Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

And, therefore, fucking sucks.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

While I 1000% believe black people get worse sentences because of racism, any study that doesn't get into black culture is garbage.

Sorry, but when your culture celebrates the drug dealer and athlete over the person who works hard and goes to school you are far more likely to end up on the wrong side of the law. When your music celebrates "the worst word ever" to label your own people, you don't get to expect other people won't then assume the definition of that word towards you. You don't get to have a culture based on not working with law enforcement and/or treating them as villains and pretend that has no bearing on the numbers in the study. You don't get to label any black person as an "Uncle Tom" or "House Nigger" just because they suggest that maybe black people need to look inwards as well. A black man is more likely to kill a police officer than vice versa. And so on.

Hispanics represent a larger minority, don't have this culture, and don't deal with systematic racism. (Black people also suffer racism from Hispanics.)
Asians represent a smaller minority, don't have this culture, and don't deal with systematic racism. (Black people also suffer racism from Asians.)

You don't cure a disease by just making the symptoms that annoy you go away. You have to address every aspect of the disease. Right now our society is just pointing at whitey and saying, "YOU are the problem." Whitey is absolutely a huge part of the problem, but whitey isn't alone.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Antwon Rose Jr's mom is livid that Villanueva wouldn't wear her son's name on his helmet.
Michelle Kenney
15 hours ago
Let me very very very clear. The Pittsburgh Steelers took a team vote. Obviously one person didn’t like the results so they chose to do something different. I have nothing against vets and absolutely appreciate everything that they have done and continue to do for us. But this one person showed us exactly who he is and obviously he didn’t approve of how the vote turned out. In my opinion; that’s for his coach, team and organization to address NOT ME! While he was so busy being negative what it actually did now forced more people to engage in this conversation. I’m going to use this negative press and negativity to motivate me to hold the Pittsburgh Steelers even more accountable!!! Yes I believe in second chances but as we all know I believe in putting in the work and that’s how I base my collaborations. They came to me as a team/organization and I don’t care how good of an individual you are; if you are not a TEAM player then maybe you are playing for the wrong team!!! You can’t stop nothing god put in motion and I’m here for the long haul. Touchdown baby!!
For context, here's what Villanueva did and who he is:
While the Steelers players agreed to support Rose, who died after being shot by an East Pittsburgh police officer in June 2018, Villanueva honored Alwyn Cashe, a former Army sergeant who was killed while on active duty in Iraq.

Villanueva, a former Army Ranger, served two tours in Afghanistan. Cashe died in 2005 at age 35 when an explosive device detonated near his vehicle. Cashe was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for valor in combat.
FYI, yes Alwyn Cashe is black.

And now, here's context on Antwon Rose Jr.:
Antwon Rose II was a 17-year-old African-American who was fatally shot in East Pittsburgh on June 19, 2018 by East Pittsburgh Police Officer Michael Rosfeld after being involved in a near-fatal drive-by shooting.[2] He fled while officers were handcuffing the driver. Gunshot residue was later found on his hand.
He had committed armed robbery earlier and stole a gun, he had used it to attempt murder, and then he ran from the police.

Why exactly are we honoring him? What message is that sending to kids or the people you want to get behind your cause?

Meanwhile, the other guy died for his country and Villanueva is in the wrong for honoring him?

Go fuck yourself Ms. Kenney.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Why exactly are we honoring him? What message is that sending to kids or the people you want to get behind your cause?
He probably shouldn't have been killed, but yeah, I don't get why the Steelers decided to do this.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: He probably shouldn't have been killed
Agreed. Cops should only use lethal force when their lives are in danger or there's an immediate danger to the public.
TheCatt wrote: I don't get why the Steelers decided to do this
Because apparently anyone black killed by the police was unjustly killed. Which, by that logic, makes this whole movement even more racist considering they aren't saying shit about anyone else killed by police. I keep hearing about "equality", but this is all playing out more as black lives > everyone else's.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Black guy is pissed about the Steelers honoring Antwon Rose Jr.

https://youtu.be/gcFtQjmmIJI
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

The President should be more eloquent than an NFL lineman, right?
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
The President should be more eloquent than an NFL lineman, right?
I mean, that's a bit bigoted against NFL linemen, but yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

There's been protest creep. It's gone from "cops target black people," almost immediately to "white people suck, let's tear down more statues."

I think cops shouldn't kill people, but I'll also not support any message that becomes about making life harder for me or my kid.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Wells Fargo CEO says the "black talent pool" is limited and is now apologizing.

Serious question: What if he is correct? Not implying black people are any less capable, but what if their talent pool is dramatically lower because their culture emphasizes sports, entertainment, and crime over education?

Instead of just chastising him, or cancelling him, for saying something that offends weak minded people, shouldn't we instead look into why a CEO would say such a thing? If he has data and experience that helped him form this opinion shouldn't THAT be the talking point?

If it's found that his opinion is strictly based on ignorance, then yes, criticize him.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

By sheer demographics, the pool of blacks is smaller than whites.

But, facts are racist
Troy

Today in racism

Post by Troy »

Looks like he was speaking about their executive committee. They want to hire board members with experience but also want to hire POC. Guess who has been disproportionately unrepresented in those sorts of corporate committees in America's history?

I'm reminded of the NFL coach who recently said he noticed coaches of color generally had to be perfect individuals to break through. Those rare exemplars were the ones who got shots at the big time. Mediocre white coaches? Opportunity for days. Thus a disproportionate ratio, but still a few "but we have that one guy" examples to make the viewers happy.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Looks like he was speaking about their executive committee. They want to hire board members with experience but also want to hire POC. Guess who has been disproportionately unrepresented in those sorts of corporate committees in America's history?
And thus, he would be correct, so why is he being forced to apologize? Rather than address exactly the point you make, we force an apology. Who does apologizing for stating fact help?
Troy wrote: I'm reminded of the NFL coach who recently said he noticed coaches of color generally had to be perfect individuals to break through. Those rare exemplars were the ones who got shots at the big time. Mediocre white coaches? Opportunity for days. Thus a disproportionate ratio, but still a few "but we have that one guy" examples to make the viewers happy.
I think this a half truth. Sure, a stranger typically needs to be perfect, but I don't believe that's 100% true for all minorities or even not true for white guys. There is a lot of nepotism and old boy network bullshit in sports. People are always hiring friends, friends of friends, guys who had success at their previous jobs, guys on the staff on winning teams, and so on. How many times have we watched terrible coaches, white and black, get hired over and over or hang onto jobs far longer than they should?
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

BLM leader arrested for fraud.

I know, you're shocked someone would be personally profiting from all this social justice.

This is a gentleman who led a protest in this area and caused waves. He was big here, but travels to and from Atlanta. He's also an albino, which caused someone on a local FB group to call him "Talcum X". I laughed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: He's also an albino, which caused someone on a local FB group to call him "Talcum X". I laughed.
lol. I met a black woman in college who was albino. She made some comment about being a black woman, and I laughed.

It got awkward.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Ha!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

US citizens of Mexican ancestry fly Mexican flag
Jessica Zambrano and her husband Gustavo are US citizens. Jessica was born in the US; Gustavo is from Mexico but is now a US citizen.

To celebrate their heritage, the Zambranos flew an American and Mexican flag outside their home.

"It's nothing against the United States; we have an American flag too," Jessica said to WWAY. "We are proud of both parts, and it's just a representation of who our family is."

But that representation evidently offended someone. The Zambranos received an anonymous letter in the mail demanding they take down the Mexican flag.

The letter read, "When mother (expletive) like you fly your piece of (expletive) Mexican flag, that means war. The 2nd Amendment gives the (sic) right AND DUTY (with guns) to rid my country of people like you and your family. TAKE THE (expletive) FLAG DOWN! OR FEEL MY WRATH."
I think someone failed Constitutional Law class.