Scuba Diving

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Just as I get done with all the training, and am ready to go...
All,

We are reevaluating diver shark interactions in the Pacific Reef exhibit (2.1). All feed and clean dives in the Pacific Reef tank (2.1) are cancelled. I will send out an email when we resume dives in the Pacific Reef exhibit. You can still sign up for the clean dives in the Shark, Ray, Turtle tank (3.7). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Brad ****
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

BAH, tell them this was how you were planning to go out.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

I'm on the schedule again to jump in a tank full of sharks on the 21st.

Hopefully this doesn't cause another cancellation:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/animal/sh ... /440165364
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Also I just tried on the smaller replacement 7mm wetsuit, and it fits, so I am now officially a 2-wetsuit-haver. Amazing... 15 years ago today I was in a wheelchair. Woot.

Also pretty snug around the swole arms. This thick, cold-water suit doesn't have the flex that the thinner, warmer-water one does.
Leisher
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by Leisher »

Very cool.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

It is very cool. You are as observant as you are attractive.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Diving a local quarry this afternoon. Of course I forgot to charge the GoPro.

I should be diving in the shark tank on Sunday. Wondering if I can take in the GoPro...
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

The dive today was meh.

My thicker suit worked great.... 50 degree water, and I was comfortable.

But thicker wetsuits means greater buoyancy, which means more lead to hold you down, and me and the kid didn't have our weight dialed in properly, and he has less range of motion in the thicker wetsuit. He also has a problem with the hood and gloves.... we mostly dive warmer water. We just aren't used to this. So we kind of sucked today.

It was funny.... I gave him the extra 4 pounds of lead that I had in my vest pockets, so his weight would be correct. But that left me too light and I didn't feel like getting out and walking to the truck for more lead.

So I got a big rock off the bottom and carried it for the dive so I could submerge.

Instructor was there, he has the Wednesday "fun dives"... he said yeah, sometimes divers have to carry a big rock to keep the dive going, so I did good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

So I got home last night and unloaded the truck and my mask isn't here. Last place I know I had it was getting out of the water, taking it off my face and putting it on my head.... and with the hood, if it fell off right then, I wouldn't have felt it.

So went back this morning looking. These are just expensive enough that I didn't want to write it off without having one good look, first. Didn't find it.

But the point of this is that yeah, I am learning to love this thick wetsuit. I was out there snorkeling in 52 degree water quite comfortably.

Another dive group was setting up this morning and I left them my card, if they find the mask out a little deeper they will call me.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

I've only ever felt a 5mm, but I understand 7mm is the go-to for much of Northern California.

After about 2 hours of kayak-based hunting in SoCal winter, I usually start to get cold. My wife has a 7mm core, 5mm extremities suit. I usually get cold first.

Super jealous that you've gotten to go diving! This weekend was going to be my last shot before another road gig, but my wife tore her damn calf playing soccer. We had to scrap a quick trip down to San Diego I was planning this weekend.

Losing shit just seems to be part of the game. So far i've only donated a few knives to Poseidon.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

There are A ton of GWS sightings off the coast of SoCal right now.

Still trying to get a last minute trip down there this weekend for a dive.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

After an hour in cold water in the wetsuit, are you familiar with the scared turtle?

So last night after the dive when I realized I was missing my mask, I sent the instructor a Facebook message telling him if he found one, It was mine. He stayed behind for a second dive.

He sent me a thumbs up, he saw the message.

This morning I drive an hour round trip to go snorkeling for it. I figured that shit was just gone, man.

This afternoon I take rented gear back to the dive shop. My mask is there, he didn't bother letting me know he found it last night because he knew he would see me today.

He's still not great with the communication.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Weekend fallen through. The remote Catalina island spot I wanted to go to turned out to be too remote for a last minute trip, nowhere to stay, no campsites or anything else available.

Bummed. Had a decent shot of seeing one of those big ass sharks too.

Your dude does sound a little rough to deal with, but at least you got your gear back. Saved yourself some moolah.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

A hundred bones for a new mask is an extra dive I wouldn't be able to afford this summer. I was trying to look at it as an excuse to buy a new mask with an integrated gopro mount.... but I was still ticked at myself for being careless.

But now I have it and it's fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: After an hour in cold water in the wetsuit, are you familiar with the scared turtle?
Do you understand this question, Troy?
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote:
GORDON wrote: After an hour in cold water in the wetsuit, are you familiar with the scared turtle?
Do you understand this question, Troy?

?
I usually have more issues with my nipples damn near cutting my shirt after getting out at 50 degrees.

e: and I was gonna try my new go-pro mount mask this weekend for the first time :(
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Yes, you got it.

Last Fall in Lake superior all day, it was 60-65 degree water and I was in a 3mm suit. It was fine overall, I was cool but not uncomfortable.

I get off the boat and go to piss.... and holy fuck, shrinkage on an UNPRECEDENTED scale. I didn't even know that was possible.

The day before I thought I lost my mask I ordered

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2LLQM3/

That clips on to the side of the mask strap. Hoping it doesn't suck.
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Yes, you got it.

Last Fall in Lake superior all day, it was 60-65 degree water and I was in a 3mm suit. It was fine overall, I was cool but not uncomfortable.

I get off the boat and go to piss.... and holy fuck, shrinkage on an UNPRECEDENTED scale. I didn't even know that was possible.

The day before I thought I lost my mask I ordered

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2LLQM3/

That clips on to the side of the mask strap. Hoping it doesn't suck.
Interesting. I'd only be worried about the footage being shakier than the version where it's directly attached to the mask plastic, but I don't really know if that's true or not.

Your version is definitely cheaper. I got one with the built-in mount in NZ at a steal with their exchange rate, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

This thread is depressing me now. I had a solid hour today where I thought I was going to be diving this weekend with my buddies. BOOOOO
Troy

Scuba Diving

Post by Troy »

Today was really good conditions in San Diego. And because tomorrow is supposed to be nice too, I'm going down for the night.

Kayak trip out to the kelp beds planned for Sunday morning. Hopefully we don't see any of those giant tax men. Or if we do we have the GoPro ready.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

I will be swimming with gentlemen in gray tomorrow. :-D