MLB

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Cards' player is member of Cherokee Nation, and offended by the Braves' Tomahawk Chop. Braves say they will tune it down for Game 5 (tonight).
"Out of respect for the concerns expressed by Mr. Helsley, we will take several efforts to reduce the Tomahawk Chop during our in-ballpark presentation today," the Braves said in a statement.

The Braves also announced they will not play the accompanying music to the chant or use any "Chop-related graphics" on their scoreboard when Helsley is in the game.

"As stated earlier, we will continue to evaluate how we activate elements of our brand, as well as the overall in-game experience," the team's statement said. "We look forward to a continued dialogue with those in the Native American community after the postseason continues."

The Braves did play the accompanying music to the chant multiple times Wednesday with Helsley not in the game, including the first inning and again after Josh Donaldson's home run cut Atlanta's deficit to 13-1 in the fourth.
We'll respect your culture, but only when you're playing?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Bye bye Yankees
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

I hate baseball, but I was pleased to see the Yankees lose. Also, this ends their streak of winning a World Series every decade.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I hate baseball, but I was pleased to see the Yankees lose. Also, this ends their streak of winning a World Series every decade.
Like a double win!
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Longtime umpire makes dumb tweet
Major League Baseball is looking into a since-deleted tweet by longtime umpire Rob Drake, commissioner Rob Manfred said Wednesday.

Drake tweeted late Tuesday that he planned to buy an AR-15 rifle "because if you impeach MY PRESIDENT this way, YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER CIVAL WAR!!! #MAGA2020", according to a copy of the tweet obtained by ESPN.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Longtime umpire makes dumb tweet
Major League Baseball is looking into a since-deleted tweet by longtime umpire Rob Drake, commissioner Rob Manfred said Wednesday.

Drake tweeted late Tuesday that he planned to buy an AR-15 rifle "because if you impeach MY PRESIDENT this way, YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER CIVAL WAR!!! #MAGA2020", according to a copy of the tweet obtained by ESPN.
That's a lot of stupid.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Something interesting happens at a baseball game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zruqJFppTw
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Something interesting happens at a baseball game...
There's a first time for everything.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGALW6KI5Ws

I don't watch baseball, but based on Torre's reading of the rule, and the video, it looks like a bad call to me.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Well, 'good' news for him last night.

Also, the away team won every single game in a 7 game series... how crazy is that?

Also, look at all the success Washington area sports teams have been having! The Redskins even won a game this year.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I don't watch baseball, but based on Torre's reading of the rule, and the video, it looks like a bad call to me.
Agreed. The guy was running straight down the base path. What the fuck else is he supposed to do? Stop and wait for the defense to tag him out? At what point does the defense get blamed for an errant throw?
TheCatt wrote: Also, the away team won every single game in a 7 game series... how crazy is that?
That is pretty nuts. I guess that's two interesting things that happened. Wait three! 6 if you count each boob as 1 thing!
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: What the fuck else is he supposed to do? Stop and wait for the defense to tag him out? At what point does the defense get blamed for an errant throw?
Also, it looked pretty clear to me his foot was hitting before the ball hit him.
Leisher wrote: Wait three! 6 if you count each boob as 1 thing!
Boobs 4 Baseball 2
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Boobs 4 Baseball 2
IMHO, this is the correct way to look at it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

It'll be interesting to see if there's any actual punishment.
Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

MLB

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who guided Boston to the World Series title in his debut 2018 season, could also be facing discipline as part of MLB's investigation of the 2017 Houston Astros for alleged sign stealing.

Cora was the Astros' bench coach in 2017. The Red Sox have declined to comment to The Athletic on Tuesday's report.
Someone should get banned?
TheCatt
Site Admin

MLB

Post by TheCatt »

1 year ban + fired for Astros and draft picks.
Houston Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch were fired by owner Jim Crane on Monday after Major League Baseball's announcement of discipline in the sign-stealing scandal.

A league investigation confirmed the Astros had cheated by using a camera-based sign-stealing system during the regular season and playoffs of their World Series-winning 2017 season.

Luhnow and Hinch were suspended for the 2020 season, but Crane said the team wanted to go beyond that ruling.

"We need to move forward with a clean slate," he said.

As part of the league's penalty, the Astros will also lose first- and second-round draft picks in 2020 and 2021, and the organization was fined a record $5 million. MLB said in its statement that if Luhnow or Hinch "engage in any future material violations" of MLB rules, they will be placed on the league's permanently ineligible list.
Wait, wut?
The league discipline is among the harshest ever delivered by a commissioner, with Luhnow and Hinch banned until the day after the final game of the 2020 World Series despite neither having involvement with the scheme
While the scheme to steal signs and relay them to batters by banging on a garbage can was "player-driven," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred wrote in a nine-page summary of the investigation, no players were disciplined
WTF?