NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

At least we didn't break a 31 year losing streak to an unranked team?
Coaches on both the Florida and Kentucky sidelines clearly had their talking points about the upcoming game and the ever-present streak of 31 straight victories for the Gators ready.

But that memo apparently wasn’t passed along to the Gators’ players.

When asked about UK’s 31 straight games of futility against Florida, defensive back Chauncey Gardner-Johnson asked: “It’s 31, right?”

And then added: “It’ll be 32 after Saturday.”
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Saw that. Apparently celebrating students flipped a car and then danced in a puddle in their underwear. Weird folks in Kentucky.

Other streaks broken Saturday:
1. The Kansas Jayhawks beat Central Michigan at Central Michigan. It was KU’s first road win since a triumph at freaking UTEP in 2009. The program had lost 46 in a row away from Lawrence, in addition to losing almost every game played in Lawrence.
2. A Michigan receiver caught a touchdown pass. It had been 364 days.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: . A Michigan receiver caught a touchdown pass. It had been 364 days.
That's disturbing.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

North Texas pulls off a punt return that will be talked about for years to come.

Vandervilt could have beaten ND today if one of their receivers had held onto a pass deep in ND territory at the end.

Syracuse hammered FSU. Ouch.

The Big Ten outside of OSU, PSU, MSU, and TTUN had a miserable day.

That OSU-TCU was pretty entertaining. Two high powered offenses battling. The thing about no huddle offenses, like what TCU runs, is your guys have to be in really good shape on both sides of the ball. TCU's players were clearly running out of gas midway through the 3rd quarter. Their left guard(?), #58, was crazy gassed late. Dude could barely move. TCU got screwed early on a complete no call that nobody noticed when OSU recovered a fumble in the end zone. A player whose foot was out of bounds touched the ball before it was recovered. Problem is that should have resulted in a safety with OSU getting the ball in great field position. Nobody saw it until later though, so the TD counted. OSU got screwed later when the best defensive player for TCU went to tackle in what seemed like clear targeting, which was called. After review, they overturned it and didn't even keep the penalty, which I thought was still enforced because the hit was still illegal. Killed an OSU drive. The game's turning point came when OSU, down 21-13, scored 20 points in 4 minutes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

That's beautiful. There's a lot more on twitter.

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

UNC won.

But pretty fucking embarrassing day for ACC as BC lost to Purdue, and VA Tech lost to ODU. Oh my.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Va Tech, 98.4% chance to win, favored by 29 points. Lost to a team that lost to Liberty 52-10.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Well, he does have a better winning percentage than Urban.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Clemson's former starter transferring.

Dabo Swinney did not handle this well, and I assure you that other people will use this situation against him in recruiting.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

How should he have handled it?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Like pretty much every other coach since football started?

You have an incumbent starter. It's his job until it's not. This wasn't Brady taking over for injured Bledsoe. This was platooning your incumbent with a freshman. If you need to evaluate, do so in camp. That's why it's there. Incumbents should lose their jobs there OR if they're failing on the field, you pull them.

You don't go in and intentionally sabotage someone by platooning them.

This forces Bryant to transfer in the middle of the season when his options will be severely limited. It's the same shit as oversigning, just more insidious, because instead of letting a kid leave to pursue other opportunities, you're essentially trying to trap them in your system via no options to leave.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

The freshman's better. A starter has never been replaced by a better player? Ever?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: The freshman's better. A starter has never been replaced by a better player? Ever?
I don't disagree the better player is getting the start. I cannot recall a switch in this manner.

It's shitty, and I'd bet you anything they knew in camp, but didn't want Bryant transferring. Thus, they went into the season in their weak early schedule making him believe he was part of the team only to pull the rug out from under him.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Clemson's former starter transferring.

Dabo Swinney did not handle this well, and I assure you that other people will use this situation against him in recruiting.
New started injured in 1st half and will not return. Too bad they don't have that former starter lying around to play. They are losing 16-7.