NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Check out some of these bets on UMBC.

That $20,000 bet pisses me off. How does someone so stupid have $20,000 to wager on anything?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

A #16 seed has never lost in the round of 32
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Hilarious
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

I had no expectation of winning, but I wish they'd call this game the same way on both ends.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Sorry NC fans.

MSU lost to Syracuse by 2 point. Free throws for Syracuse 34 and for MSU 16.

My bracket is a disaster.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Free throws for Syracuse 34 and for MSU 16.
Wow. Didn't watch it, or the UNC game.

Man. Uh, Go Clemson?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

What about... let them do what the fuck they want, and if they don't like their draft position, let them go back to college, since, you know, it's about education?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: What about... let them do what the fuck they want, and if they don't like their draft position, let them go back to college, since, you know, it's about education?
And let's give them all trophies for participating! :D jk

Ok, there really is a flaw in what you're proposing. They already do that. Kids who contemplate entering the draft are allowed, and I believe the NCAA facilitates, an analysis showing them where they would be drafted. It's legit opinions from NBA GMs. So the kids know if they're considered a lottery pick, late first round, second round, etc.

That's why when you see two kids from Zona declaring right after they lost, it's shitty. I'm not certain, but I don't believe those evaluations happen until after the tournament. So for the one guy at the center of the Zona scandal, he makes sense. He's considered a lottery pick by the MSM, and no point in staying if the word about him taking money is true. The other kid that declared nobody talks about, so that was odd. It shows he didn't give a shit about the tournament and his team. He just wants to get paid. That's a character issue, and teams will make note of it.

FYI, there is word around Columbus that due to the upcoming NBA draft being so loaded, Bates-Diop might return for another season. Hooray!
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Ok, there really is a flaw in what you're proposing. They already do that. Kids who contemplate entering the draft are allowed, and I believe the NCAA facilitates, an analysis showing them where they would be drafted.
No, they do not allow what I am saying. If they are a 2nd round draft pick, or even not drafted, or whatever, they can come back to college AFTER the draft.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: If they are a 2nd round draft pick, or even not drafted, or whatever, they can come back to college AFTER the draft.
They would already be told that they'd probably be second round or not drafted. So...why leave school? And how would that system be fair to the NBA and the team that drafted them?

Oh, you took a big risk, burnt a bridge and it didn't work out? Tough shit. That's life. Welcome to reality. I don't see other kids getting free parachutes, why do the athletes deserve them?

If they want protection from being taken in the 2nd round or not being drafted they could...wait for it...stay in school and finish their education!
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: And how would that system be fair to the NBA and the team that drafted them?
Alright, if they are not in the first two rounds. How about that?
Leisher wrote: If they want protection from being taken in the 2nd round or not being drafted they could...wait for it...stay in school and finish their education!
This is complete bullshit. If I go pro in software development, guess what, I CAN ALWAYS GO BACK TO SCHOOL.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ya, but can you rejoin the amateur programming league sponsored by the school and does the school give you a scholarship?

They can go back too. They just can't play ball and they have to pay for their classes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Ya, but can you rejoin the amateur programming league sponsored by the school and does the school give you a scholarship?

They can go back too. They just can't play ball and they have to pay for their classes.
Schools give academic scholarships. Doesn't prevent me from using my skills professionally.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Loyola has now won 3 games by a total of 4 points.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

And if they qualify for an academic scholarship, I'm sure they can use it.

If you are smart, you get an academic scholarship. You provide value to the school, academically, or something. If you are good at ball, you provide value by playing on their team. If you can't play on their team through ineligibility, then you provide no value to them.

This comes down to them keeping their amateur status. If they give it up by trying to go pro, then they lose their scholarship. Not their ability to go to school.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Alright, if they are not in the first two rounds. How about that?
So not drafted...the NBA only has two rounds. Again, they get told by professionals where they can expect to be drafted. If you're a second rounder, you probably suck and should stay in school.
TheCatt wrote: This is complete bullshit. If I go pro in software development, guess what, I CAN ALWAYS GO BACK TO SCHOOL.
No it's not. They are on scholarship and once they renounce it that scholarship opens up for a new kid to go to school for free. But fuck that person? Oh, and fuck the school who can't recruit someone to take your spot because they have to wait and see if you like where you get drafted?
Cakedaddy wrote: This comes down to them keeping their amateur status. If they give it up by trying to go pro, then they lose their scholarship. Not their ability to go to school.
Exactly.