Diet....contest?

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm going to my favorite NC barbq place this weekend... best hushpuppies evar.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:Actually had a talk with the wife to check the feasibility of me and my son popping down there for a few days after xmas.

Turns out it is either Memphis, or more lumber for the basement project. Sigh.
I guess we know who controls the purse strings.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:I cannot remember the source, I think it was a network morning news show, but the whole eating all day thing was confirmed to help your metabolism. I remember it not being "the key" or end all be all of dieting, but it was proven to have some effect.

I may be completely wrong, but I swear I just saw something about that. The reason it's in my head is because I came up with this eat every two hours thing on my own 2 years ago when I lost 30 pounds in 30 days doing this diet and Wii Fit. I remember thinking the report was validation of my methods.
Resting energy expenditure in short-term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine

Your metabolic rate INCREASES with fasting.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

thibodeaux wrote:
GORDON wrote:Civilization first rose in Mesopotamia approx 10k years ago with the advent of agriculture, when one person could then feed two, leaving one person free to do something besides gathering food all day. I always assumed they were farming grains, though I guess I don't know for certain right at this moment.

Civilization in China was certainly founded on millet... as far as what my Ancient Civ prof told me 20 years ago.

SO..... geologically and evolutionarily speaking, 10k years ago is a blink, but it is the entirety of human history, strictly speaking.
Yes, it's the entirety of RECORDED human history, but anatomically modern humans have been around 200k years. And yes, agriculture is what made civilization, but if you look at the bones of the people that adopted it, vs. the bones of their contemporaneous hunter-gatherer neighbors, the farmers were smaller and sicker.

Can people eat grains and survive, even flourish? Of course; it's obvious. Should YOU eat grains? No, not if you want to be the healthiest you can be.
It has been along time since I read the Adkins book. Part of what I remember about grains was if you grind it very small there is something in the body that can't process it right. If you have to eat bread whole grain bread.
Wonder if that parallels sugar. 150 years ago the amount of sugar you would eat a year might be a cup if you had money enough to buy it. Now it is a cup or two a week. Funny how much more diabetes we have now than then.
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

unkbill wrote:It has been along time since I read the Adkins book. Part of what I remember about grains was if you grind it very small there is something in the body that can't process it right. If you have to eat bread whole grain bread.
Wonder if that parallels sugar. 150 years ago the amount of sugar you would eat a year might be a cup if you had money enough to buy it. Now it is a cup or two a week. Funny how much more diabetes we have now than then.
But you never HAVE to eat bread! Even the whole grains are unhealthy.

As for sugar and diabetes: absolutely!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Your metabolic rate INCREASES with fasting.

That doesn't disprove that it can also increase with multiple small snacks.

Still, you've had some good answers thus far. I think I'm sold enough to give it a shot. What the hell. Three months should be plenty of time to see how well it works.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

thibodeaux wrote:
unkbill wrote:It has been along time since I read the Adkins book. Part of what I remember about grains was if you grind it very small there is something in the body that can't process it right. If you have to eat bread whole grain bread.
But you never HAVE to eat bread! Even the whole grains are unhealthy.

As for sugar and diabetes: absolutely!
As far as I am concerned sugar is a poison. During the holidays and I am weak and eat candy it taste so good but later I feel so much like shit. If we put holidays closer together I might be able to remember this.
As for grain. Have to have my piece of toast with my eggs in the morning and I do like the occasional sandwich.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Hit a brick wall as far as weight loss goes and can't emass enough facts to decide how to handle it.
Things I know. This week I started my regiment of walking and lifting weights. I was doing some before but now it is on a schedule. I count my calories as close as possible. I eat around 2000 or less. Most of what I have read I could eat up to 2700 and still lose weight.
Things I don't know. If my calorie count is correct is a 700 calorie defficit to much and could make my body hit survival mode. I don't see my exercise putting on that much muscle this quick to nullify my weight lose.
Have done alot of reading but can't seem to nail down an answer.

Edited By unkbill on 1292681807
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Just thought of a varible I didn't mention from above. I started an anti-biotec last week. I was having some side effects so the doctor had me quit taking my vitamins. The magnesium and zinc screw up the drug. I try to eat balanced but I know better. I need a supliment you need proper diet to burn fat. Still don't know.

Edited By unkbill on 1292683039
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Ha Ha I guess the joke was on me. Thought I was doing well. Have been eating between 1800 and 2000 calories a day and I am not ever hungry. That is about 1000 cals less than I need to lose a pound a week. Have been doing alot of reading and I guess that many cals is like me going on a starvation diet. My body has stalled and gone into survival mode. I even gained a few pounds which is hard to take when I was doing the math and knew it was impossible.
Sticking to my daily walk but am going to raise the cals. Soemtimes I hate the holidays.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Well keeping my fingers crossed. Started eating more calories and have started to lose wieght again.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

How'd people do? I went back to eating around 2600 cals a day and have been losing weight. Pretty sure I should lose enough this week that if I gain some over new years I will still be down from x-mas. ie words less to lose back to be back to my low for the year.
Eating all those cals half fucks with my brain. When I was eating 1800 I didn't feel hungry at all. Now I feel like I am cheating or something.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have been getting screwed up by all the holiday parties, and they don't even let up until after the new year. Working hard to keep off what I have lost so far (9 pounds).
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I haven't really tried yet. Right now, I just want some normal people sleep.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, starting before the holidays is always rough. You needed to wait until mid-January.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Milestone: managed to drop over 10 full pounds.

Before tonight's party. And tomorrow night's party. And Saturday's party.

Ugh.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

I'm down 10 according to skinyo but I am actually down 14 from deer season. That would be down 41 from last x-mas. Hosting some friends over tonight. Thinking of skipping lunch to offset getting my calories by liquids.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ha. "Liquids."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

If you do nothing else, watch this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4362041487661765149#

It's an hour long, but it's worth it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've been taking in fewer calories than I have been burning. That's the big secret. Can't fail.

Down 12 pounds right now, and my appetite is growing smaller. Rarely ravenously hungry any more. Having an easier time ignoring the desire for a big snack at night.

My big problem is psychological. My brain equates eating with happiness, and I like my comfort food (I bet this is the major problem for 95% of overweight people). Have a cold right now and all I want to do is scarf down a pound of chicken wings, because that'll make me 'happy.'