NBA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Vince

NBA

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Didn't 538 say Hillary had a 99% chance to win?

It has the damn Warriors as underdogs still. Sometimes stats are stupid.
NO. 538 actually was ATTACKED for saying Trump had a 22% chance of winning. HuffPo said 99%.

Houston has home advantage. So that's probably what's accounting for the tilt.
Yeah, 538 was probably the best on covering the 2016 election. Nate whatshisname that runs it is a straight up numbers guy. He leans left, but that rarely makes its way into the data analysis with him.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Does 538 include the NBA clearly rigging series to go longer to generate more revenue?

I told Stranger last night that the NBA is the WWE except with a ball.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

NBA

Post by Stranger »

Ho Hum. Just another NBA finals for Lebron.

This man is truly remarkable. Literally, with his #2 player out of the game, (who really isn’t that good) and a bunch of over the hill scrubs, he plays all 48 minutes in his 15th season and goes to his 8th straight finals.

I don’t even care if he leaves or not, he’s made being a Cleveland fan fun and that’s all I could ever ask for.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Literally, with his #2 player out of the game
Literally, with their #1 and #2 player out, Boston got within a game of the finals.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Lebron does in the offseason. Stay in Cleveland? Try to win the East from Philly? Run to the west and face off with GS?

I hope he gets another title this year. He deserves it. I hope he gets to face the Rockets too so we can stop hearing about GS.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Well, I guess this year's finals are both a surprise, and not a surprise.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Now that the interesting part of the season is over, let's talk about where Lebron lands next year.

(I will not be watching the Warriors win in 5, but will be rooting for the Cavs for my friends/family.)

Let's talk long shots first:
Boston - It's at least a little bit possible. It's been discussed here and there, and you cannot discount Danny Ainge doing something crazy. This is the longest shot, and honestly, I don't want it.

Golden State - Can't afford him and everyone else. I suppose they could trade Klay, but could you imagine the hatred? I truly think actual fans of sports would tune out the NBA. Sure, they'd get casual idiots who want to watch the show, but I think they'd lose more fans and credibility.

LA Clippers - In LA, but zero chance to win anything.

Miami - To reunite with Wade and Riley. Not much of a team there, but they'd immediately be contenders with Lebron. However, even if they beat the Celtics and/or 76ers, they wouldn't be good enough to beat the West.

Now for the more realistic ones:
Philly - Not sure how Philly makes this work. I'm guessing a sign and trade with Cleveland that sends Cleveland Fultz and maybe a pick or two.

Here's how he could end up in Houston.

LA Lakers - This is the one people have discussed since forever. However, there's a rumor that the Lakers could be getting Paul George and Khawi Leonard. That would mean Lebron is the odd man out. And honestly, why wouldn't you take a young Leonard over an old (and really locker room cancer) Lebron? Let's say Lebron and George end up in LA, is that enough to win the West? I doubt it. Does Lebron still care about championships or is he all in on making movies? (That's the rumored reason behind a move to LA.)

Cleveland - Does he want to be a movie producer or own an NBA team? He'll probably need to pick. Some speculate that Dan Gilbert could convince Lebron to stay by offering him ownership of the Cavs. (It would need to be a back room deal as it wouldn't be legal in the NBA's eyes.) Despite the emergence of Boston and Philly staying home might be his best chance of returning to the finals.

Long story short: I think there's a real possibility Lebron stays in Cleveland.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

He's got nothing to worry about.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Good luck to your team Stranger. I honestly hope he gets Cleveland another title.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Good luck to your team Stranger. I honestly hope he gets Cleveland another title.
No offense to Stranger, but I don't. I don't really have a good reason for that, though.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Cleveland is the lesser of two evils in this series.

I get to root for the team my friends/family will root for.

Lebron is the GOAT and he honestly deserves another.

I also hope he stays in Cleveland so Boston can be the team to end his run of finals.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Lebron is the GOAT and he honestly deserves another.
Meh. MJ has 6 rings :P
Leisher wrote: I also hope he stays in Cleveland so Boston can be the team to end his run of finals.
Agree.
Stranger

NBA

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Good luck to your team Stranger. I honestly hope he gets Cleveland another title.
Thanks, i know its a long shot but i'm hoping Cleveland is the hungrier team and that GS has the championship hangover.
TheCatt wrote: Meh. MJ has 6 rings

If that were the only deciding factor then.. Meh, Bill Russell has 11 rings :mrgreen:
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote: If that were the only deciding factor then.. Meh, Bill Russell has 11 rings
Sports from before the 80s dont count :)
Stranger

NBA

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote:
Stranger wrote: If that were the only deciding factor then.. Meh, Bill Russell has 11 rings
Sports from before the 80s dont count :)
Well In that case, Robert Horry won 7.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote: Robert Horry
I had to google him.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

That last play in regulation sums up the NBA.

Missed free throw (for the win).
JR Smith rebounds UNDER THE BASKET and takes the ball to half court with 2 seconds left, the clock running, and a tie game. WTF was he doing?
Lebron is clearly calling timeout and the officials ignore him.

Holy shit. I cannot believe they are going to lose because of that. That's going to be a constantly referenced all time blunder.
Stranger

NBA

Post by Stranger »

to me that wasn't even the worst thing that happened.

when the refs overturned the obvious charge call on KD with 30 seconds left i was blown away! First off, who knew there was a rule in the NBA that would allow the refs to overturn a call? and second, when have you ever heard a call overturned? Even Steve Javie, the NBA ref that comes on the broadcast to give a "refs" perspective said he'd never have overturned that play. HUGE turning point in that game, never mind the JR bonehead play.

So instead of having a 1 point lead and the ball with >30 seconds left, KD gets 2 free throws and now GS has the lead.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

NBA

Post by Stranger »

and when i say overturned, the refs literally went to the replay and looked to see if Lebron was outside of the restricted area (which he CLEARLY was) then they decide that Lebron had blocked him. No way, there should be no way they can overturn a judgement call.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!