Scuba Diving

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

I forgot to comment that you punching the shark accidentally is hilarious. Good stuff.

I'm going back to Catalina with a buddy and our ladies in two weeks for a 4 day camping/spearing trip. It's warm enough that Yellowtail (hamachi in suishi) are running, so they are the target. Will settle for a safe weekend as long as we get plenty of water time and see some rad stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Punched a fucking shark on my birthday. NBD.

I really wish I liked the taste of fish. Y'all know I'm half farmer and I would LOVE to be able to go dive into a body of water with a weapon and come out with a delicious dinner.

Go to Florida sometime... it's always open season on the invasive Lion Fish and apparently they taste good. They organize contest dives, whoever murders the most of them wins, and they don't even necessarily eat them, they are going for full eradication... which they will never achieve.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Flying home after 4 days of camping and freediving on north Catalina Island. Many fish were slayed and then cooked in a variety of ways at the campfire. Ceviched Calico Bass was probably the best of the bunch.

I always walk a little taller and with a bit more swag for the weeks following trips like this. It's so primal, so awesome.

Seals, Sea Lions, Rays, Eels, Leopard Sharks all about. No GWS - maybe next time!
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Just dove the zoo.

Was giving kids high-5's against the glass... they love that... when the zebra shark comes right between me and the glass. It was just in the right spot... I gave it a fin-5 as it went by. When I looked back down through the glass, the kids were losing their shit over it.

:-D
Leisher
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by Leisher »

Hey Gordon, you know a sports related scuba activity that could make you a profit? Diving for golf balls at local courses.

Basically, you get permission to dive for balls in their water hazards. I don't know details of payments, but I've heard of various deals where the course pays for the balls and resells them; the diver gets to keep all the balls and resells them; the course and the diver split profits; etc.

If that's something that would interest you, I'd be happy to ask my golf partner about it as he's the head superintendent at Eagle's Landing.

One of my other friends knew a guy that did this and would sell bags of Titleists for $12/dozen. Those are $40 in stores. I remember him coming to golf with about 20 bags for all the people who ordered them.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

You don't think there's already peeps doing it?
Leisher
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by Leisher »

Of course there are, but probably not at all the courses. Plus, some may be unhappy with their scuba person or have no loyalty to them or whatever.

I'll tell you this: I might have seen a scuba person once, but I lean to never. Point being, there might be opportunities.

Just something to look into if you like scuba diving and want to do it while offsetting your costs.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Any sharks or.alligators at Toledo courses? I like a challenge.
Leisher
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by Leisher »

No, but perhaps you'll be hit by someone's tee shot.

I'll ask my golf partner about it all tomorrow. Maybe he'll know more details.

P.S. If this pans out and you make mad cash I want two dozen free Titleist Pro-V1s annually. :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Ha.

The kid and I were at the Toledo Country CLub the other day, sitting and looking at the golf course that is right next to the Maumee River. I suggested we should take a little drift dive down the riverbank and see how many golf balls we can find. He said that the visibility looks to be shit and we won't find fucking shit in that water.

He's probably right.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Dove in Lake Superior this morning, the same place we dove last Labor Day. It's overcast, windy, colder, and about 10 degrees colder in the water thn it was last year, which is crazy. 60' down on the wreck of the Selvick, my computer said it was 45 degrees. Christ, I think that's a personal record.... and I didn't wear a hood because last year it was warmer. My kid couldn't take it at all... half way down the rope it was 52, and he called it. I took him back up and then joined the other 3 divers that were down there.

Frikkin freezing.

Going back out tomorrow. :-D
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Vis wasn't great, there has been too much wind lately, but here's my King of the World son on the bow of the Bermuda.
bermuda_sm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Me, this morning, sitting on a toilet at the bottom of Lake Superior.

It never stops being funny.
hettler_sm.png
The weather was great today, and the water was warmer. Saturday was the shit day, Sunday was the good day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Another successful dive trip. Got in the water, and no one died.

That puts me and the kid at 25 open water dives... which is the minimum one needs to take the "Advance Open Water" training. He is still too young for that certification to mean anything... he could get it, but he still has an official floor of 40 feet because of his young age, and the good stuff of getting the advance OW cert is for the deep diving. So he'll just chill for now, until he's 15 and can legally go deep.

I, however, am going to skip AOW and start training for Rescue Diver, and by next Fall I should be able to get that certification. Then I can volunteer for the fire department and recover dead bodies in ponds, and stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

It's weird coming to.the zoo to dive on a Saturday morning, it's chilly and overcast, and not a soul is here. I may end up.feedi g the fishes and have no kids to play with.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Like, five kids total.

Oh well. Still fun chilling with the sharks.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Finish up this trial in the next few days. Taking off the next week to drive down to SoCal and do another dive trip like last year. A few stops along the way down to San Diego. Ending with another camping/spearing weekend trip to Catalina. Bringing my parents this time. Need to get in the water, so bad.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Maybe not stopping in Carmel/Pebble Beach, though. Or NorCal in general. It's GWS season in the red triangle.

“My second dive I went down about 20 or 30 feet,” Azatian said. “I saw the great white, maybe a 15-footer, swimming in my direction but not directly toward me. I lost track of it due to visibility, so I swam up toward the boat, angled so I could get a little closer. As I broke the surface, I was trying to warn my dad, yelled out to me, ‘Dad,’ and that’s when it got me, maybe 10 or 15 seconds, shook me around a bit then let go.”
Easy to armchair quarterback it but here it goes. A) Holy fuck that's a big shark and B) When you see a shark and are going towards the surface, your supposed to point your spear tip at it's last known position. They're known to hit at the surface, especially when you run. Glad he's going to recover.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Just put on a Santa suit before I jumped in the shark tank. Kids love that kind of thing.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

There I am.
24293911_10214889630178712_6704653816642554317_n.jpg