor in, the most foremost being an individual's uniqueness.

I'm not countering you, just pointing out that study's weaknesses. Other studies have shown kids who get beat, beat their kids; kids of alcoholics often become alcoholics; kids who get molested, molest people; etc.

That all being said, I think a swift swat on the rump, not so much for pain but to get attention, when they're wee ones incapable of having a logical conversation is probably ok. Certainly FAR less likely to make someone drink when they're older as opposed to whooping on some older child who you can verbally engage.

Studies show you shouldn't beat 'em. Science proves you can't reason with them. The law says you can't touch them.

Yeah, it's really amazing kids are growing up feeling entitled and not fearing consequences. :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Saw an interesting parallel yesterday between school shooters, and the trend away from spanking young children.
Oh yeah, spanking's great.

Watching Fox News?
No, I never watch the news. Do you?
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Student suspended for not walking out of class (pro gun control) or sitting in a common room (anti gun control).

I really hope the people pushing this anti gun thing keeps making sure to draw a hard line. I'm certain this will all work out for them in the end without a drop of blood being shed.
Cakedaddy

Gun Control catch all

Post by Cakedaddy »

All of the interviews of kids I heard, and all of the speeches made by the 'student leaders' had the same theme. The adults need to do more for the children. NONE of the kids were taking responsibility for what's happening.

I think Facebook and cell phones are the blame for the rising suicide/murder. Take away the cellphones and facebook, and the kids have an escape. Back in my day. . . . if you got bullied, it stopped when you got home. But now, kids log on and subject themselves to it 24/7. If you don't like what people say about you. . . STOP READING IT fuck head.]

But ya. Over and over, I heard about how the teachers and adults need to do more to engage kids and protect them from themselves.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

happy-hour-20180313-124.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.