Diet....contest?

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

You didn't watch the video, did you?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Dude, I totally watched the whole thing in the 6 minutes between when you posted it and when I said stuff.

An hour is a bit of a commitment. I'd love the executive summary.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Executive summary: Calories in - calories out is BS.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

All righty.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, my body's been equivalating food with staying awake, mostly carbs and crap with the baby (and baby's reflux, and having a 3week cold).... so I've been eating like shit.

But I just made a $100 bet with a co-worker to lose 15% by June 1st, so now there's money on the line.

Today: 213.5 lbs goal: 181.5
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Way easy money.

And I weigh less than you at the moment. ;)
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Let me clarify a bit. There's two hypotheses about why your body gains fat:

1. Your body gains fat because you eat too much or don't exercise enough (or both).
2. Your body gains fat because something's wrong with your metabolism, and THAT'S why you eat "too much" or don't exercise. Your body is literally starving because it's shoving energy into fat and not letting you use it.

The science is clear: Carbs drive insulin drives fat. Period. Fat is deposited in the presence of insulin, and it's mobilized in the absence of insulin. Eating carbs spikes your insulin.

Will you lose weight if you starve yourself? Sure. But you'll not necessarily maintain a healthy body composition. In other words, you will lose muscle and organ tissue. That sure sounds healthy. But hey, at least you won't do something crazy like eliminate a whole "food group."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, "eat less/exercise" is just insanity.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I love that there is a related video called "fire fart"

Edited By Troy on 1294248958
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote:Yeah, "eat less/exercise" is just insanity.
It literally is, because it's tried over and over, but doesn't succeed. In the video, Taubes quotes obesity researchers who point this out: eat less and exercise more has does not work.

The reason is that it does not address the real problem. The real problem for people whose bodies have too much fat is a metabolic problem.

Look, evolutionarily it doesn't make sense that you'd have to count calories to maintain a healthy body composition, since we've only understood calories for maybe a couple hundred years. If your body is healthy, it AUTOMATICALLY regulates your weight and composition, just like it AUTOMATICALLY regulates your body temperature. Duh!

So, you know, if you've got a fever, it's because you're too hot, so you should take a cold shower, right? No! Your immune system is creating the fever to fight the infection; the fever is a SYMPTOM of your body being unhealthy. Likewise, too much fat is a SYMPTOM of your body being unhealthy. Treat the disease, not the symptom.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:Way easy money.

And I weigh less than you at the moment. ;)
Well, it's a competition to lose 15%, so we're both trying to lose the same amount.

Winner gets $100 * difference in weight loss between us.

So if I lose 7.5%, he loses the full 15%, he gets $50, etc.

Today's lunch was 3 soft tacos with black beans and refried beans. No cheese, just veggies on the meat.

Threw away the tortillas, and ate the rest.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I had an egg roll and about a cup of white rice (1 cup after cooking). It is becoming my go-to lunch. Much more appetizing than a pre-packaged diet meal.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

As of right now, I am 14.6 pounds down from my starting weight. I think it's been about a month. Half way to the goal.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've lost 5 pounds since Monday.

I better slow it down and have a whopper combo for lunch.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Read a sample of the 4 Hour Body book that Thib talked about, and just got done ordering it.

Gonna combine it with H.I.I.T., which seems to be like the book's author did. I'll mix in some P90X ab and weight training too. No cardio though, H.I.I.T. will take care of that.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I just ate 5 slices of bacon, 5 scrambled eggs, and half a ribeye. Plus probably 8 oz of non-skim milk mixed with heavy cream.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

You guys ever heard this one about how much water you should drink in a day. Take your body weight divide it in half. That is the number of ounces of water a day to stay hydrated. For me that is 148 oz. Over 2 gallons. Seems like an awful lot. And I'm sure I don't.
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

That sounds bogus.

On another note, if you only read one more book ever in your whole entire life, read this one.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

unkbill wrote:You guys ever heard this one about how much water you should drink in a day. Take your body weight divide it in half. That is the number of ounces of water a day to stay hydrated. For me that is 148 oz. Over 2 gallons. Seems like an awful lot. And I'm sure I don't.
Uh, no. That seems like a LOT. You take in quite a bit of water through things you normally ingest (the primary ingredient in pretty much ever liquid you drink is still or carbonated water). I've heard somewhere around 32 fl. oz. per day if you want a hard, fast digit. Drinking excessive amounts (not sure where 2 gallons fits in on that scale) of water can actually cause deficiencies in certain substances in your body due to, well, more water diluting your fluids.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

unkbill wrote:You guys ever heard this one about how much water you should drink in a day. Take your body weight divide it in half. That is the number of ounces of water a day to stay hydrated. For me that is 148 oz. Over 2 gallons. Seems like an awful lot. And I'm sure I don't.
I've been on hikes in the Marines where we sweat so much the salt crystals were visible on our camis, but I still don't think we drank 2 gallons of water that day. 1, easily, but not 2.