NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Goodby, Minnesota, hello inevitable loss
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Baylor was up 28-3 and now the Sooners are down a TD.

Also, one of LSU's "ranked wins", Texas, lost to Iowa State. They won't be ranked next week.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

Don't try to pretend Chris Evans is a nobody. I've never heard of most of OSU players either. Doesn't mean it's because they aren't good or important to the program. It's because I don't follow them! I honestly had no idea who the OSU guy was until I googled him. Based on the tone of the conversation, I assumed he was OSU, and google confirmed it. Don't pretend it was only 2 games for any reason other than politics. The whole system is (college football) corrupt and with the right promise/donation, rules/punishments are ignored. There was plenty of politicking going on to get it down to two unimportant games.

Well, when was the last time one of our players was caught cheating/NCAA rules violation? What was the result? Honest question because I don't follow it. I googled it and the results were dominated with Chris Evans links. What I DO know, is there has been a LOT of OSU violations over the last decade. Resulting in some VERY high profile stuff.

I'm not salty about the incident. Not in the slightest. Just showing how classless OSU is. :-) Also showing that we (that's right. We. I'm part of the program.) take violations more seriously. Be it grades or otherwise. MANY schools would give two shits about a player's grades. Chris was set to be the Wolverine's leading returning rusher in the 2019 season.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

This post is for Cake...

I'm going to give you the best info I can because I believe you're genuinely asking. That's going to make this post long. Sorry.
Cakedaddy wrote: Don't try to pretend Chris Evans is a nobody
He's a waiter in a restaurant in Michigan apparently. I seriously had never heard of him, and actually follow the sport. You clearly do not because you have never heard of Chase Young who is not only in the Heisman race, but also projected to be a top 5 pick. He'd be #1 if not for teams who need QBs. I've heard his name watching games on Sunday.
Cakedaddy wrote: Don't pretend it was only 2 games for any reason other than politics.
You're right. There's no other reason possible. It can't have anything to with OSU self-reporting. It can't have anything to do with the loan being proven as having been paid back. It can't have anything to do with the loan coming from a family friend and not an agent. Nope, it must be politics. After all, the NCAA has been so kind to OSU over the years...
Cakedaddy wrote: The whole system is (college football) corrupt and with the right promise/donation, rules/punishments are ignored. There was plenty of politicking going on to get it down to two unimportant games.
Under appeal it was going to be dropped to 2 games anyway. The percentage of appeals that get punishments dropped in half is crazy high. However, I agree college football is corrupt. It's why OSU has won the Big Ten title in 2 of the 3(?) previous years and still have been left out of the playoffs. One time in favor of a team that didn't even win their own division or conference.

LSU just had a booster get sent to jail for over 30+ years and in court he admitted to funneling money to LSU players. No NCAA investigation.
Clemson had an assistant bball coach admit on a federal wire tap that Dabo pays football players. No NCAA investigation.
Yahoo had texts proving Cam Newton's dad was paid money to get him to go to Auburn? (Where did he go?) No NCAA investigation.
The SEC plays 1 fewer conference game and all routinely play FCS schools. No NCAA mandate to make schedules equal.
Alabama hasn't played on the road outside of conference or a neutral site in over a decade. No NCAA mandate to correct that.
Meanwhile, there have been several NCAA investigations at every other P5 school that's even remotely challenged the SEC, including Michigan, with the exception of Clemson.

And so on.
Cakedaddy wrote: Well, when was the last time one of our players was caught cheating/NCAA rules violation? What was the result? Honest question because I don't follow it.
Michigan has been named in the big shoe scandal that's been playing out in federal court. They've not yet been as directly linked as Arizona, Kansas, Duke, and so on, but they were in at least one report. (Note: I was genuinely worried OSU would be named, but I guess there's a reason our bball team sucked.)

I forget what Michigan's violations were in what I mentioned in the last section, but they weren't major.

There was also this one.

Michigan has had 14 players arrested over the past 5 years (through 2015). OSU is at 12.

Michigan had an All-American safety arrested for assault with a deadly weapon or dangerous weapon (two counts) within the past 10 years, but he played after maybe being suspended for a half (I'm not being snippy, I think that's true, but could absolutely be wrong. I do know he played.). I believe he's in the NFL now.

Harbaugh has been in a lot of controversial recruiting discussions on the national stage, but I have genuinely seen him as in the right on most of them.

There was some violation about extra practices that were an NCAA violation, but I don't remember if that was Harbaugh or Rich Rod.

I also know of a scandal involving the Fab Five, that involved them stealing beer from a Dairy Queen, that nobody knows about because it got covered up.

That list is without a ton of researching, but I also know there are self-reporting recruiting violations that I'll discuss in a moment.
Cakedaddy wrote: What I DO know, is there has been a LOT of OSU violations over the last decade. Resulting in some VERY high profile stuff.
Only three, and I think Tressel's is pushing that "last decade" line.

OSU players sold their own property in exchange for tattoos. Not a terribly huge violation by itself. You can google what the players got as punishment. I think it was a few games each depending on the player. However, Tressel fucked up majorly and didn't report it in the spring when he found out. He tried to correct the issue privately, and once OSU, the school, actually found out they reported it. Yes, it was self-reported. The NCAA hammered Tressel, which cost him his job. However, OSU got hit with a bowl ban. That bowl ban cost OSU a national title. How? Well, dumb ass Gene Smith allowed a 6-6 OSU team to go to a crummy bowl game that year instead of self imposing a bowl ban. Had he, then they would have been eligible the following year, Meyer's first, when they were 12-0. They would have played against undefeated Notre Dame instead of 1 loss Alabama, and according to Vegas would have been heavy favorites to win. (Don't get me started on how Bama had players sell their stuff for tattoos with no punishment.)

The Chase Young thing I'm counting as a "VERY high profile" scandal, but it only is because he'll easily be a top 5 draft pick, possibly #1. If he wasn't such a huge star of the game or at a small school nobody would talk about it. Stuff like this happens ALL the time, but don't get reported by the media because nobody cares when it happens at Colorado or some place like that.

The other scandal is Zach Smith. He was a legacy coach Meyer kept around because he's the grandson of Earl Bruce, who was Meyer's mentor. If Smith didn't have that connection he would have been fired years earlier. This one happened during all the #metoo stuff and got much bigger headlines because it was OSU. Basically, the allegation was that Meyer had knowledge of Zach Smith smacking his wife around and did nothing about it. Literally, no on the field stuff at all, this was strictly about Meyer keeping a coach employed the #metoo movement wanted fired. Here's the details: Let's call the wife Courtney. I think that is her name, but I'm not sure. Courtney has been with Zach since before the Meyer-Florida days, and never said shit. She only went to the press after her and Zach split and waited until right before the season. That was vindictive. After a lot of back and forth Meyer ended up getting suspended three games and Zach was fired. Two fun facts that nobody outside of OSU talks about:
1. Her own mother spoke out against her daughter's claims. Turns out Courtney is a massive drunk, and while Zach assuredly hit her, she was also very abusive and would do so publicly.
2. Brett McMurphy was the reporter she ran to, and he is a noted Meyer and OSU hater. (He tweeted tonight that "Good teams win. Great teams cover. #Rutgers) If facts in Courtney's story were proven incorrect he would go edit them out of his original story. (That's true. Google it.) He's also been fired from several legit outlets and basically works for some no name blog or something now. Break a major story like that and you'd think it would make a reporter's career, but not him. I wonder why?

Not sure I'd call those three a "LOT". Also, none of them involve recruiting or impermissible benefits or anything, so I'm not sure that's where you want to hang your hat if you're going the "our program doesn't do that stuff" route.

OSU does self report NCAA violations during recruiting every year, but so do ALL schools. Yes, including Michigan. They're all minor things that usually result in no real punishment, but sometimes a school can no longer recruit a player.
Cakedaddy wrote: Also showing that we (that's right. We. I'm part of the program.) take violations more seriously.
No you don't. In case you don't remember the Fab Five they were bball players for Michigan whose entire body of work was wiped out due to NCAA violations. Michigan just hired one of them as their head bball coach. You'd think hiring a key member of a group of students responsible for the biggest scandal in Michigan history would be frowned upon.
Cakedaddy wrote: Be it grades or otherwise.
2019 APR rankings.

Ok, that was a lot of countering your points, so let me finish with Joel Klatt discussing Michigan football extremely honestly. He uses actual facts, it's very pro-Harbaugh, and frankly pro-Michigan. It's also anti-fan expectations.

https://youtu.be/d-NRuKFpxmM
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Down goes Baylor.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Down goes Baylor.
Go PAC 12, I guess?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

I really think Clemson + OSU are the two best teams in the nation. I really hope one of them makes it to 1 to avoid them playing in the first game.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

I don't think Clemson has a chance based on their schedule.

OSU would only get to #1 if LSU loses or if OSU annihilates PSU, TTUN, and Wisky/Minn, while LSU struggles.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

We're #10.

Two of our 2019 non-conference opponents are ranked above us...
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: We're #10.

Two of our 2019 non-conference opponents are ranked above us...
Keep it up (until December 4th)
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

ACC has 3 of the top 5 teams, 4 of the top 7. 12 of the past 20 NCAA championships were won by teams in the top 7.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

For the controversy stuff: I'm too ignorant on all the facts to really get into it. But I'll stand by my "You are in the news more for it" statement. So, I'll chalk that up as a win. :-)

For the politics and the games players are suspended for. Again, ignorant on the long history. But in the last two years, we turned a first/second string RB into a waiter because of grades. Shows class in my opinion that the program and its standards matter. As your clip shows, Michigan is doing really really well on paper. This RB was in second place for two years with total season rushing yards(team). So, definitely part of what has been making Michigan so 'good'. But we kicked him off the team because of a team violation. Many schools don't. So, one point for us. You have a player breaking NCAA rules! Two irrelevant game suspensions. Which lets face it, means nothing. Nothing to the program, nothing to the player. This is not a punishment. I don't know all the REAL details about the transaction. "Family friend" that he met AFTER joining OSU. Hmmm. Loan that was paid back. Paid back after he was caught? We'll never know. . . But seriously, perhaps the punishment does fit the crime (both were irrelevant. A non-punishment for a non-crime). BUT, I don't care how much the NCAA hates OSU, there was politicking going on. Because, college football is corrupt. This is not points against OSU, it's points against college football. I don't fault OSU for this particular punishment. But I also don't call it a punishment. It's like they are spinning this as "We really care" when really, it's "We don't really care about any of this but we'll act like we do". So, for the 2019 season, I score one point for us. We severely punished a player, and the program, for what many would consider a minor violation. You did nothing to a player for something many would consider a minor violation.

Zack Smith. I thought Meyer also said he didn't know anything about any of the abuse during a news conference. Then quickly changed his story when everyone showed it was obvious he did know. I chalked that up to a panic answer and didn't judge TOO harshly for it. But it was fuel for the metoo fire.

I figured you'd bring up the Fab 5 at some point. We also didn't use them for recruiting, etc. They were basically shunned from the school for a looooong time. If they hired one now, I would argue 'time served' on that one.

As far as Harbaugh doing great at Michigan. Ya. He is. On paper. What the problem is, as you are very well aware of, he doesn't beat the teams we need to beat. OSU, MS, ND. We aren't even competitive with OSU. And that's unforgivable. For decades, that game mattered. Through the 90's, how many winning seasons did we ruin for each other? OSU or Michigan gets denied the Rosebowl game because the losing record other team beat the contenders? You never knew what was going to happen. Now we get out coached year after year after year. I don't want a winning season. I want to beat OSU! That's why he's in trouble right now. The players have the talent. The coaches fail. As I pointed out last year, OSU knew exactly how to counter everything we did, because we'd been playing the same way the entire season. You knew what we were going to do. We looked surprised every play, implying, you guys changed everything about your team to play differently against us. Or, we are just stupid. Which again, should get your fired! Our staff goes into that game like "We are a good team. We have good plays. They worked really well through the season. Today should be no different." Except that OSU studied you all year and will know how to counter all of it. Duh. In the old day, even if we had a crappy season, it was ok as long as we ruined OSU's season at the end (denied the Rosebowl). That doesn't happen any more, so, it's just a crappy season.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: For the controversy stuff: I'm too ignorant on all the facts to really get into it. But I'll stand by my "You are in the news more for it" statement. So, I'll chalk that up as a win.
We are in the news for it, but that's because we're relevant. :D Ok, I'm poking fun, but it is true. The MSM knows if they slap OSU on something, it's going to get clicks and ratings. It's why we get selected to Bowl games when whatever bowl it is has the option to pick their team. OSU is the #1 road team in the country and is responsible for most of the highest rated games each season.
Cakedaddy wrote: But in the last two years, we turned a first/second string RB into a waiter because of grades. Shows class in my opinion that the program and its standards matter.
OSU has also booted players for getting in trouble off the field or getting bad grades. This is not exclusive to UM, sorry. It
is
cool to root for programs that aren't complete trash when it comes to ethics, like SEC teams.

Hell, Carlos Hyde, OSU's starting RB at the time was accused of hitting a woman in a club. Urban suspended him immediately. The video came out showing Hyde didn't touch her, but Urban still suspended him a game for putting himself in that position.
Cakedaddy wrote: So, one point for us.
So you don't get that point.
Cakedaddy wrote: Two irrelevant game suspensions. Which lets face it, means nothing. Nothing to the program, nothing to the player. This is not a punishment.
To be fair OSU didn't pick those games. That's just when the story broke, which was the same week they were moved to #1 in the CFP. If OSU would have known earlier they would have reported it earlier so as not to jeopardize Chase's eligibility for PSU, UM, B1G championship, etc.
Cakedaddy wrote: "Family friend" that he met AFTER joining OSU. Hmmm. Loan that was paid back. Paid back after he was caught? We'll never know. . .
Your details are wrong. Family friend BEFORE his freshman year at OSU. Also, loan was paid back in April, which was proven to the NCAA.
Cakedaddy wrote: But seriously, perhaps the punishment does fit the crime (both were irrelevant. A non-punishment for a non-crime).
So yes.
Cakedaddy wrote: Because, college football is corrupt.
No argument.
Cakedaddy wrote: So, for the 2019 season, I score one point for us. We severely punished a player, and the program, for what many would consider a minor violation. You did nothing to a player for something many would consider a minor violation.
Nope. You're completely looking at it wrong. OSU self reported and risked losing the top player in the nation for key games and possibly forever. Our AD even went to him once they suspended him for the first game and asked if he even wanted them to bother fighting for his eligibility. Why? Because the kid is going in the first 3 picks in the NFL draft and many assumed he just wouldn't come back to play and risk injury. However, he wanted to return to play for a title. Point OSU.
Cakedaddy wrote: Zack Smith. I thought Meyer also said he didn't know anything about any of the abuse during a news conference. Then quickly changed his story when everyone showed it was obvious he did know. I chalked that up to a panic answer and didn't judge TOO harshly for it. But it was fuel for the metoo fire.
That whole thing was a shit show and had nothing to do with football. For me, the biggest flag was her mother coming out in defense of Zack Smith.
Cakedaddy wrote: I figured you'd bring up the Fab 5 at some point. We also didn't use them for recruiting, etc. They were basically shunned from the school for a looooong time. If they hired one now, I would argue 'time served' on that one.
They weren't shunned. They were banned per the NCAA. Huge difference. End of the day, they brought back someone associated with the school's biggest scandal. Minus a point.
Cakedaddy wrote: As far as Harbaugh doing great at Michigan.
I honestly don't know about Harbaugh. He has made them win again, but you're right about the big games. I know he's a massive asshole who really grates on people, and thus, I feel like he has a really tough time getting top tier coaches to come there. I also think his oddball ways turn off recruits and/or their families. I feel like he has the ability to get them to the biggest stage, but I also feel like he holds them back.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Your details are wrong. Family friend BEFORE his freshman year at OSU.
Cake is not wrong. "Close family friend" that he made the SUMMER before freshman year. More than 6 months after his commitment to OSU.

They keep repeating the phrase "close family friend" because of how the NCAA regulations are written.

As for the 2nd half, we don't know when he was caught and realized he needed to pay that back quick. We only know when stuff came to light.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

Score. Point back on the board!

The article I read made sure to point out that it was a new friend since joining/committing to OSU. I don't know all the details because I wasn't involved. But it's VERY sketchy and I do believe that there is a strong possibility that the rules were broken to a higher degree than is being advertised. But that's all I have. A belief. Again, college football is corrupt.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Cake is not wrong. "Close family friend" that he made the SUMMER before freshman year. More than 6 months after his commitment to OSU.
This is semantics. He specifically said "joining". I took that to mean attending school.
TheCatt wrote: They keep repeating the phrase "close family friend" because of how the NCAA regulations are written.
Yeah, because the person is NOT an agent.
TheCatt wrote: As for the 2nd half, we don't know when he was caught and realized he needed to pay that back quick. We only know when stuff came to light.
All speculation, and as bad as the OSU fans who think someone at Maryland or James Franklin leaked it.
Cakedaddy wrote: Score. Point back on the board!
Nope.
Cakedaddy wrote: I don't know all the details because I wasn't involved. But it's VERY sketchy and I do believe that there is a strong possibility that the rules were broken to a higher degree than is being advertised.
Nobody does, which is why your belief is just wishful thinking. It can be tough to swallow that your program is worse AND the one you hate plays by the rules as well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

I'd give Cake 1/2 a point.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Acceptable.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

Which makes me half right, and you half wrong.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Remind me to slap you next time I see you.