Soccer

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Does ESPN cover MLS? Serious question.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Does ESPN cover MLS? Serious question.
They normally get the Sunday games. Snow game was on ESPN2.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

US men's team playing tonight in San Jose against Honduras @10:30 est. If we drop this game we are in real danger of not going to the next World Cup after dropping the first two qualifying games.

New coach, mostly the same players. Hope for the best.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

I completely missed that they hired a new coach. I remember Klinsman (sp?) getting the boot.

New guy any good?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: I completely missed that they hired a new coach. I remember Klinsman (sp?) getting the boot.

New guy any good?
It's Bruce Arena - so a rehash. He's been there before, 2 managers ago. Kind of like how an NFL team hires a old vet backup QB because his floor is known, compared to the unknown floor of a new rookie QB. I think it's a full panic mode type hire at possibly missing World Cup 2018.

He's been coaching the LA Galaxy - which has been a pretty successful MLS club, so there's that.

His previous record, per wikipedia is :
United States August 1, 1998 to July 14, 2006 Games-130 Wins-75 Losses-28 Ties-27 — 57.69%
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

I figure the U.S. will be playing catch up for a while. The talent is beginning to grow more here in the states as the sport grows, but now we need coaching to grow.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: I figure the U.S. will be playing catch up for a while. The talent is beginning to grow more here in the states as the sport grows, but now we need coaching to grow.
Everyone should legitimately be excited about the wonderkid that wasn't all hype. Christian Pulisic is the real deal. He's scoring goals in the Champions league, regularly starting for one of the world's top clubs at a position that requires a very high level of skill - not just strength and grit (which Americans are more traditionally known for). Deadspin's been saying it for some months now, he's not one "for the future", his time is now.

I expect his 18-year-old mercurial self to be starting tonight at right wing.

And definitely, our coaching talent still kind of sucks. The first in a while (maybe ever?) US manager of an English Premier League team only made it a few months before getting fired this year. Embarrassing.
Last edited by Troy on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

I just googled "next big thing" and us soccer, and it's a laundry list of people who never were.

I can't even remember the name of that kid from Ghana? who was supposed to be our next big thing like 10-15 years ago.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: I just googled "next big thing" and us soccer, and it's a laundry list of people who never were.

I can't even remember the name of that kid from Ghana? who was supposed to be our next big thing like 10-15 years ago.
Freddy Adu
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I just googled "next big thing" and us soccer, and it's a laundry list of people who never were.

Freddy Adu
Yeah fuck Freddy Adu, he was already like 30 when they hyped him as a wonderkid.

I tried to treat Pulisic like he was a future Freddy Adu. But look at him in this Champion League match earlier this month This is a tournament of the best teams in Europe. He's #22, racks up like 2 assists (should have been more) and a goal. He looks to be on another level.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Pulisic makes the run. Lleget finishes it off. 1-0 US.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Amazing assist for Pulisic. Obviously this is going well. 3-0 US. Keep in mind we started from the bottom....

Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Pulisic scores 15 seconds into 2nd half. Was worried he wasn't going to score. 4-0.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Another assist for Pulisic. 5-0. Im just going to drink this whole bottle. What else am I gonna do alone in a hotel room in philly?

e: I'll try to take my drunk posting to reddit but you never know what might happen. Watch out Trump thread.

e2: 6-0, everybody drinks and I'm fucking all your moms
Malcolm

Soccer

Post by Malcolm »

I'm drinking.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Watch out Trump thread.
I should have read this first.

Awesome victory.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
Troy wrote: Watch out Trump thread.
I should have read this first.

Awesome victory.
USA USA USA!!!
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Pulisic all touches vs. Honduras. He's incredible - we've never had someone like this. About fucking time, US Soccer.

Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

1-1 game last night. Since it was in Panama the rights got sold to whatever stupid network they want, so it went to Bein and no-one got to watch thanks to the corruption and third world BS. Dumb as hell. Heard we didn't play that well, but I saw this Pulisic highlight assist to Dempsey and was awed.

He's goddamn 18 years old.

Also on my twitter feed:

Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Pretty cool.

Does the tie hurt us in the World Cup chase?