NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Malcolm

NFL

Post by Malcolm »

Rise and fall, turn the wheel, 'cause all life is is really just a circle.
It looks like the Denver Broncos and Brock Osweiler are going to let bygones be bygones.

According to Cleveland.com, Osweiler is set to sign with the Broncos in a deal that will take him back to the city that he once spurned. The news of Osweiler's imminent signing in Denver came just hours after Mike Klis of 9news.com reported that the Broncos were planning to "zero in" on Osweiler once he officially became a free agent.

The beleaguered quarterback was informed by the Browns on Friday that the team would be releasing him.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Osweiler, who spent his first four years in the league with the Broncos, was released by the Cleveland Browns earlier this week. The Broncos will pay Osweiler the veterans' minimum of $775,000.

"I think with the opportunity we had to get Brock back, we're excited about that opportunity to have that experience there with Brock,'' said Broncos president of football operations/general manager John Elway. "Plus with Paxton, you never know with the throwing shoulder.''

The Browns, who owed Osweiler $16 million after his release, will now pay him $15.225 million. Osweiler's deal with the Broncos is pending a physical on Monday.
From $16+M/year to the minimum. I guess at least his old salary is still guaranteed this year, but damn.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

NFL

Post by Malcolm »

Osweiler's new deal in Denver means that the Broncos will pay him $775,000 of that $16 million and the Browns will pay the rest, which comes out to roughly $15,225,000.

Hey, at least the Browns got a second-round pick out for that money.
I hope that's a $15.25M draft pick. Also, it's not the like Browns have a history of blowing those draft picks or anything.
We, the Cleveland Browns, are proud to announce our second round draft pick of 2018 who is totally worth fifteen and a quarter million dollars...

Aside from twisting in the wind since Brock left, Elway's made some strikingly good QB decisions. Even Trevor the Simian looked serviceable for a second or two.

Meanwhile, back at the home for the hobbled:
The Minnesota Vikings kept quarterback Teddy Bridgewater on the physically unable to perform list to start the season
Saturday's move is a positive sign for Bridgewater and the Vikings, a decision that backs the team's belief that he could return to the field later this season.

Bridgewater will be eligible to come off the PUP after the first six games. Bridgewater would then have five weeks to return to practice. Minnesota would then have three weeks to activate him to the 53-man roster.

The quarterback is entering the final year of his rookie contract.
If he can't come back this year, I think it's over for him. Which sucks because it means we're back to square one for finding a QB worth a damn while simultaneously pretending our current mediocre duct tape solution isn't a joke. You must know that feeling, Catt.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote: I hope that's a $15.25M draft pick. Also, it's not the like Browns have a history of blowing those draft picks or anything.
The Browns basically knew they were not going to hit the minimum league salary, so they took this hit as buying a draft choice, $ they were going to get hit in penalties anyway. So they knew what they were getting into.
Malcolm wrote: Which sucks because it means we're back to square one for finding a QB worth a damn while simultaneously pretending our current mediocre duct tape solution isn't a joke. You must know that feeling, Catt.
Sigh.
Malcolm

NFL

Post by Malcolm »

The Browns basically knew they were not going to hit the minimum league salary, so they took this hit as buying a draft choice, $ they were going to get hit in penalties anyway. So they knew what they were getting into.
Are they so idiotic that they can't even spend the league minimum to compensate their players for their horrible efforts?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:
Are they so idiotic that they can't even spend the league minimum to compensate their players for their horrible efforts?
I think it's called rebuilding.

Would you pay those players more?
Malcolm

NFL

Post by Malcolm »

If the cash is getting pissed away anyhow, I'd find something better to do with it. At least a better shot than Brock.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote: If the cash is getting pissed away anyhow, I'd find something better to do with it. At least a better shot than Brock.
Brock was always disposable, they paid $16M for a draft pick
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Ward to Bucs/Wilcox to Steelers.

Steelers also sent Coates to Cleveland. I haven't seen them this active in a long time. Win now mentality.

Unions tell the Browns to go fuck themselves.

Good for them. If the players can express themselves, why can't everyone else?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

NFL

Post by Malcolm »

Non-catt league has boosted keepers to two. Realistic choices with a $250 draft:

QB - Rodgers - $32: #1 QB in points last year in the league ... would totally go for $50 or more if left on the block
WR - Davante Adams - $3: top-10 WR for under $5
QB - Luck - $11: Ugh. Don't like his team, don't like his RBs, don't like most of his WRs, don't like his recent injury troubles.
RB - DeMacro Murray - $39: Would, but Rodgers is there for cheaper and producing more at a more valuable position.

If I go Rodgers, that means I get him plus Reed for $35 total, and I can focus almost exclusively on WRs and RBs while everyone else pisses away money bidding on TEs and QBs. Means I can toss more cash at the big name rookies, too. Think I just talked myself into Rodgers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

I would take Rodgers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Btw, Stranger - Congrats on the perfect pre-season! :)
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

We had our draft last night. I'm the defending, and only three time champ!

We're a 12 team league.

Anyway, here's what I wound up with:
Projected starters -
QB Drew Brees
RB DeMarco Murray
RB Marshawn Lynch
WR Keenan Allen
WR Jamison Crowder
WR DeShawn Jackson
K Chris Boswell
D KC Chiefs
Bench -
QB Carson Palmer
RB James Conner
RB Tevin Coleman
WR Rishard Matthews
WR Willie Snead (Suspended the first three games)
TE Vance McDonald
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

More predictions
Redskins at 7.4 Wins, #1 SoS.

Patriots are currently favored to win each individual game they are in.
Troy

NFL

Post by Troy »

12 team league. Reached for two Panthers, but just the two that have looked dominant in preseason.

Ben Roethlisberger, Pit QB
Jay Ajayi, Mia RB
Christian McCaffrey, Car RB
Kelvin Benjamin, Car WR
Sammy Watkins, LAR WR
Martellus Bennett, GB TE
Dalvin Cook, Min RB
Vikings D/ST D/ST
Caleb Sturgis, Phi K

Bench
Jarvis Landry, Mia WR
Donte Moncrief, Ind WR  Q
Mike Wallace, Bal WR
Matt Breida, SF RB
Latavius Murray, Min RB
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

I'm in a keeper league. My team is terrible, but somehow keeps doing well, as everyone seems to have their worst week against me. I have a feeling this year is comeuppance year. I literally have no RB1s on the team. Only 10 teams in the league.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Cam doesn't understand what "unfair" means.

The man opted out of his contract or he'd be playing.
Malcolm

NFL

Post by Malcolm »

Our draft has been pushed back due to the motherfucking retards who can't seem to set their keepers until after the deadline is 59 minutes and 30 seconds past. I swear to fucking god, how the fuck hard is it to check a couple fucking HTML widgets before a certain date? And the little cunt was getting ready to throw a hissy-fit because he forgot to keep David Johnson and Matt Ryan for $5. My sympathy was so low as to be considered negative.
Malcolm

NFL

Post by Malcolm »

Fuck. Draft took for-fucking-ever.

QB - Rodgers and Rivers
RB - Zeke, Ty Montgomery, CJ Anderson + Jamaal Charles, Joe Mixon
WR - Amari Cooper, Kelvin, Adam Thielen, Brandon Marshall
TE - Reed and Witten
K - new dude from Carolina
D - Bengals

Zeke's in for Week 1, but sounds like he'd gone for six weeks after. Maybe right around time to boost me in postseason if I'm in contention. Left me a bit weak at RB, but figured I'd take the chance.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Ravens were set to sign Kaep,
but...

She is the most under reported thing about this Kaep saga. I've heard she's the reason he has had such a political change in his mindset. I guess she's a mega crazy political activist. She's pulling his strings, and it's costing him millions and his career.

Funny how everyone is screaming about Kaep's not employed because of racism, yet her racism has cost him at least one job, AND AGAIN, he'd be employed right now if he didn't opt out of SF.