40 aint no joke - General fitness thread

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The first 45 minutes of the original P90X Yoga was one of the hardest workouts of all time.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nah, I gots respect for the yoga, if only because I know my own flexibility is so piss poor.

The hardest workouts in the Marines were the days when they would bring an aerobics instructor and the whole company would be out in the field trying to follow along with her. Kicked our asses within 10 minutes.... and that bitch keeps going the full hour.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:Nah, I gots respect for the yoga, if only because I know my own flexibility is so piss poor.

The hardest workouts in the Marines were the days when they would bring an aerobics instructor and the whole company would be out in the field trying to follow along with her. Kicked our asses within 10 minutes.... and that bitch keeps going the full hour.
Nah, I gots respect for the yoga, if only because I know my own flexibility is so piss poor.

"If I wanted to put my legs behind my head, I'd go to jail." - Dave Attell
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jake the Snake Roberts is a yoga believer.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This guy says take your protein powder after your workout.
http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-use-protein-powder/

This guy says take your protein powder before your workout.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun....es.html
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:This guy says take your protein powder after your workout.
http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-use-protein-powder/

This guy says take your protein powder before your workout.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun....es.html
After. It's a recovery thing, which is when muscles strengthen and increase in mass -- during rest. Lots of athletes carbo load before big-time races and such, but I don't know of any doing the same with steak.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If you work shoulders for a half hour then legs for a half hour, aren't shoulders in a "rest" period for a half hour while you work legs?

Wouldn't the proteins from a pre-workout shake be in your system at least through the duration of your workout?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:If you work shoulders for a half hour then legs for a half hour, aren't shoulders in a "rest" period for a half hour while you work legs?

Wouldn't the proteins from a pre-workout shake be in your system at least through the duration of your workout?
The shoulders might be sort of resting, but your legs are still pumping.

If you drink beforehand, then the only thing you really have to deal with is more liquid in your stomach. I generally don't and use post-workout time to rehydrate anyhow. I've heard vague hand-waving arguments about how your body reacts to processing food before versus immediately after a workout. I've heard them touted more if you end with a moderate or heavier cardio session.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I got this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Fo....=sr_1_6

Tried some about an hour after my workout, when I got home.... first timer.

I was surprised it actually tasted like somewhat bland Nesquick. I could drink some of this instead of a meal. I don't have a sweet tooth but when I have candy I prefer chocolate... so this stuff works.

Also I don't know why the container is so big when the powder only fills 50% of it. It isn't like a potato chip bag in which the air cushions the chips from getting crushed in transit.

edit - Also it would have been nice if they had included a "scoop" since according to the directions a unit of measurement is "If you weigh X-X, use one scoop..." So I just used a tablespoon as a "scoop." I don't know.

Edited By GORDON on 1448387513
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

60g per serving? Attempt to figure out some numbers instead of blindly spooning.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It wasn't making sense to me that they would use "scoop" as a unit of measure and not include a scoop.... I found it buried at the bottom of the powder. Looks like about 2 tablespoons.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So it looks like the stuff I bought is going to last me about 2 weeks, so I was shopping around amazon and I saw this

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Fo....m_121_2

And I just figured fuck it, might as well try it, because I have enough amazon credit card points to get it for free. So I'll review that when it arrives.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just learned that swimming headphones were a thing.

http://www.amazon.com/PSWB4BL....s_107_2

Anyone ever use them?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:So it looks like the stuff I bought is going to last me about 2 weeks, so I was shopping around amazon and I saw this

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Fo....m_121_2

And I just figured fuck it, might as well try it, because I have enough amazon credit card points to get it for free. So I'll review that when it arrives.
Always go 100% whey protein.
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

GORDON wrote:I just learned that swimming headphones were a thing.

http://www.amazon.com/PSWB4BL....s_107_2

Anyone ever use them?
Seems like something that'd break in some minor way after 90 days, leaving you to spend forty more dollars and another hour importing and organizing your music.

According to a review for that model, water can get into the bud interior, for example if it fits poorly or falls out, and then the sound gets muddy.
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So if a girl has angel wings tattooed on her shoulder blades, that pretty much means she is would have the opposite mentality of any judeo-christian angel, right?
Troy

Post by Troy »

probably dtf
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:So if a girl has angel wings tattooed on her shoulder blades, that pretty much means she is would have the opposite mentality of any judeo-christian angel, right?

It means they:

a) have horrible taste in tattoos
b) have way too high an opinion of themselves

I have never met a sane one.

Edited By Malcolm on 1449083480
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

GORDON wrote:So if a girl has angel wings tattooed on her shoulder blades, that pretty much means she is would have the opposite mentality of any judeo-christian angel, right?
Judeo-Christian angels order people around, trample their lives, and act like HNIC 24/7, all in service to some invisible "I'm right but I won't explain why and you just have to trust me" bullshit.

On top of all that, Old Testament angels are scary as shit. Coincidentally, as she ages....