NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Goodbye SEC.

A 9 seed is going to play an 11 seed in the Elite 8. In the lower bracket on that side a 9 is going to play a 3.

WTF is going on?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Yall are the new face of slavery in America :)
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Goodbye SEC.

A 9 seed is going to play an 11 seed in the Elite 8. In the lower bracket on that side a 9 is going to play a 3.

WTF is going on?
I don't know, but I'm sure pulling for FSU
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Cakedaddy wrote:
Source of the post This comes down to them keeping their amateur status. If they give it up by trying to go pro, then they lose their scholarship. Not their ability to go to school.

Exactly.
But why? that's completely arbitrary. It's punishment for no reason. They _tried_ to go pro, and didn't, so they are still amateurs, but your forfeiting their scholarship anyway? There's no moral justification for that.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But why? that's completely arbitrary. It's punishment for no reason. They _tried_ to go pro, and didn't, so they are still amateurs, but your forfeiting their scholarship anyway? There's no moral justification for that.
Again, THEY CAN RETURN TO COLLEGE! They just lose their scholarship, which is their fucking fault! Meanwhile, a new kid gets that scholarship who otherwise couldn't afford school. Why are you so anxious to fuck that kid over Catt?

And AGAIN, they get told where they're very likely to be drafted BY NBA GMS prior to declaring, so what fucking more do they need?

NBA GMs - "We project you as a late second rounder or someone who won't be drafted at all."

Player - "Fuck this school, my education, and your scholarship (Which is worth tens of thousands of dollars or more and yet somehow isn't "paying players"...but I digress.). I'm going pro because money is the only thing important to me."

Draft night comes and the player isn't drafted.

Player - "Hey school, I didn't get drafted so give me back my scholarship. I need to get more work in on my skills before I declare again next year."

School - "We already gave your scholarship to a new kid. You showed us your priority isn't us or your education, so why would we want you back?"

Player - "Because Catt said that I'M the most important person in this scenario. Fuck the school. Fuck the new kid getting that scholarship. Fuck all the other students. It's all about ME." (Also, fuck the NBA team who might have drafted him late, and now he's returning to school. Why do they get for the lost draft pick? For the lost time, money, and effort in scouting him?)

Why would the school want to pay someone to attend who doesn't want to be there? Why would the coach want that cancer on the team? Would you want to play with someone who doesn't give a fuck about his teammates or the team's success and only wants to pad his stats because he's trying to get drafted higher?

Why doesn't the school get a choice in your scenario?

If a company pays for an employee to go get an education, they make the person sign a document requiring them to stick around for X number of years afterwards because they want a return on their investment. Why do we screw that person, but we want the athlete to be able to go hunt for another job and if he can't find it, return to get his job back?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: NBA GMs - "We project you as a late second rounder or someone who won't be drafted at all."
This is only one piece of the equation. It's not like a guaranteed or even static scenario.
Leisher wrote: Also, fuck the NBA team who might have drafted him late,
They're already evaluating a lot of other talent, and you know what -> You already said they didn't draft him, so it's a wash.
Leisher wrote: Why would the school want to pay someone to attend who doesn't want to be there? Why would the coach want that cancer on the team? Would you want to play with someone who doesn't give a fuck about his teammates or the team's success and only wants to pad his stats because he's trying to get drafted higher?
You're in the deep end here. Painting with way too broad a brush, etc, etc. He's searching out his options, why doesn't that kid have options? Why are you making him a slave?
Leisher wrote: Why doesn't the school get a choice in your scenario?
Did I even say that? Never.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: This is only one piece of the equation. It's not like a guaranteed or even static scenario.
Nobody in the history of forever has ever been a projected second rounder and moved up to a lottery pick.
TheCatt wrote: You already said they didn't draft him, so it's a wash.
For one scenario, yes. However, you suggested even kids not happy with where they were drafted could return to school, so what then? How is the NBA team recompensated?
TheCatt wrote: You're in the deep end here. Painting with way too broad a brush, etc, etc. He's searching out his options, why doesn't that kid have options? Why are you making him a slave?
Why are you making the school the slave? I'm not in the deep end, those are all legit questions. He's free to explore his options and gets information to do so.

I love that "slave" = A free education most people can never afford and even if they can spend the next decade or more paying it back slowly. Oh, and let's not forget the opportunity to get paid a 6 figure salary MINIMUM whenever he decides to leave. AND in a sport suffering from a major scandal where players at numerous schools are being paid hundreds of dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Oh the humanity! Maybe we should start a telethon for them?
TheCatt wrote: Did I even say that? Never.
I must have missed the part in your scenario where the school can turn him down. Why can't schools, legally or morally (fuck you Alabama), re-evaluate players and pull scholarships from those not good enough? Why is the school locked into a four year commitment, but you think the player should be allowed to jet whenever?

Oh, and educate yourself on their EXISTING options. First, there's Europe. Aaron Craft had a great career at OSU, never got drafted and now makes 6 figures or more playing ball in Spain. There are countless examples of other players doing the same. Two of the Ball family dropped out of school to do exactly this thing. Second, there's China, which also pays players excellent money. Third, there's the G league, which is the NBA's developmental league where players receive a salary.

Why can't these players go with those options when they're undrafted? Why must the school, team, and other kids be punished for their bad decision?

In other, but related news Catt's kind of players are selfish, pieces of shit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: However, you suggested even kids not happy with where they were drafted could return to school, so what then?
I already changed that proposal. Learn to read (Hey, who's Malcolm, now?)
Leisher wrote: Maybe we should start a telethon for them?
GO ahead.
Leisher wrote: Why can't schools, legally or morally (fuck you Alabama), re-evaluate players and pull scholarships from those not good enough?
Probably because they ALSO restrict those same players from going to another school without wasting a year of their life.
In other, but related news Catt's kind of players are selfish, pieces of shit.
Their coach led them off the court.
Leisher wrote: Why can't these players go with those options when they're undrafted? Why must the school, team, and other kids be punished for their bad decision?
Yeah, schools are being hurt so hard by the collective billions they're making.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I already changed that proposal.
Your new one still sucks. (now we're both Malcolm.)
TheCatt wrote: Probably because they ALSO restrict those same players from going to another school without wasting a year of their life.
Different topic and we'd probably find more common ground there. Although a player can transfer and be free to play elsewhere after a year. A school has no option of dumping an underperforming player.
TheCatt wrote: Their coach led them off the court.
You mean the "dirty as fuck, caught cheating before, and generally thought of as a shit person who only recruits one and dones" led them off? Shocking.
TheCatt wrote: Yeah, schools are being hurt so hard by the collective billions they're making.
Fucking hippie blaming the rich for oppressing him.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Different topic and we'd probably find more common ground there.
I don't think it's different, I think the terms and conditions of the player's term or all part of the whole.
Leisher wrote: You mean the "dirty as fuck, caught cheating before, and generally thought of as a shit person who only recruits one and dones" led them off? Shocking.
I'm just saying, the players were following his lead.
Leisher wrote: Fucking hippie blaming the rich for oppressing him.
Damn the man.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I don't think it's different, I think the terms and conditions of the player's term or all part of the whole.
Fine, it's not different. The player can move onto another school without any real penalty. The school is stuck with the player. Yet another "Me first" reward. :D
TheCatt wrote: I'm just saying, the players were following his lead.
I know, I was just goofing on him. Apparently, some Kentucky players did shake hands.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

So tired of hearing about the billions that colleges make off the kids. The kids get SO fucking much from the program, for free. Not only do they get access to first rate education programs (which most ignore because lets face it, they are their for part 2), they get trained, mentored, and prepared for what they are really after. . . a pro sports career. The get access to the best coaches. The best training. The best facilities. The best of everything sports related. They could NEVER get prepared for a professional career outside of college, the way they are as part of a college team. How many people go pro without going through a college program first? Some people go to school to learn how to be a teacher, or an engineer. These kids are learning how to play pro ball. They could NEVER afford to pay for the education they are receiving there.

Those kids get a LOT for their time and effort playing for the schools. What would it cost for a rich kid to just pay to have access to that level of 'sports stuff'?

And if your boss heard you were looking for a new job, how would that play out?
Boss: "Heard you were entertaining other offers."
Catt: "Ya, but none of them worked out because they weren't paying enough. I'll just stay here."
Boss: "Ok, awesome. Good to hear. Nothing's changed about how we feel about you at all. And we'll continue to trust you with important projects and clients just like before."
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Catt: "Ya, but none of them worked out because they weren't paying enough. I'll just stay here."
Actually, he gave me a raise :)
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Catt is happy Duke is out. I'm happy their 85/81 loss won me $450. (I had 5 for the winner and 1 for the loser in squares.)
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Catt is happy Duke is out. I'm happy their 85/81 loss won me $450. (I had 5 for the winner and 1 for the loser in squares.)
Damn that's a lot of $.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Damn that's a lot of $.
Every year one of the guys I know has a $100 squares board. It filled up in the first hour with more people wanting squares. So this year he did a second board with $150 squares. I moved to that one. I buy three squares annually. One for me and two for others folks.

If you're reading this and don't know how it works:
-You buy a square that is randomly placed on the board. (He uses cards to randomize the squares.)
-Numbers are then randomized for the winning and losing team which are placed along the top and left of the board respectively.
-You now have that combo for EVERY game in the tournament. For example: If your square landed you on 0 for the winner and 6 for the loser any game that ended where the winner's score ended with 0 and the loser's score ended with 6 means you win.
-Different payouts for different rounds. 1st round was $150, 2nd round was $200, 4th was $450, etc. I think the championship game is $1200.

Every square I bought this year has hit, which is great. Typically, you want to hit a game the first weekend so you break even. Anything more than one and/or after that weekend is profit.

I've never asked here, but keep this in mind next year if you'd like to participate.

KBD is heading to the NBA. I was hoping we'd get him for another year, but wasn't sure we'd have the team to support him. Good character kid and a good player. Notice he waited a week to make his decision? He was focused on the tournament unlike those stooges in Zona.

Big Ten fills three of the Frozen Four spots.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Women's Final Four... all the #1 seeds made it. Both games went to OT... almost had an all ACC final, but Louisville blew a late lead.

UConn upset by UND, 91-89
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Tonight's no-ACC final (You deserve that for all the shit you gave me all year! :D ) should be a blowout.

Wagner IS Michigan. Without him, they get routed by Loyola Chicago. If he gets into foul trouble or Nova keys their defense on him, I don't know how Michigan will score or get boards.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

First the gymnastics thing, then the football players, now this. I mean. trifecta.