PGA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: PGA

Post by Leisher »

This could go into the Olympics thread too...

Rory crushes the Olympics and does his own "I'm not a role model."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

McIlroy was candid about golf's inadequate drug testing, saying he could "take HGH and get away with it."
So it's like every other sport? The only banned substances in golf should be ones that keep you awake when the boredom would other take your consciousness.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It was widely rumored that Tiger Tiger Woods Ya'll was on the juice.

Seems even more legit now when you see exactly how his body is breaking down.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote:It was widely rumored that Tiger Tiger Woods Ya'll was on the juice.

Seems even more legit now when you see exactly how his body is breaking down.
I saw this article not so long ago about Tiger. Its really long but really well written, I think its an exceptional piece. It really makes you see how much of dorky, introverted, misunderstood guy he was, yet he was still an arrogant dick.

I think a lot of the cause for his body breaking down is from his really strong desire to be a navy SEAL and some of the strenuous activities he partook in. I'm sure he was juicing somewhere along the way tho. Leisher, you will really like this article, read it.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... oods-death
On July 22, he finished tied for 12th at the Open Championship, and then came home. In the weeks afterward, he'd announce that he'd ruptured his left ACL while jogging in Isleworth. His news release did not mention whether he'd been running in sneakers or combat boots. At the time, he chose to skip surgery and keep playing. Tiger's account might be true, as might the scenario laid out in Haney's book: that he tore the ACL in the Kill House with SEALs. Most likely, they're both right. The knee suffered repeated stresses and injuries, from military drills and elite-level sports training and high-weight, low-rep lifting.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Training to be an elite athlete to get better at golf is like buying a Maserati so you can drive exclusively in 20mph zones.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

True, instead of working out, he should have just hit the buffet and then pitched 9 innings.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Unlike golf, baseball actually gives its player opportunity to showcase athletic prowess:

1) smacking a spheroid hurtling at you in the 90mph range while doing a nasty curve
2) making a diving catch or leaping several feet off the ground to make a backhanded catch over the wall
3) doing a 90-foot dash while someone launches a ball 250 feet trying to gun you down, ending with a trick slide to get home a split second before the

Golf? You swing at a stationary ball, and no one's fielding it or trying to stop you from getting to it. Shit, they even elevate it off the ground for you on the first shot to make it easy. Unless you're 6 or under, no baseball player uses a tee.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Unlike golf, baseball actually gives its player opportunity to showcase athletic prowess:
Sure it does, once an hour, maybe... Guys have, literally, stood in one place for entire games and done nothing. At least in golf you walk a couple miles.
1) smacking a spheroid hurtling at you in the 90mph range while doing a nasty curve
While standing in one place. Big Papi couldn't run 3 feet yet he can do this.
2) making a diving catch or leaping several feet off the ground to make a backhanded catch over the wall
Diving catches once every 5 games and their leaping abilities isn't rivaling any NBA teams. Holy shit is Sportscenter boring during the summer. The Top Ten Plays is always shit you can see at any high school or softball field.
doing a 90-foot dash while someone launches a ball 250 feet trying to gun you down, ending with a trick slide to get home a split second before the
This is how baseball tricks you. It's so mind numbingly boring that when something remotely interesting happens you think it's the greatest thing ever. If football were on against it, nobody would be watching baseball.

Baseball is so easy to play Cecil Fielder could roll his 400 pound ass out to first base and play for years. Tough game.
Golf? You swing at a stationary ball, and no one's fielding it or trying to stop you from getting to it. Shit, they even elevate it off the ground for you on the first shot to make it easy. Unless you're 6 or under, no baseball player uses a tee.
This is simply ignorance. Hitting a golf ball is the most difficult thing in all of sports. Your entire statement proves that point. Even under ideal circumstances, it's still rare for someone to hit a perfect shot. Hitting pitches is like being in a race car (both things I can speak about from experience), eventually the ball/track slows down and you mentally catch up making the task easier than you would imagine. I remember by lap 3 I was thinking, "The rush is gone, and now it just feels like I'm driving on any expressway."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hitting a golf ball is the most difficult thing in all of sports
Bullshit. Hitting a hard curve from a top MLB pitcher is still far more difficult. Playing cricket is more difficult.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Back when I used to dawdle at golf I'd sometimes accidentally drive a ball 250 yards (feet? I don't remember. whichever is the good one). I'm not sure if I could hit a major league pitch one time in 50, and I was in little league so I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing at the plate.

I've always seen baseball as a team sport, but in golf you are only competing against yourself... it is a game you can never win.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wtf? You're competing directly against others in golf.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Not really. Nothing you do affects anyone else, you are just playing against the course.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Not really. Nothing you do affects anyone else, you are just playing against the course.
Bah. Psychology applies to golf as much as anywhere else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Disagree. A round of golf is just a bunch of people trying to play the course better than everyone else (or make business deals), they aren't actively striving against each other.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

GORDON wrote:Disagree. A round of golf is just a bunch of people trying to play the course better than everyone else (or make business deals), they aren't actively striving against each other.
Ive gotta disagree here. When Tiger was at the top of his game it was common place for competitors melt to the pressure they were under just because they were facing Tiger on a Sunday. He had them beat mentally before they ever took a shot.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Disagree. A round of golf is just a bunch of people trying to play the course better than everyone else (or make business deals), they aren't actively striving against each other.
Maybe if they each play the course individually and are kept ignorant of anyone else's score until after all shots are made. Otherwise, no.
word:yips

usage: noun, informal

definition: extreme nervousness causing a golfer to miss easy putts
Hell, they'd have to be kept in the dark about who they're competing against if you really want to make it fair.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

You can't tell me that there is no pressure when the guy your golfing with just stuck a 180yard shot 3 feet from the cup on the 18th Sunday at Augusta, and now its your turn to shoot.. To me its probably one of the most stressful moments in sports, its ALL on you, nobody else. Unlike all other sports that have teammates, you can't depend on someone else to help your team get the job done.

The last 9 holes of a major are some of the best moments in sports, if you like seeing people absolutely melt under the pressure. Some of the biggest meltdowns in all of sports happen in golf. Its what made Tiger so great, I'd say that his military background from his dad and training to keep calm under pressure and rising to the occasion were his strongest attributes.

Golf is absolutely one of the hardest competitive sports there is.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You can't tell me that there is no pressure when the guy your golfing with just stuck a 180yard shot 3 feet from the cup on the 18th Sunday at Augusta, and now its your turn to shoot.. To me its probably one of the most stressful moments in sports
Wait a minute. Now we're taking this to the other extreme. No way is it close to the "most stressful" sports moments, let alone anything else. It's no more nerves than headlining and having to follow a kick-ass opener that may have blown you out of the water. Furthermore, golf is the opposite of stress. Just hit the fucking stationary ball.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There's really no way I can argue about players shooting other players with mind bullets, or the existence of psyching each other out. So I guess.