NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, Nike's been a bit controversial beforehand. I doubt much bad will happen to them from this... you know, until Trump starts tweeting about it (eyeroll)
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Yeah, Nike's been a bit controversial beforehand. I doubt much bad will happen to them from this... you know, until Trump starts tweeting about it (eyeroll)
Guess who weighed in...

The first statement the article references is shitty.

When they continue his comment three paragraphs later, it's MUCH better and he actually sounds reasonable.

BTW, I am enjoying all the shout outs to Pat Tillman all over social media using the same phrase Nike is sticking on Kaep's picture. It's not even debatable which one is the better role model and example of that phrase.

Opinion: Nike wants attention and profits, not "justice". IE: They're just using Kaep.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Nike, as a business, by definition, wants attention and profit. The notion they are just "using Kaep," though is a patently shallow and intellectually stunted argument.

I want money, my job gives me money. Am I just using them? I want sex, my wife gives me sex, am I just using her?

*edit* I read the article, and it's even worse.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:The notion they are just "using Kaep," though is a patently shallow and intellectually stunted argument.
I disagree. If it's proven that Nike is doing a lot of work in the name of Kaep's cause, then you may have a point. However, this is a company that still uses sweatshops (pointed out by a pro-Kaep friend of mine), thus justice and freedom probably aren't high on their priorities.
TheCatt wrote: I want money, my job gives me money. Am I just using them?
Yes, and vice versa. This isn't even disputable. You're telling me if they could replace you with someone at 25% of your price with the same skills that they wouldn't even consider it? You're telling me that if I came along and offered you twice the salary with better hours and benefits you wouldn't consider it?

I work at a company with an ESOP, so I'm far more vested than your average worker. However, if the right offer came along, I'd take it. Granted, it'd have to be a special offer, but still...
TheCatt wrote: I want sex, my wife gives me sex, am I just using her?
I'll just give you this one as a win. I could make an argument that spouses do use one another, but in a win-win scenario (one hopes). However, it really would all boil down to each relationship, so I don't have enough info.
TheCatt wrote: *edit* I read the article, and it's even worse.
I didn't. I'm just not interested enough in Nike or Kaep. I'm not black or a teenager so I'm no longer Nike's target demo, and I've thought Kaep's protests were ill conceived since day 1.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: but in a win-win scenario
All of these scenarios are win-win, mutually beneficial scenarios. That's what a free market is (mostly). No one's being used, they are all advancing their own desires.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
All of these scenarios are win-win, mutually beneficial scenarios. That's what a free market is (mostly). No one's being used, they are all advancing their own desires.
When I eat my oatmeal in the morning I grab a plastic spoon. It serves its role and then I throw it away when I'm done with it and never think about it again. It's win-win until it's not.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
When I eat my oatmeal in the morning I grab a plastic spoon. It serves its role and then I throw it away when I'm done with it and never think about it again. It's win-win until it's not.
Plastic spoon lacks consciousness and cannot enter into the arrangement willingly. You are using it, you dirty, dirty man. And probably killing turtles, too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

The real question is... how are 3 of the worst 4 teams in football in the same division? How can they be so incompetent with so many good draft picks, since the Patriots basically win the division every single year?
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Plastic spoon lacks consciousness and cannot enter into the arrangement willingly.
True, but you get my point.
TheCatt wrote: And probably killing turtles, too.
A turtle killed my grandmother. Fuck 'em.
TheCatt wrote: The real question is... how are 3 of the worst 4 teams in football in the same division? How can they be so incompetent with so many good draft picks, since the Patriots basically win the division every single year?
The most underrated question over the entirety of the Patriots current run.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: True, but you get my point.
That using a spoon is very different from consenting adults entering into arrangements? Yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
That using a spoon is very different from consenting adults entering into arrangements? Yes.
Nice job ducking every other point I made. Stick with your plastic spoon Malcolm. :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Nice job ducking every other point I made. Stick with your plastic spoon Malcolm. :D
Hard to duck things that don't exist.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I disagree. If it's proven that Nike is doing a lot of work in the name of Kaep's cause, then you may have a point. However, this is a company that still uses sweatshops (pointed out by a pro-Kaep friend of mine), thus justice and freedom probably aren't high on their priorities.
1) Those people have decided that it was a better lifestyle than they had, unless their prisoners, of which I am unaware. 2) Got it, nothing matters unless you fix every ill in society.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Hard to duck things that don't exist.
You truly are in Malcolm territory.
TheCatt wrote: 1) Those people have decided that it was a better lifestyle than they had, unless their prisoners, of which I am unaware.
It's why they installed suicide nets in those factories. "Better lifestyle"
TheCatt wrote: 2) Got it, nothing matters unless you fix every ill in society.
Not at all, but I'm not going to pretend Nike's intentions here are altruistic. I'm certainly not going to avoid pointing out obvious hypocrisy.

I don't even think Kaep started this protest being altruistic. I think he was acting on behalf of his girlfriend.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: but I'm not going to pretend Nike's intentions here are altruistic
Is anyone? You're fighting windmills.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: but I'm not going to pretend Nike's intentions here are altruistic
You're worse than Trump.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
You're worse than Trump.
I won.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
You're worse than Trump.
I won.
I laughed.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

I was thinking about this, and I truly believe there's a chance "Trump" becomes a new insult like "Einstein" meaning the same, but obviously being more straight forward.