NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

NCAA punishes Missouri.

To the NCAA, academic fraud is apparently equal to selling your own property.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

Define 'Selling your own property'.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Define 'Selling your own property'.
He's probably referring to the OSU scandal where they sold their own gear or something?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote: Define 'Selling your own property'.
He's probably referring to the OSU scandal where they sold their own gear or something?
Yep.

4-5 (I forget which) players sold their own property that was given to them by the school (legally) and got tattoos. That led to Tressel resigning, Fickell taking over, OSU going to a bowl at 6-6, and costing us a shot at a national title when they were 12-0 the following year.

That, in the NCAA's mind, is equivalent to academic fraud.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: That, in the NCAA's mind, is equivalent to academic fraud.
Based on UNC's experience, sounds like it's worse than academic fraud :)
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: That, in the NCAA's mind, is equivalent to academic fraud.
Based on UNC's experience, sounds like it's worse than academic fraud :)
Truth!

It's also worse than everything that went on in Miami in the 80s.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

I don't know the details, but I understand them cracking down on players selling gifts. Obviously, that leads to vehicles/apartments/etc. I don't know the rules, but I'm guessing they aren't allowed to sell anything at all. Because they don't want to set a limit "Anything less than $50 in value and no more than 3 times per month" etc. If the players get equipment to play the sport, they shouldn't sell/trade it.

Sure, huge difference between fake grades/diplomas and trading a $200 pair of shoes for a tattoo (I thinks that's about what it was, no?). But, both are rules violations which would create ineligible players and tainted games that may or may not have turned out differently if they weren't on the team.

The only question I would have is:
If the affected players were removed from the team as soon as they broke a rule, how many games would be affected and to what degree? I would just say, any game those players played in after they broke a rule would be converted to losses, or at least removed from the schedule. And if a minimum of games weren't won to be eligible for bowls, etc, then, no bowl game.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: If the players get equipment to play the sport, they shouldn't sell/trade it.
They didn't sell equipment. They, literally, sold jerseys, trophies, etc. from prior years. NCAA considers it 100% ok after they're gone from the school, not while in...unless you're Alabama where this exact same thing has happened once before OSU got busted and once after, but faced no punishment...

They can't punish players immediately because they typically don't find out until well after the fact. OSU's issue was made worse when Gene Smith, our AD, rewarded the team and coach after the scandal by allowing them at 6-6 to go to a bowl. The following year, Urban came in, went 12-0, and couldn't play Notre Dame for the title because they faced a bowl ban that year instead of the prior year.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

When I said equipment, it was just a generic term. They were selling things provided to them. I understand your anger because you got punished and others don't. Totally get that. But to argue that you shouldn't be punished because someone else wasn't isn't a good plan! You both should have gotten in trouble. Hell, the NCAA should get in trouble.

And I know they can't ban the player immediately because no one knows about it (or doesn't do anything about it) till later. Had Tressell immediately suspended or punished the players instead of looking the other way, things would have been different for him and OSU. That's why they have to remove games after the fact. Those players (on all teams) were ineligible as soon as they broke the first rule. Any game after that is disqualified. OSU punishment may have been out of wack (the bowl game suspension stuff). But I understand the punishment. OSU opted for a shitty bowl game instead of a good one. My guess is, they didn't know who would be coach or how good they'd do, so they took the bird in the hand.

If only all of the schools would follow all of the rules and the NCAA were fair with all teams.

I have about as much respect for the NCAA as I do Unions.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: If only all of the schools would follow all of the rules and the NCAA were fair with all teams.
That's all I want.
Cakedaddy wrote: I have about as much respect for the NCAA as I do Unions.
Ditto.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Missou got fucked by the NCAA.

It seems like unless you're from the SE, your school will get heavier sanctions.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Missou got fucked by the NCAA.

It seems like unless you're from the SE, your school will get heavier sanctions.
Well, the NCAA has rules, and those rules are what scapegoated UNC.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Wooo! OSU beat Rutgers!
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Lots of my friends are State fans. At least one of them was there. He said it was the saddest thing he'd ever seen.
Leisher wrote: Wooo! OSU beat Rutgers!
Take the wins you can get!
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

FSU kicks QB Francois off the team.

Maybe they're hoping this'll offset the karma from helping Jameis steal and rape.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Iowa bitch slams TTUN recruiting tweet aimed at TEs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

2. If you thought Pac-12 football was bad, check out basketball in that league. The conference sent three teams to the NCAA tournament last year, and with a month to go in the regular season, it does not have any guaranteed invites beyond its automatic berth.
Seriously, is it just a Power 4 world now?