NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Goodell is firing back at Jones.

Get your popcorn ready.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Giants are all in on Eli for some reason and are listening to offers for the #2 pick.

WTF? Eli is way washed up. This doesn't make a lot of sense. It also hurts Cleveland's trade value for #4 slightly.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Steelers are expected to tag Bell for the second year in a row as they've not reached an agreement on a new contract.

He has threatened to retire despite the tag guaranteeing him $14.5 million this year.

I don't begrudge him trying to get as much money as possible, but by making too much he hurts his team, limits their ability to win, hurts the fan base, hurts overall merchandise sales, hurts the local community, and his fellow players' ability to earn. That's pretty selfish.

I think if folks like Bell want to get paid, they need to petition the NFLPA to negotiate a higher salary cap next time.

Or, and I like this idea better, base salary on performance. Everyone gets a base minimum contract. Starters earn more base money. Star players earn even more base money. (Not to mention the percentage they get from jersey sales.) After that base salary, pay out bonuses based on what happens on the field.

Led the league in scoring? More money.
Led the team in TDs? More money.
Made the playoffs? More money.
Won the Super Bowl? More money.
Hit ____ # of tackles? More money.
Hit your goal for # of interceptions and passes defended? More money.

And so on...
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I don't begrudge him trying to get as much money as possible, but by making too much he hurts his team, limits their ability to win, hurts the fan base, hurts overall merchandise sales, hurts the local community, and his fellow players' ability to earn. That's pretty selfish.
I mostly agree. I mean.. do you want $ or want to win?

The challenge with pay for performance is what happens if someone's injured?
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I mostly agree. I mean.. do you want $ or want to win?
They should want both. I don't want to limit their ability to earn. I want to make it a fairer system for those who deserve it.
TheCatt wrote: The challenge with pay for performance is what happens if someone's injured?
That's where the base salary comes into play.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
They should want both. I don't want to limit their ability to earn. I want to make it a fairer system for those who deserve it.
TheCatt wrote: The challenge with pay for performance is what happens if someone's injured?
So I could be looking at $20M guaranteed, or I get injured in the pre-season and collect $1M? Fuck that.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
So I could be looking at $20M guaranteed, or I get injured in the pre-season and collect $1M? Fuck that.
Go work at McDonald's then!

I'm only part kidding. Nobody owes these players shit. They already got a free education and now are becoming millionaires playing a game.

Nobody is looking at $20 million/season guaranteed. This isn't MLB.

Also, base pay would be more than $1M. Perhaps it also increases both with time in the league and time on a certain team?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Kirk Cousins is one of the highest-paid NFL players. He earned $23,943,600 in 2017 — a contract that was 100% guaranteed due to a franchise tag
Drew Brees is consistently one of the best-performing quarterbacks in the league and his contract reflects that.

He signed a one-year contract extension with the Saints in late 2016, which netted him a 100%-guaranteed salary of $24.25 million,
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

There are 1,694 other players...
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: There are 1,694 other players...
You said nobody :)
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

He's still more hopeful this time around that a deal will be reached, but he senses in negotiations that the team is viewing him strictly through the prism of the running back market, in which Atlanta's Devonta Freeman is the game's highest paid at $8.25 million per year.

Bell said the constraints of the running back market aren't his doing and don't encapsulate his worth.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Bell is already getting $6M more a year than Freeman who hasn't lost several years to injury, been suspended for pot, or distracted his team in the playoffs.

Deion Sanders is racist on live TV and nobody bats an eye.

Ok, I'm poking fun as it clearly isn't malicious, but c'mon, that's racist. What if it was a spelling bee and some white announcer was stunned if a black kid spelled something correctly...
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Redskins will give Super Bowl rings to the scabs - FINALLY.
That group went 3-0 during the strike, capping off their stint with a 13-7 Monday night win over the Dallas Cowboys, who were playing with regulars including running back Tony Dorsett and defensive lineman Randy White. Washington finished 11-4 that season en route to a 42-10 victory over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXII.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Good karma for them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Goodell is firing back at Jones.

Get your popcorn ready.
Jones pays, puts matter to bed.

I mean, $2M to him is like a hundred to a normal person.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

I was surprised by then, but I figure it's to appease the other owners he holds sway over. I don't doubt for a second that he will enact some vengeance against Goodell when the opportunity appears.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I was surprised by then, but I figure it's to appease the other owners he holds sway over. I don't doubt for a second that he will enact some vengeance against Goodell when the opportunity appears.
Oh sure. I doubt he forgets. On the other hand, he probably also wants to avoid controversy to avoid damaging the league, and more specifically, the $$$ he gets.