Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: There is no other race/sex that I would want to be right now.
I was about to respond earlier... "Let me know when you want to be black for the advantages, Leisher"
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Another protest going on in my town.

Do you see it? Look closely.

Sorry for the delay on the rest of this, but while you two are trying to equate me to David Duke :D , I'm being called a Libtard in a FB group because I think a school board member shouldn't be memes promoting racism, sexism, and suicide on his public FB wall. It's quite frustrating to be in the middle.
TheCatt wrote: And I'll disagree here, because it doesn't account for a lifetime of advantages that came before.
As a second generation American, my family, who started in extreme poverty did just fine. Not all of them, but more than half. There were no advantages. There are lots of examples of Black, Latino, Asian, etc. people doing the same, but for some reason I'm not allowed to bring them up. Nor am I allowed to point out the white trash whose families landed here.
Cakedaddy wrote: I would argue that most of the decision makers, from a random sampling, would be white. In all the places you've worked, how many POC were in positions of power compared to the number of white?
I don't understand. Are you agreeing with me then? I've already pointed out that whites are the majority, and thus, would naturally have a lot of jobs in power and otherwise. You might not believe this, but if you go to China most positions of power are filled by Chinese people. Is your mind blown?

But to your point, I've only had 9 jobs:
1. Paper Route - No fucking idea. I don't even know who I worked for.
2. Cook/Dishwasher (both at the same time) - Scrawny white guy
3. Greenhouse - Owned by a white family. (Best job I've ever had)
4. Video store - Latino woman boss. No idea about corporate.
5. Nightclub - Middle Eastern owners/managers
6. Military - POC in positions of power all over the place. My squadron commander was black, as was the radio shop's boss.
7. HP - White guy was my boss, but he was a middle manager type. No idea about the rest of the company.
8. TV - Black HR person. I don't think anyone was a POC other than her and a few on air people.
9. Where I am now - Two black managers at my site. One will be head of his department when the guy he's replacing retires at the end of this year. Our southern facility has one white manager and pretty much everyone else is black, including the site manager (the local boss of that facility).

NOTE I'm just re-reading this and see my mistake. It's late, I'm exhausted, and honestly so tired of this subject dominating EVERYTHING, and holy shit I cannot believe I forgot...

However, the most important thing to focus on is the percentages. In a fair and just world, each race would be represented by their percentage of society, right? Black people are at 13% of the population and own 7% of SMBs. That seems a bit skewed, but their numbers are much higher than 13% in places like DC, Georgia, Illinois, etc. and almost nil in places like Alaska, Utah, Montana, etc.

Now take a look at sports, TV, Movies, and Music and you'll see black people are represented in far, far greater percentages than 13%.

Now I'm sure you'll argue about talent and skill there, but there's racism both ways at play in these areas. Not to mention nepotism, favoritism, and other isms that gets people opportunities other people should have gotten.
Cakedaddy wrote: Yes, we are being blamed for a lot of stuff.
Literally, everything. That's not hyperbole. I've seen it all over the Twitters, joked about in stand up, only whitey can be the bad guy in movies anymore, and so on. That stuff is said when they're not saying the white man's contributions to the world were all stolen from POC. Yes, I know that's all bullshit. I know that's done by bigots, but it's out there.
Cakedaddy wrote: But nothing is really changing to any great degree.
Shit has changed in massive ways. We've had a black president. The most popular talk show host of all time was black. Sports are dominated by black people. Lots of colleges don't bother recruiting WRs and RBs if they're white. Loads of movies drop now with POC in the leads. Black people have so much political power that lootings, riots, etc. are going on because a lifelong criminal black man was killed by a scumbag cop and no politicians dare authorize real force to stop them. This global push to end police violence against black people comes while ignoring the murder of whites and Hispanics by cops, ignoring the crime rates by each race, the undisputed fact that the #1 killer of black men is black men, and so on. I saw a stat whose credibility I won't automatically assume, which is why I didn't put it in the previous sentence, but it was that a cop is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than kill an unarmed black male. Doesn't really matter if it's 18.5 or .5, if that number is above 0, it screams volumes about this discussion and where political power lies.
Cakedaddy wrote: We may be losing some advantage, but we (white males) still have one.
Yeah, there's more of us...here. You wouldn't be allowed to own land in some countries. Hell, if you did, they would have taken it from you.
Cakedaddy wrote: There is no other race/sex that I would want to be right now.
I'd take white female. Somehow they get white privilege AND get to claim to be oppressed.
TheCatt wrote: I was about to respond earlier... "Let me know when you want to be black for the advantages, Leisher"
It all depends on the situation. Dealing with cops? No thanks. Being up for promotion in a company desperate to get a POC into a management role due to government mandated quotas? Sign me up! Trying to get hired into Catt's company? I'll stay white. Trying to get a record deal? Please make me black. Trying to get laid in Utah? White please! Trying to bed a Kardashian? HA!

At this point, I'm walking away from this. It's exhausting and honestly depressing. I can't continue discussing a topic so in depth that we're not even on different sides of... It'd be like if we agreed to split a banana, but are now just arguing about what knife to use and which direction to slice.

You want to discuss it, I'd be happy to, but call me or meet me for lunch. I'm done typing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

It all depends on the situation
Life. Life is the situation. Your entire life.

Actually, my company is only slightly more than half white, now. No blacks, but 1 Latinx, 2 middle eastern, 3 Asians, I think.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Life. Life is the situation. Your entire life.
Then white women hands down and it's not even close.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

I do want to mention another trend that is REALLY getting under my skin: "Silence is complicity." Not to mention all the other "If you don't do and say EXACTLY what we want, you're a racist" bullshit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Yep. When both sides advocate violence that you want no part of, best you can hope for is to stay off their radar.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Then white women hands down
your pants?
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Yep. When both sides advocate violence that you want no part of, best you can hope for is to stay off their radar.
And hope you don't get caught hiding jews in your attic.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

People in Ontario fly Confederate flags... which... I just don't even know.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Black guy saves white guy in London protest.

Nobody knows who the white guy is or why he was being attacked.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Walt Disney Co. DIS +1.58% suspended top ABC News executive Barbara Fedida and launched an investigation into her behavior after allegations of racist remarks and other questionable practices were raised in a recent HuffPost article.

As senior vice president of talent relations and business affairs, Ms. Fedida holds tremendous clout within ABC News—where she negotiates contracts for the network’s top on-air talent and producers—as well as the clubby TV-news industry at large. She also holds sway over how and where resources are allocated inside the news division, which can factor into how stories are covered.

HuffPost published a story Saturday alleging that Ms. Fedida made a racially insensitive remark to colleagues about “Good Morning America” anchor Robin Roberts during a contract negotiation. According to the article, Ms. Fedida said the network wasn’t asking her to “pick cotton” in response to Ms. Roberts seeking an increase in salary.

In a statement, Ms. Fedida said, “throughout my career, I have been a champion for increased diversity in network news. Building a news division where everyone can thrive has been my life’s mission. I am proud of my decades of work of hiring, supporting and promoting talented journalists of color. And, unlike these heartbreaking and incredibly misleading claims about me, that track record is well-documented and undeniable.” Ms. Fedida didn’t respond to a request for further comment.

Disney executive
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

She said "pick cotton" in regards to her workload, and now she's fired?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: She said "pick cotton" in regards to her workload, and now she's fired?
She said it in response to a black person's (Robin Roberts) workload. She's suspended, I think, under investigation, not yet fired.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Oooohhhh.

Poor choice of words.

I grew up listening to my grandmother use the words "cotton pickin" as an expletive. "Get your cotton pickin hands out of the cookie jar," she'd say to us white grndkids. I sort of internalized that phrase, while giving it zero thought.

One day when I was 30 I was getting chemo, and my black nurse, with whom I had a good rapport, was about to inject me with the needles. I hate needles, so I was keeping the mood light joking around. I started to tell her, "Get your cotton pi...." (...ckin' needle away from me) and it suddenly, just then, occurred to me what that phrase implied.

Then I felt bad.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Oh shit, nobody saw the mistake in the picture I posted did they?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Oh shit, nobody saw the mistake in the picture I posted did they?
Is it the white supremecy one?
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Ha! Yes!

Remember kids, before you protest, use spellchecker!
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:Goodbye Aunt Jemima
I’ve always been partial to Log Cabin, like Leisher’s Republican group.