NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

I’m not sure if a city has ever had two head coaches fired on the same day, but it sure feels like a “hold my beer” moment to me.

Goodbye Hue and Lue!
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

It really looks like Hue and Todd Haley can’t coexist. Hue is throwing him under the bus because he wants to call the plays. I’m not seeing any progress being made by the offense so Todd’s not doing his job either. Another game with 4 turnovers by the defense is wasted.

I think Hue gets rid of Todd first so he can call the plays. When that fails for the next two weeks and then Hue gets fired.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Mildly amazing stat of the day.

Redskins have won 5 games: They have never trailed in those 5 games, at all.

Redskins have lost 2 games: They have never had a lead in those 2 games, at all.

0 lead changes in 7 games.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Goodbye Hue and Lue!
The greatest player on Earth left and now we're stuck with all his shitty demands for teammates. Must be the coach's fault the team isn't built to win!

We hired a fucking baseball guy to pick our players and have purposely put together the worst team possible for at least 1 of Hue's 3 years. Must be his fault we suck!

:D

Watching this Saints-Vikings game was brutal. I needed 19 from Cousins. He got 10 in the first half. Then he got 4 in the 3rd. The Saints then started an 8 minute drive. Cousins got the ball back and got 3 more points driving. Finally on 4th and goal from the 1 he threw a TD pass for my win.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Cousins is not the Vikings' answer. I mean, he's average, maybe a little above average. When DC gave him solid weapons + a solid line, he was good. But he's not Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or even Mahomes.
Cousins is astonishingly meh. He's Olive Garden.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Say what you want, but he won my game for me last night. He also wasn't the reason the Vikings lost to the Saints. That's on Thielen for the fumble, Diggs for cutting his route back causing the pick 6, and the defense for giving up all the points.

In Browns news: ESPN has a story up that Miles Garrett was bitching about Greg Williams' defensive play calling after the game.

I also see it reported that Cleveland had high hopes for this season. What exactly did they think was going to happen? A Super Bowl win? A playoff birth? They're 2-5-1 and have gone to overtime 4 times. Seems like they're right where a team who just went 0-16 should be, and possibly better. They're improving and competitive (outside of this week and next week). You don't go from 0-16 to Super Bowl contender overnight.

Also, Mayfield is serviceable, but he's not setting the league on fire like some of the other rookie QBs over the past few years.

This is all why firing Hue during the season makes zero sense. I'd privately tell him that you want to see improvement on the field and that's what will be evaluated in the off season regarding his future with the team. Improvement doesn't have to equal wins. I mean, what does an interim coach give you? A playoff push? Ha! A couple more wins to knock you farther from the top of the draft order? More fodder for the media to call you dysfunctional?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Diggs for cutting his route back causing the pick 6
That one is addressed specifically in the article.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Diggs for cutting his route back causing the pick 6
That one is addressed specifically in the article.
It's fair that it probably shouldn't have been thrown, but if he takes a sack he gets blamed for that too. It's lose-lose for Cousins.

P.S. Ben throws a lot of picks because he takes chances, and he has twice as many SB rings as Rogers. :D

I do know the announcers, specifically Collinsworth a former WR, blamed Diggs during the game. SBNation has an article up blaming Thielen and Diggs as well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: but if he takes a sack he gets blamed for that too. It's lose-lose for Cousins.
Nah, he's usually around .500.... mediocrity is his thing.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

If $28M a year is mediocre, I'd love to be mediocre.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

I'm hearing Hue has been fired.

Bad move Browns. You gave him zero chance to succeed and blamed him for everything.

Ultimately I think he needed to go, but not now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Wow. Well, that will surely right the ship.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Confirmed.

Yep, everything is now fixed in Cleveland. No word on the replacement that will obviously get them into the Super Bowl this season.
The past five Browns⁠' head coaches -- Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski and Mike Pettine -- were all fired after the second Steelers game of that season.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

I've heard two names for the Cleveland job so far: Mike Munchak and Lincoln Riley.

Munchak is the rumored hire. Riley is speculation because of Mayfield.

Where the LeVeon saga stands.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

I hear Pitino's trying to go pro. You hired a baseball analytics guy, why not a basketball coach to mix things up?
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

This is great news!! Its not about saving this season, its already lost. Its about saving your young impressionable QB and not having this clown ruin him.

Sure, a lot of it was not Hue's fault, but he shouldn't have been back here in the first place.

3-36-1.. That says everything.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I hear Pitino's trying to go pro. You hired a baseball analytics guy, why not a basketball coach to mix things up?
This. All day this.
Stranger wrote: Its about saving your young impressionable QB and not having this clown ruin him.
Who's going to save him from Haley?
Stranger wrote: Sure, a lot of it was not Hue's fault
Fair.
Stranger wrote: 3-36-1.. That says everything.
Also fair.
Stranger wrote: but he shouldn't have been back here in the first place.
I'm iffy on this one. I think he got the shaft those first two years, and now is being scapegoated as if he had anything to do with the clowns in the office. He should have gotten a full year with a decent roster.

Hue should get a chance to be an O coordinator again somewhere. He did good work in Cincy.
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: I'm iffy on this one. I think he got the shaft those first two years, and now is being scapegoated as if he had anything to do with the clowns in the office. He should have gotten a full year with a decent roster.
Here's the problem i had with Hue coming back. We had a new GM and the #1 overall QB but you're going to arrange a shotgun marriage with a 1-31 coach??? He was a deadman walking from day 1, how could the team buy into that guy? everyone knew he'd be gone.

Just now on the radio i heard that Haley got shitcanned too! lol
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Here's the problem i had with Hue coming back. We had a new GM and the #1 overall QB but you're going to arrange a shotgun marriage with a 1-31 coach??? He was a deadman walking from day 1, how could the team buy into that guy? everyone knew he'd be gone.
That's a fair point, and he should have been fired prior to the season. Doing it now makes Cleveland look stupid.
Stranger wrote: Just now on the radio i heard that Haley got shitcanned too!
This makes total sense though, and makes me accept the Hue move a little more. I couldn't understand keeping Haley over Hue. Haley is toxic. You shouldn't want him around young players.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Hearing lots of Lincoln Riley talk. Also, Matt Campbell from Iowa State and the aforementioned Mike Munchak rumor.