Take a hike

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by GORDON »

Amusing.

Too bad the murderers aren't just in jail.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Take a hike

Post by Cakedaddy »

I always felt better about being in Detroit at 6am rather than 2pm. Not much better. But better. I was just hoping I wasn't too early and catching them on their way home.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:46 pm Zion is a great place for hiking, if you haven't been, but be prepared to be the only one in earshot speaking english. Peeps around me was all like "Oh it's so hot" and passing out and requiring rescue and stuff, but I was good in the hood.
I would say most around us spoke English, about 80%, maybe due to Covid. We went this past week, and had some fun. It was not quite as crowded as I had feared, but we also timed our stuff. We stayed in the lodge inside the park (note: internet there sucks balls. like could never get a web page to load, or rarely. But, messaging apps + email generally worked except texting when at the lodge).
'
We did some hikes in the eastern part of the park, explore a bunch off trail. We did the "emerald" pools, which were decidedly amber/swampy looking with low water flow. We did hikes along the river, we did the riverside walk up to the Narrows (need waders to navigate it). Also, the river is really disgusting. Looks pretty from a distance, but clearly has lots of bacteria + stuff.

Stella + I woke up early to do Scout's Lookout (to the base of Angel's Landing, we did not get a permit). We woke up at 6:30, and hiked over from the hotel. We were at the base at 7am, and hit Scout's at 8am. (2 miles, ~1150' of elevation). We saw literally no one on the trails until we were at the top and looking down. The shuttles didn't start until 7am at the base of the park. We were so early there were no rangers to check permits on the Landing. Could have climbed it, but we decided to just look around the West Rim trail instead. It was awesome. There's a nice pic of me looking all sweaty and Stella looking like "that was a nice walk." at the top. Always let them see you sweat, I say.

Zion was best when people were fewest. But most people I encountered were nice, and we chatted up several people, gave out some trail advice, etc.

The west is just amazing with all the canyons + mountains (we also did a day hike at Snow Canyon outside St. George, and went up to Snowbird and hike a trail in the snow outside SLC our first day). No issues with elevation, but we were mostly around 6000 feet before Zion, so not very high.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by GORDON »

The Angel's Landing permits started just this month, unless I'm mistaken. They're kinda needed, which kinda sucks. Even the mandatory shuttle busses only happened about ten years ago. They didn't exist when I first went in 1998.

The Virgin River isn't full of bacteria, it's silt. That entire canyon was carved by that river, and tons of solids leave the park every day. Some days it looks like chocolate milk.

Any time schools are still in, prolly best to go. What were the temps?

How'd you like Walter's Wiggles?
GORDON
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by GORDON »

Why waders up the Narrows? Have seen a thousand people in it, but none in waders.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:29 pm The Virgin River isn't full of bacteria, it's silt.
No, it's full of bacteria + algae according to the ranger I talked to. (And silt) Article about one kind
GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:29 pm What were the temps?
Temps were awesome, highs in the very low 70s, lows in the high 30s.
GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:29 pm How'd you like Walter's Wiggles?
Honestly, it was great, because I knew it was the last big up. :)
GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:30 pm Why waders up the Narrows? Have seen a thousand people in it, but none in waders.
Maybe cuz the water is 40 degrees right now? Maybe depends on depth, more water in Spring? dunno, didn't ask, but everyone doing it had waders.
GORDON
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by GORDON »

Buncha weirdos.

I think all 4/5 times I was there, it was July/August.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:55 pm Buncha weirdos.

I think all 4/5 times I was there, it was July/August.
Sounds hot.
GORDON
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by GORDON »

So hot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:16 pmSo hot.
C has relatives in Utah (they recommended Snow Canyon as a day hike), and they recommended coming back in Winter to see more water.
GORDON
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by GORDON »

Last time we were in the SW we never had a day under 105F.

Love it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:43 pm Last time we were in the SW we never had a day under 105F.

Love it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Take a hike

Post by GORDON »

Seriously, if it's dry, it's easy. We'll hike in AZ for a week in 100 and it's fine, but then 3 days in Orlando, 80s and humid, kicks our asses.