Diet....contest?

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Diet....contest?

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:I've been super slack the past month. Being on vacation for every day except 5 will do that to me, apparently.

Got back last night at 222. 220 this morning. Rock climbed, fasted, and biked 50 minutes today, around 216 tonight (hydrated), before dinner (giant salad + cheese + pepperoni). Back at it.
Exactly my problem. It's impossible to eat properly when it is restaurants twice a day. The kid goes back to school Tuesday, diet and workout routines are back on, and I expect to be about 218 when I step on the scale Wednesday morning, up from a low of 202 at the beginning of summer.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I was down to 209 pre-vacation. This morning after a couple of no-carb days and exercise, back to 213.8 ( from 222 the night I returned)
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

New protein numbers. Highlights:
This study is the first to find and address whether your total lean body mass influences muscle protein synthesis response to resistance exercise combined with protein intake. And they're suggesting guys with more muscle mass don't need more protein after resistance exercise. There was no difference in the muscle growth response to protein after a full body workout between larger and smaller participants when looking at muscle biopsies and blood plasma analyses (including levels of muscle-building leucine).

“There is a widely-held assumption that larger athletes need more protein, with nutrition recommendations often given in direct relation to body mass," study author Kevin Tipton said in a press release. "In our study, participants completed a bout of whole-body resistance exercise, where earlier studies—on which protein recommendations are based—examined the response to leg-only exercise. This difference suggests the amount of muscle worked in a single session has a bigger impact on the amount of protein needed afterwards, than the amount of muscle in the body.”
Researchers found participants’ muscles were able to grow and recover quicker and more efficiently from exercise after consuming a higher dose of protein (i.e. 40g over 20g). This increase occurred regardless of how big the participant was.

“Until now the consensus among leading sports nutritionists, including the American College of Sports Medicine and the British Nutrition Foundation, is that weightlifters do not need more than around 25 grams of protein after exercise to maximally stimulate the muscle’s ability to grow," Tipton adds.
“In order for nutritionists to recommend the correct amount of protein we first need to consider specific demands of the workout, regardless of athletes’ size," Tipton explains. This throws commonly held recommendations into question and suggests the amount of protein our muscles need after exercise may be dependent on the type of workout performed.

*These results are limited to younger, trained men so results may differ with older men and women of varying ages and experience levels. But if you're an experienced lifter, you might want to consider upping your protein intake after full-body routines.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:I was down to 209 pre-vacation. This morning after a couple of no-carb days and exercise, back to 213.8 ( from 222 the night I returned)
210.2 this morning. Even after a football weekend.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Been thinking about getting a scale. I'm curious.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I thought this was funny. Busy, weird schedule all day yesterday.

Yesterday:

WOke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.

I had 2 cups of coffee during the morning commute.

I swam a mile at 8am.

I had a protein shake right after.

Fasted.

I ate arby's at 8pm, their giant roast beef sammitch, a small order of curly fries, and a small diet coke.

I was 2 pounds lighter this morning than I was yesterday.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Yeah, but on the downside you went to Arby's and consumed their radioactive waste food.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Gained a shitload of weight after surgery, some of that literal as the opiods plugged me up good. I was 222 at one point... now 214. Need to hit 200 by 12/16
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have been 209ish the last couple weeks, but still on track for 200 by New Year's. 199.9 is going to be noteworthy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Gonna party like you're 199.9?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Exactly! And I want to hit 190 by the next Florida Mancation in March. Then I need to take a long look in the mirror and see what I see.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:Gained a shitload of weight after surgery, some of that literal as the opiods plugged me up good. I was 222 at one point... now 214 (11/14). Need to hit 200 by 12/16
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think with my current habits my weight is sticking to 208.... that means I don't eat lunches, ever. But I get tired of fasting and eat on weekends because everyone is off work and school and always wanting to be eating and I gain 5 pounds, then I lose them all again by Friday.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Typically, fasting is better if you skip breakfast or dinner, not lunch. And you should eat something after lifting/swimming,fat, protein + light carbs, imho.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well, I say "fasting" but probably not really. I drink a protein shake after every workout/swim because i don't want to be losing muscle while I am losing weight. It takes the edge off the midday hunger but I am usually starving by 5. I eat at 6 and if I have willpower that's it until the next 10am protein shake.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

After an insane weekend of eating I was 214 Monday morning. I was 208 this morning. It's cray.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That's a lot of poop.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Right?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

After my surgery, I was stopped up for about 3-4 days, and was eating like a cow. I went to 222. 4 days later, after finally getting unplugged + eating better, I was down to 213.6
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If I could just have willpower for one weekend.... don't get fast food with the kid on Friday night.... don't eat pizza with the family saturday night.... I'd be down to 202 by the following Friday. But alas. I have the willpower of a bitch, sometimes.