NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It's a whole other thing when your big gun says the same thing.
I missed Rutgers' statement?
I still think it's all going to be cancelled, but at least Ryan Day is putting action behind his "we are fighting for the athletes" statement
I think they should make an effort. And not just because I want to see some football.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I missed Rutgers' statement?
Weird. It was a joint statement with UNC.

Dabo doesn't think the title will be diminished this year.

That's exactly what he should say, but it will be tarnished whether he likes it or not. Half of all teams, so far, aren't playing. It's like how the Canadians won all those Stanley Cups when there were only 8 teams in the league.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That's exactly what he should say, but it will be tarnished whether he likes it or not. Half of all teams, so far, aren't playing.
Only the Power 5 matter, so 40% aren't playing. And the Big 12 doesn't matter. Really, only OSU matters, so like 15% of possible champions aren't playing.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: That's exactly what he should say, but it will be tarnished whether he likes it or not. Half of all teams, so far, aren't playing.
Only the Power 5 matter, so 40% aren't playing. And the Big 12 doesn't matter. Really, only OSU matters, so like 15% of possible champions aren't playing.
More like 50% if pre-season predictions were to be believed.

Anyway, while that is technically true, they're also playing a shortened season. Nobody is playing OOC. Teams won't be exhausted, battle hardened, injury plagued, and so on. Plus, there's a reason they play the games. If outcomes were certain, we'd just have OSU, Clemson, the winner of the SEC, and whatever wildcard play in a tournament and skip the rest of the season.

That's all before we get into the inevitable games cancelled due to teams getting C-19.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

MSU's president voted no to fall sports.

Then today:
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Except the one that matters.
Leisher wrote: MSU's president voted no to fall sports.
Friend of ours lost a job offer at MSU due to "no football"
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Except the one that matters.
If it's not in the record books, it doesn't matter.

I think it's all going to be moot anyway. Georgia is the nation's covid hotbed and FSU players are openly saying FSU is faking their covid measures. No way do all these schools prevent an outbreak.
TheCatt wrote: Friend of ours lost a job offer at MSU due to "no football"
And yet intramural sports will be played, classes will be in session, and dorms will be full.

There's now a rumor that the Pac12 and B1G cancelled the seasons because of the players groups that formed, but that's horseshit. Those groups had no legal power or standing and were simply formed regarding covid. This was strictly about preventing potential lawsuits.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Should players in the leagues that gave up be allowed to transfer immediately?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

The transfer portal opens in late Sept from what I understand.

And I would say no. What teams will have room for them? Are you willing to fuck over other kids who already have a spot?

Plus, nobody's season is certain,
not even the B1G's...

Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

I haven't read all of any of this. But is the "let them play" crowd thinking of anything other than money? Parents want their kids trained to draft early. Players want to play to get drafted early. Others need them to play so they can get paid now. Etc. I mean, there's no getting around this. They WILL be exposed, and many will contract it.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Money is absolutely a factor, but so is returning to normal life.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Justin Fields wants to play
In the petition, Fields wrote that the players believe "the safety protocols have been established and can be maintained to mitigate concerns of exposure to Covid 19." He goes on to say that he believes the players should be able to make decisions about what is best for their health and their future.

A Big Ten spokesperson and commissioner Kevin Warren did not immediately return a request for comment.

Ohio State center Josh Myers said he signed the petition. In an interview with ESPN before Fields posted the petition, Myers expressed his frustration with the Big Ten over the decision to move the season to the spring, saying he and his teammates felt it was safe to try to play in the fall.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

I signed that this morning.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

I think they should try. And keeping it to same conference, lots of testing + heart monitoring... worth a shot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

UNC is canceling in person undergrad instruction. Students can go home.

Student athletes can stay on campus. EXTRA BUBBLE!