Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I was guessing the victim was white though, cuz it wasn't national news and all over twitter, etc.
You mean "was".
TheCatt wrote: He should have been afraid.
Oh, I think he was fine shooting her. Just pointing out how a police shooting where the races are reversed doesn't get real attention.

Jesse and Al aren't going to be marching down there anytime soon...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You mean "was".
If the victim had been black it would have been headline news instead of just a repeated AP-type story.
Leisher wrote: Oh, I think he was fine shooting her
Yeah, I have no idea what non-lethal means police officers typically have available. But Crazy women with scissors probably isn't going to kill you.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Eh. I have a lit of situational restraint, but I'd shoot someone coming at me with a knife, or scissors. Can still blind me.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

NC High School Asst coach fired for saying the n-word in my school district.
News outlets report John Hoskins resigned over the weekend from his post at Knightdale High School. WTVD-TV reports Hoskins, who is white, posted a now-deleted video to Instagram in which he said "white power" and the n-word.

Hoskins told the station Tuesday that "just to set the record, I'm not a racist." He says his black friends have given him the OK to use the word, as have players on the majority-black team that he coached. He says he posted the video and used the slur while caught up in celebrating the team's win against Corinth Holders High last week.
From another source
He said it happened one fun night at the bar. The 32-year-old coach at Knightdale High School was celebrating the team's win against Corinth Holders High, when he shouted: "White power, Knightdale. I still love you, N-----"

"Just to set the record, I'm not racist," Hoskins told ABC11 on Tuesday. "I don't mean it in a negative way."

Hoskins said he was caught up in a celebratory moment with friends both black and white.
So... "I still love you, n-word"... I can see as fine. But "White power, Knightdale"???
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Italian youth teams abandons plan to play in blackface.

But wait, there's a twist...
The Aurora Desio team, based near Milan, announced the initiative on Monday in response to an alleged incident of racial abuse against a 10-year-old black player.
"As a symbolic gesture of total condemnation of racism and support to all those who are its victims, some of our teams will play with their faces painted black," the club said in a statement on its Facebook page.
But on Wednesday, Aurora Desio director Alessandro Crisafulli told CNN that following criticism from black communities and organizations inside and outside Italy, the players will only have two black marks on their faces.
"We will paint two black fingermarks on the cheeks as a sign that we're all brothers and that the color of the skin doesn't matter," Crisafulli told CNN.
During a match on Saturday, the mother of an opposing player shouted "shit n*****" at the Aurora Desio player, according to the club, which posted an account on Facebook.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: If the victim had been black it would have been headline news instead of just a repeated AP-type story.
I see what you were doing.
TheCatt wrote: Yeah, I have no idea what non-lethal means police officers typically have available. But Crazy women with scissors probably isn't going to kill you.
As Gordon said, she can still cause permanent injury, if not, kill you. He might have even shot her in the leg (even though they are trained NOT to do that), but a gun shot anywhere can be fatal.
TheCatt wrote: So... "I still love you, n-word"... I can see as fine. But "White power, Knightdale"???
Seems pretty racist to me.

I'm down in SC right now and will be dinnering with the black version of me tonight. Even if he gave me permission to say "nigga" (note, no hard R), I never would.

I truly believe words only have the power you give them, but I also know that many people give words far more power than they should have, and there are consequences if you say them.

I think anyone should be able to say that word because it will indicate we've taken its power away, but I'm not willing to risk my life to prove that point.
TheCatt wrote: Italian youth teams abandons plan to play in blackface.
Was blackface ever a thing in Italy? Maybe it doesn't have the historical context there that it does here.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

KC voters rejecting MLK street name.

There's a big story there though. People claiming racism are going to be disappointed.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: KC voters rejecting MLK street name.

There's a big story there though. People claiming racism are going to be disappointed.
Many supporters of the Martin Luther King name suggested the opponents are racist, saying Save the Paseo is a mostly white group and that many of its members don't live on the street, which runs north to south through a largely black area of the city.
Claiming your opponents are racist? That's a new one. Hope it doesn't catch on as a debating tactic.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Black guy (named Foster) cited for eating on BART platform, which is apparently illegal. He was handcuffed for refusing to provide his name, and released when he provided it.
The full video shows that Foster did insult the officer and used a homophobic slur.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: The full video shows that Foster did insult the officer and used a homophobic slur.
I like how that's buried at the end of the article.

Seems like the officer did their job properly, someone was breaking the law, refused to cooperate, then when he did got cited and released, and the race card is being played where it shouldn't. What a shock.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: The full video shows that Foster did insult the officer and used a homophobic slur.
I like how that's buried at the end of the article.

Seems like the officer did their job properly, someone was breaking the law, refused to cooperate, then when he did got cited and released, and the race card is being played where it shouldn't. What a shock.
I find it a little weird that it's illegal to eat/drink, but I guess that's probably due to rats, and cleaning it up, etc. Is it illegal to poop on the platform? :)
Vince

Today in racism

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: I find it a little weird that it's illegal to eat/drink, but I guess that's probably due to rats, and cleaning it up, etc. Is it illegal to poop on the platform? :)
Given the things that are allowed in CA, I don't understand the crap they're giving the cop for enforcing a stupid law. If you don't like cops enforcing stupid laws, then don't elect stupid politicians.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: If you don't like cops enforcing stupid laws, then don't elect stupid politicians.
This forever and ever and ever.

People are completely ignorant, it seems, about how laws are created and by whom.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

"will.i.am is an asshole" also an appropriate headline
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

I.think he's an idiot for wearing headphones through a checkpoint.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Well that's a strange demographic to be attacking black churches.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

She was going to stab them. No shit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Sports commentator says that black QB's dark skin makes option plays more effective because the ball is harder to see against his skin and uniform. Gets suspended

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2019/12/49 ... ckson.html

At some point we can talk about things (skin color) that are real, right? Without just default offending people?