NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Let me correct ESPN's defense:
"We paid a billion fucking dollars for the rights to air SEC games. We're also losing money and subscribers like crazy. Look at how we've got Steven A. Smith commenting on every sport like anyone could possibly be an expert on all of them. We have to pretend the SEC is the best in the nation to get you to watch their games on our channel or we lose our asses!"
So if the SEC isn't the best at football, who is?
That's a great question. Clearly the Pac-12 is heads and shoulders above everyone. I kid!

I know we want to declare one conference "the best", but I don't know if such a classification means shit.

First of all, all conferences would have to be on an even playing field, and they are not. That's not even a point that can be debated. That's going to skew any data we bring up. The SEC's bullshit pre-season rankings, their weak ass out of conference schedules, Bama not playing on the road in over a decade, the number of P5 teams they play versus other conferences, and yes even bowl records would all be suspect. How do those advantages translate to wins?

Those advantages also help them with recruiting. And let's be really honest, the NCAA turning a blind eye to indiscretions at some of these schools helps them too.

Take Clemson's PED scandal as an example. Their head coach just admitted that the program possibly has been accidentally giving PEDs to their players and that story didn't last a day in the headlines. Where is the NCAA?

If that was OSU (or another school from a conference without a contract with ESPN), it'd be a lead article on ESPN's site for a week. ESPN mercilessly attack Urban Meyer because he might have known about a domestic violence incident involving a coach from years ago. Meanwhile, they're writing articles about how Kareem Hunt deserves a second chance for actually assaulting a woman.

You cannot say the MSM's biased takes on things don't help or hurt schools, but to what effect?

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand. Honestly, conferences are nothing more than platforms for their best teams. The drop off from best team to worst team in each conference is pretty huge.

We routinely mock the Big Ten West because it's weak, but why do we give the SEC East any credibility? It's a complete joke. Nobody in that division has done shit in a decade, but they're SEC so they get the benefit of the doubt. LSU and Auburn are always mentioned as contenders, but LSU has been an also-ran for longer than everyone in the SEC East. Auburn had one miracle year based upon a fluke play against Alabama.

Take Bama out of the SEC and what are you left with? Mediocre offenses with terrible defenses.

Without Clemson, where would the ACC be? Hanging out with the Pac-12?

Take, uh..., you know what? Fuck you Pac-12.

Take OSU out of the B1G and you have a field that compares to the SEC without Bama. A bunch of middling teams who are contenders every couple of years.

Is the Big 12 the best conference? Seriously. They don't have a Bama, Clemson, or OSU at the top, but they have more of those "every couple of years contenders" than any other conference. Oklahoma, Ok St, TCU, K St more rarely, and Texas looks to be jumping back into the fray.

So I have no idea. I just know that nobody else can truly say which conference is the best either. Not at this time with things not being equal.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Tennessee finally played a good team for the first time in a long time... I'm going to bed, but it aint pretty at the moment (62-38 with 12 to go)
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

OSU was doing great at MSU today. Up 4 with around 6 minutes to go when an MSU player lost the ball, it went back over half court and out of bounds. No OSU player came within 3 feet of the ball or within 2 feet of the player when he lost the ball. The officials ruled it MSU ball. The announcers were flabbergasted in real time. Replays proved no one with eyes should have ever made that call. MSU gets the ball immediately cuts the lead and all of OSU's momentum was gone.

Bad calls happen, but it sucks when they're that blatant, ala the PI in NO.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Scoring 2 points in the final 7:40 probably didn't help.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

They turned the ball over 12 times in the second half too.

Like I said, they had all the momentum, and then it was gone. Started at that call.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

ESPN confirms it's just the Power 4 in basketball. Or, seven, if you desperately want to include the PAC-12.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

NCAA seniors can play in 3x3 tournament for $150k prize
All-Star teams of college seniors will compete for a $150,000 prize in a 3-on-3 tournament before this year's NCAA national championship game.

The Dos Equis 3X3U National Championship, announced on Monday, will be played at the Mall of America in Minneapolis on April 5-7.

Only players who have exhausted their NCAA eligibility may participate. The championship team will earn a spot in the 2019 USA Basketball 3X3 National Championship in May

Last year's tournament was won by the Big Ten team of Indiana's Robert Johnson, Minnesota's Nate Mason, Ohio State's Jae'Sean Tate and Purdue's Vincent Edwards.

The 2020 Tokyo Olympics will include 3-on-3 basketball as a medal sport for the first time.
I didn't even know this existed last year? I remember the "big" 3x3 tournament, but not this one. How does that work with seniors who might be playing the weekend before, or is it just ones who get eliminated the first weekend/dont make the tournament?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Or, seven, if you desperately want to include the PAC-12.
Seriously, what the fuck is going on with them?
TheCatt wrote:I didn't even know this existed last year? I remember the "big" 3x3 tournament, but not this one. How does that work with seniors who might be playing the weekend before, or is it just ones who get eliminated the first weekend/dont make the tournament?
First I've heard of this as well, and the B1G won last year.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: If you're paying Super Bowl prices for a regular season match-up, you're a dumb fuck.

I know if Catt had tickets he'd be selling them!
Yeah, but they only get that high for the games that are at Duke. It's a tiny place. The UNC games are expensive already (lowest $900 or so), but never get Duke expensive.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Huge win for UNC, Zion or not.

Ga fan costs them the game.

I wish there was a follow up. Did he get beatdown by other fans? Was he arrested, and thus, protected?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Wow, Duke without Zion... might as well be OSU :P

Feels a little cheap to get the victory that way, but I'll take it
Troy

NCAA

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Huge win for UNC, Zion or not.

Ga fan costs them the game.

I wish there was a follow up. Did he get beatdown by other fans? Was he arrested, and thus, protected?
Someone is not going to be popular in Athens this week. Wow.

Also go Heels!!!
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wow, Duke without Zion... might as well be OSU :P

Feels a little cheap to get the victory that way, but I'll take it
As cheap as the shot you just took at OSU. Rude!

Wonder how the folks who paid Super Bowl prices felt about Zion getting hurt early on?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wonder how the folks who paid Super Bowl prices felt about Zion getting hurt early on?
I didn't watch the game, cuz it would have kept me up past midnight... but watching those clips is about the quietest I've ever seen Cameron.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Watching the game now. Cannot believe how bad the 3 pt shooting has been. Fun game. Especially since I know how it ends.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Nike lost the night by far though.

Their shoe blew out and hurt the best player in college.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Nike lost the night by far though.

Their shoe blew out and hurt the best player in college.
Srsly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Jim Beohim in car accident that killed a pedestrian
Investigators say two cars were involved in an accident and the passengers got out of their vehicles. Boeheim, who was driving on 690, hit and killed one of the people who had gotten out of their car after the initial accident.

Sources tell us the man's car was partially in the driving lane of 690 when he got out of the vehicle.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

I can't stand Boeheim, but I wouldn't wish this sort of thing on anyone. It's a horrific accident and something that'll sit in the back of his head for the rest of his life. Terrible.