Soccer

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Winning the Gold Cup has to be a big step towards the World Cup...?
Oh, let's just say Yes.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Soccer

Post by Malcolm »

Not as much as you'd hope
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote: Not as much as you'd hope
Shhh, I was trying to let Leisher have a moment of belief.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Well shit.

What the hell do we have to do to get to the World Cup?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Soccer

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: Well shit.

Annex south America.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Well shit.

Like Malcolm said, get a better supply of soccer players.

We have 4 of 10 qualifying games left, and we're in the last automatic spot. Beating Costa Rica (9/1) would be a tremendous boost. Beating Hondura (9/5) is almost essential, Beating Panama (10/6) would almost certainly lock us in if we did well in the first two games. 10/10 - Trinidad + Tobago - Must win, if Panama is close to us.

http://www.espnfc.us/world-cup-qualifyi ... f/64/table
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Gold cup was just a feather in the hat. B team players (C team until the elmination rounds) and it's entirely based in the USA. It was a great win, and momentum building, but it doesn't do anything for the world cup.

We still have important games to win against good opponents with our A team and their A teams.
Malcolm

Soccer

Post by Malcolm »

We simply aren't going to be able to compete with the South American and European countries where that sport is a religion. It's like asking us to win rugby or field hockey. Kids in the US don't stay out until dusk playing soccer every night.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Malcolm wrote: We simply aren't going to be able to compete with the South American and European countries where that sport is a religion. It's like asking us to win rugby or field hockey. Kids in the US don't stay out until dusk playing soccer every night.
Some do! I used to do this as an adult in Atlanta in piedmont park 3-4x times a week after work. Daylight savings always killed the game.
Malcolm

Soccer

Post by Malcolm »

Troy wrote:
Malcolm wrote: We simply aren't going to be able to compete with the South American and European countries where that sport is a religion. It's like asking us to win rugby or field hockey. Kids in the US don't stay out until dusk playing soccer every night.
Some do! I used to do this as an adult in Atlanta in piedmont park 3-4x times a week after work. Daylight savings always killed the game.
Yeah, some. Not "nearly everyone" like in the countries that are regular competitors. I'm sure some people go out curling at the ice rink every night. I'm not holding my breath for an Olympic gold.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote: Yeah, some. Not "nearly everyone" like in the countries that are regular competitors. I'm sure some people go out curling at the ice rink every night. I'm not holding my breath for an Olympic gold.
Malcolm's right of course.

(Pause for effect...)

Don't you all remember playing outside until dusk every night playing football, baseball, soccer, boxing, hockey, and every other fucking sport all at the same time and that's why we dominate, dominated, and/or have won world titles and/or gold in them all?

Men's soccer eludes us, yes, but we're improving. Explain women's soccer though, and you can't say because women are oppressed elsewhere for two reasons: 1. It isn't true. 2. Even where it is that conflicts with the feminist movement here, thus you can't talk about that. Show me the U.S. girls that played from morning to night every day.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Soccer

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: Don't you all remember playing outside until dusk every night playing football, baseball, soccer, boxing, hockey, and every other fucking sport all at the same time and that's why we dominate, dominated, and/or have won world titles and/or gold in them all?
Baseball, soccer, volleyball, kickball, fuzzball, yeah, I do.

Let's go down your list in one fell swoop...
football, baseball, soccer, boxing, hockey
The leagues pay the most for those guys in this country. Except soccer. If you want to cash in on your soccer talents, Europe is the place to go.

Football: it's called "American football" for a reason, although I bet we could go kick some ass up in Canadia.
Baseball: The US only won the World Baseball title this past year for the first time. We don't dominate. We compete with places like Japan and the Dominican Republic.
Volleyball: We don't dominate indoor in the Olympics. Beach volleyball is another story.
Boxing: The past two decades has not seen us dominate boxing at the Olympics. With the exception of one weight class in women's boxing, we haven't gotten gold since '04.
Hockey: Come on. Are you shitting me? We haven't won gold since the miracle in '80.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote: we dominate, dominated, and/or have won world titles and/or gold in them all?
Reading comprehension still isn't your thing is it? That sentence does not mean "we dominate".
Malcolm wrote: Football: it's called "American football" for a reason, although I bet we could go kick some ass up in Canadia.
Several European countries have teams, and not NFL Europe teams.
Malcolm wrote: Baseball: The US only won the World Baseball title this past year for the first time. We don't dominate. We compete with places like Japan and the Dominican Republic.
I must have been dreaming those Olympic golds we've won and those Little League World Series wins.
Malcolm wrote: Volleyball: We don't dominate indoor in the Olympics. Beach volleyball is another story.
Shame all those other countries don't have beaches.
Malcolm wrote: Boxing: The past two decades has not seen us dominate boxing at the Olympics. With the exception of one weight class in women's boxing, we haven't gotten gold since '04.
Again, reading comprehension is kind of an important skill. Boxing is a dying sport, particularly here. MMA is where all the best fighters have gone. We do pretty well there.
Malcolm wrote: Hockey: Come on. Are you shitting me? We haven't won gold since the miracle in '80.
We have won gold, which means it fits the criteria of my statement. Also, we haven't been nearly as bad as we were. We actually compete! In soccer we got the semifinals in 1930 and haven't been close to even that round since.

And again, if your logic is sound about the whole dawn to dusk thing, explain women's soccer.

The truth is nobody here gave a shit about soccer forever. Now people are starting to care and money is starting to float into it. That will turn the tide. We'll start growing talent now.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

I'm playing in a corporate league on my wife's Gap team. 7v7 with a shortened fields. No sliding, 2 girls 5 guys line-up.

Last night we played Stubhub. It was a close game, they were being a little dirty for a corporate co-ed game, but nothing outrageous.

Then I do a fast break into the opponents half, following a cross that was hit too hard, so I chase it to the far sideline. I'm in their half, facing the ball and sideline. Just as I save the ball from going out their KEEPER comes out of nowhere and slide tackles me from behind, getting my legs and zero ball. My legs go flying and the hardest hit I take is probably to my ass on the way down.

Red mist sets in. I jump up fast and am HOT. Yelling profanities at their keeper. Another one of their players comes in and pushes me (!) I don't take the bait for a swing, but I'm in his face and were probably doing the baseball pushing game at this point. I'm continuing to voice my displeasure at the keeper and random dude as the rest of my team catches up and we nearly get into a team brawl. Ref breaks it up with a red/ejection for their keeper, yellow/warning for the dude that pushed me.

Bizarre game. What struck me most was how dirty the whole team was. Had their players come after telling me stuff like "it was a 50/50 ball" and "the keeper slipped on the ball". Those statements were just bizarrely outright lies.

I have to admit I was a little rattled after, missed a good chance to score in the 5m or so that were left. Game ends tied 3-3.

Fuck Stubhub.
Last edited by Troy on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Whoa. Man... at UNC we played rec league, and a lot of the teams were a little dirty. I was the enforcer on our team, and the one who retaliated. I never got carded :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

If the USMNT loses, blame Trump.

So don't rule your country by what you believe to be its best interests, like the rest of the world does, or we'll use it against you.

U.S. has the best bid for the World Cup, you know, if Trump existing doesn't derail it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

I did not know the WC was going to 48 teams in 2026... damn that's a lot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Well, losingt
TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Does that tie put us in?
There are 4 more games.... we're 60% of the way through qualifying... we did it means we scored a point. However, the #2 and #4 teams in our bracket play the #5 and #6 teams, so it's likely we could fall back to 4th, but Mexico's the best team in our group. We then play each of the other 4 teams, so our chances are decent.
So... if we lose tonight, things look bad. And we're down 1-0 so far.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Well, we tied. We're now ahead of Honduras on goal differential tie-breaker for 3rd place. The good news is that with 2 game remaining, Honduras plays the 2 best teams, and we play the 2 worst. The bad news is that one of the teams we're playing still has something to play for, whereas Honduras' opponents are close to having their stuff locked up.
Malcolm

Soccer

Post by Malcolm »

Aleix Lalas calls out team.
"So, what are you guys going to do?" Lalas went on. "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything.