Diet....contest?

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

thibodeaux wrote:WTF? Yeah, why try the easy way?

I'm telling you fools: DITCH THE CARBS. You will FEEL BETTER. You will LOOK BETTER. YOU WILL BE HEALTHIER.

Grains are NOT FOOD. They mess up your immune system. They mess up your insulin. They make you fat. You are better off without them.

Seriously. Don't tell me you don't want to. *I* didn't want to, but I'm glad I did.

Also, give up the Cardio, and lift weights for 20 minutes, once a week. THAT'S IT.

Or don't. Be a fool, and waste your time. Be a starving fatass lardbutt diabetic with arthritis.
You'd be all over giving up food altogether for a single pill that constitutes an entire meal, I bet.

You never eat french fries, pizza, breaded hot wings, or hamburgers?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:Thib, where's that chain talking about what you eat and don't eat? I'm curious about that diet, but obviously skeptical. It can't be that simple without side effects. Right? Right? Anyone?
I dunno; I think it's called "diet and exercise."

But it IS that simple, and if there are side effects, I don't notice; maybe I've acclimated.

If I were to recommend two books, they would be:

1. The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle for diet

2. Body By Science for exercise

They are both fairly short, although Body By Science has some, like, science that was hard for me to follow. Check your local library.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Whew.

Just had 2 burritos that had about a half head of lettuce between the two (80% lettuce/tomato, I estimate). Add a little beef and refried beans, tomato and a little cheese and onion, and it was probably 2 pounds and 1000 calories.

Add that to the 300 calorie lean cuisine for lunch, the biscuit w/honey for breakfast, and I am approx 1500 calories for the day... and I feel bloated at the moment, heh.

I hope all of that lettuce and tomato doesn't screw up my weigh-in in the morning.

Edited By GORDON on 1292370288
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It just occurred to me to wonder why I ate TWO of them, when my hunger was sated by the first one.

I think I went a little insane.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

, two rashers of bacon or a ham sandwich, for example

Evidently the site is English.
Anyhow the site makes you email question instead of having a vocabulary section. What is BMI? Does it stand for Body Mass Index? And why the hell is it important?
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Also, if you really want to take the anti-carb Red Pill, and understand WHY your doctor incorrectly believes the whole grains are good and fats are bad, you MUST read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Here's his latest blog post:
http://www.garytaubes.com/2010/12/calories-fat-or-carbohydrates/
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote:You never eat french fries, pizza, breaded hot wings, or hamburgers?
Not never, but almost never. There was free pizza at work yesterday---really good pizza---and I just ate my bacon and eggs that I brought, plus I scraped some meat and cheese of a slice.

I've never really been into hotwings. Hamburgers, I skip the bun.

Fries, being potatoes, aren't as bad as grains. They're starchy, so you gotta be careful. Grains just are NOT people food. They're grass seeds. If if they didn't make you fat, they would still be bad because they make you sick.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:I'm thinking about trying HIIT beginning in January. Need an exercise bike though as I don't want to run. I want to be able to do this at home.
I joined a low-cost gym that has machines so that I could do weightlifting to failure. I have a set of free weights at home, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of doing, say, bench presses to failure by myself. Fortunately, there's a gym about 5 minutes from my house that charges $7/month.

In the summer I was doing Tabata sprints once a week or so. But since I read Body By Science, I'm just doing the machines. Been doing that for a couple of months. I may tweak it some next year.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That article you linked is pretty interesting. I don't want to do an all meat diet, ala Adkins, but that guy makes really compelling points about how cutting carbs is the key to weight loss and weight management.

Like Gordo, I enjoy hamburgers, I make great pizza, and I even like croutons on my salads.

I also like my current every 2 hour eating method. It definitely has affected my metabolism. Essentially, it's nothing more than grabbing a piece of fruit or anything with 100 or so calories every 2 hours to keep "the furnace burning."

I guess I just need to do some research on what food options would be best for me to cut down on carbs, but not completely eliminating them.

I'm also 99% sure that I'm going to start off in January with HIIT and probably the P90X ab workout. I love P90X and from all the research I've seen, of the workout fads/ideas/etc. that came out last year, the two that everyone (experts) agrees work are P90X and HIIT. The key being commitment.

I did 90 days of P90X this summer and it went well, but the weight loss/body defining is really slow. Probably because I didn't stick to their exact diet, do more than the minimum, have the proper weights I needed, and because I worked out every night at 10 p.m. I loved the P90X program, but 60 minutes a night, 6 nights a week is damn near impossible with three kids, a wife, a full time job, friends, poker/golf league, and other interests than just working out.

HIIT is 20 minutes maximum, 3 or 4 days a week. The only key to this working is that you have to be gassed when you're done. If you're not, then you're not doing it right.

I don't know. I've got a few weeks to figure out what diet and exercise plan is going to work best for me given my current situation.

How'd you like Tabata Thib?

Edited By Leisher on 1292425306
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:I also like my current every 2 hour eating method. It definitely has affected my metabolism. Essentially, it's nothing more than grabbing a piece of fruit or anything with 100 or so calories every 2 hours to keep "the furnace burning."
Yeah, only that "burning furnace" stuff is BS, also. It's better to eat fewer, larger meals, and then go long periods without eating. This is called "intermittent fasting" or IF.
HIIT is 20 minutes maximum, 3 or 4 days a week. The only key to this working is that you have to be gassed when you're done. If you're not, then you're not doing it right.

Yes, exactly. But you probably don't even need to do it that often. P90X is, IMHO, overtraining, and really wastes a lot of time. You don't need to workout every day for an hour, and you sure don't need to do cardio.

How'd you like Tabata Thib?

I thought I was gonna pass out. Honestly, I think doing slow-motion weights to failure is the way to go if you can get that situation.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

thibodeaux wrote:
Leisher wrote:I also like my current every 2 hour eating method. It definitely has affected my metabolism. Essentially, it's nothing more than grabbing a piece of fruit or anything with 100 or so calories every 2 hours to keep "the furnace burning."
Yeah, only that "burning furnace" stuff is BS, also. It's better to eat fewer, larger meals, and then go long periods without eating. This is called "intermittent fasting" or IF.
And just to expand on this: if you're trying to lose bodyfat, the last thing you want to do is be constantly spiking your insulin---i.e., eating fruit all the time. Insulin is what causes your body to store calories as fat. This is the fundamental fact that is behind the success of low-carb dietingl
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I think I'm going to try the 4 hour body diet version. I like the one day off thing... and the addition of beans (versus paleo) will probably do a lot to keep me sane.

I just need to work up a menu before I start.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

IMHO, if you eliminate grains and sugar, that's like 90% of what you need to do, and will yield FANTASTIC results. I bet youse guys could get 20 or 30 pounds of weight loss, just from that (assuming you were that much overweight).
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So let's say I am doing it my way, reducing my portions and still eating a regular menu of meat, grains, potatoes, etc... just taking in fewer calories than I burn every day in order to lose weight.

If I decide to take a day and, literally, eat 2 pounds of New York Strip over the day and nothing else, will I continue to lose weight that day?
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote:So let's say I am doing it my way, reducing my portions and still eating a regular menu of meat, grains, potatoes, etc... just taking in fewer calories than I burn every day in order to lose weight.

If I decide to take a day and, literally, eat 2 pounds of New York Strip over the day and nothing else, will I continue to lose weight that day?

Will you lose weight THAT DAY? I don't know. But if you make this your standard operating procedure (maybe eat half the steak for lunch and half for dinner) for a month, then hell yes, you will lose body fat.

Think about this: when you restrict your calories, do you think you're eating more or less carbs than you usually do? Control that variable and get back to me on the weight loss.

Edited By thibodeaux on 1292440257
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote:
thibodeaux wrote:

And just to expand on this: if you're trying to lose bodyfat, the last thing you want to do is be constantly spiking your insulin---i.e., eating fruit all the time. Insulin is what causes your body to store calories as fat. This is the fundamental fact that is behind the success of low-carb dietingl

How long ago was this book written? I cannot remember the source, I think it was a network morning news show, but the whole eating all day thing was confirmed to help your metabolism. I remember it not being "the key" or end all be all of dieting, but it was proven to have some effect.

I may be completely wrong, but I swear I just saw something about that. The reason it's in my head is because I came up with this eat every two hours thing on my own 2 years ago when I lost 30 pounds in 30 days doing this diet and Wii Fit. I remember thinking the report was validation of my methods.

Back to the 4 hour diet, what does one do about fiber? Is there a requirement or suggestion for water intake? (I remember something about Adkins dieters needing a lot more than normal per day?)

You've convinced me enough to grab the book for my iPad this evening to get more details and see if I can make a menu I like.

One more thing: Is this a lifestyle change? If so, how does you body adjust to losing all that body fat? In other words, are there potential negatives ahead that maybe get avoided by altering some things once you hit your target weight? If it's just a diet, how quickly does the weight come back?

Edited By Leisher on 1292441127
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

If it works for you, go for it. I still think you're missing a bet, though.

As for fiber: you don't need fiber.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And out of curiosity, Thib, what do you have against cardio?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I still think you're missing a bet, though.

A wager?

As for fiber: you don't need fiber.

You've got to prove that one to me. Is it in the book? Or are you just saying the diet gives you fiber?
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote:And out of curiosity, Thib, what do you have against cardio?

Cardio is stupid. It's damaging to your body and it's a timesuck.

This pic says it all.

Of course, that's a little disingenuous: top sprinters don't have those bodies because they're sprinters; they're top sprinters because they have those bodies. Still, for regular joes like you and me, which end of the spectrum would you rather work toward?

Edited By thibodeaux on 1292455276