NBA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Butler beat all the TImberwolves starters in that practice.

Damn. They also canceled the next practice.

Timberwolves management needs to make a move ASAP or their season is fucked.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

NBA agrees with Catt that a college alternative to 1 and done is needed
As part of a newly formed "professional path" starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft. It will target recent or would-be high school graduates who otherwise would have likely spent just one season playing college basketball, enticing them not only with a six-figure salary but also the opportunity to benefit from NBA infrastructure, as well as a bevy of off-court development programs "geared towards facilitating and accelerating their transition to the pro game," Turner said.
Although, the whole idea that they need the 1 and done, or this, instead of just going to the NBA, is still retarded.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Pretty sure I posted about the G league a year ago.

Any kid that passes up a chance at a free education for a pipe dream deserves what they get.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Lakers lose first game with Lebron who is already having to answer questions about chemistry.

It amazes me how routinely people think one person equals championships in team sports. This isn't a slam at Lebron. He knows it takes a team. This is a shot at the media and moron fans.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

This year is basically a throw away year for them.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Yep. I don't get why people think one guy can come in and completely turn a team around.

Boston and Golden State are LOADED from the star to the bench. One guy and some scrubs aren't competing with that.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Breakdown of the fight during the Lakers-Rockets game.

NBA fights always prove to me that even grown ass men who are top of the world athletes still fight like bitches.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Considering the vast, vast majority of them end up being busts, neither sponsors paying kids nor the G League are great options for the kids or society.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Considering the vast, vast majority of them end up being busts, neither sponsors paying kids nor the G League are great options for the kids or society.
Dude got $1 million. Better that he makes $5 million for the NCAA?
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Considering the vast, vast majority of them end up being busts, neither sponsors paying kids nor the G League are great options for the kids or society.
Dude got $1 million. Better that he makes $5 million for the NCAA?
Fair point, but I go to the "Give a man a fish" proverb. Ok, he's getting $1 million. Awesome. However, he's 18. What happens if he doesn't pan out? Now what?

Understand that I assume the majority of people who will choose this option are poor urban kids. What are the odds they go back to school? What are the odds they wisely invested that money? How about their posse and extended family? What effect did those hangers on have on the kid's finances.

And yes, I'm a Darwin person and it's not the NBA's responsibility to educate the kid, but our society is going to deal with the repercussions of this kid being hung out to dry.

So instead of him making the NCAA some money and him getting an education out of it, now we have a system where a corporate sponsor is going to profit off of him, pay him a pittance, and he'll learn no life skills whatsoever.

I'm torn on this issue badly. I want the kid to have a chance to market his skills, but at the same time, this isn't a business prodigy. This is a child playing a game. I just think the kid is getting used.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Understand that I assume the majority of people who will choose this option are poor urban kids. What are the odds they go back to school? What are the odds they wisely invested that money? How about their posse and extended family? What effect did those hangers on have on the kid's finances.
Racist.

Hopefully some financial education comes from that agent. But, "don't give the kids money cu he cannot be trusted" is awfully paternalistic.
Leisher wrote: So instead of him making the NCAA some money and him getting an education out of it,
"Education" Really? How much of an education do you think the kids playing ball are getting? I'm about 90% sure you've come out saying how worthless college can be, and how it's not needed for success, etc, yet here, you want someone to give up a sure $1 million (with options to earn up to $14 million on the contract), to stay in school.
Leisher wrote: now we have a system where a corporate sponsor is going to profit off of him, pay him a pittance, and he'll learn no life skills whatsoever.
If $1 million is a pittance, please, sign me up for some pittances.
Leisher wrote: I just think the kid is getting used.
Well, I know we've had this debate before.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Racist.
When I picked the kids, I was picturing a white kid. What color are the kids you're picturing?
TheCatt wrote: Hopefully some financial education comes from that agent.
It does not. This has been an issue is every major league and Hollywood since day one.
TheCatt wrote: But, "don't give the kids money cu he cannot be trusted" is awfully paternalistic.
Fair point, but it that an awful thing?
"Education" Really? How much of an education do you think the kids playing ball are getting? I'm about 90% sure you've come out saying how worthless college can be, and how it's not needed for success, etc, yet here, you want someone to give up a sure $1 million (with options to earn up to $14 million on the contract), to stay in school.
Let me make you 100% sure: College is fucking worthless for 90% of the jobs out there, and even more so as we become a service oriented society. However, society claims you need a piece of paper proving you wasted four years and tens of thousands of dollars. Point being, he'd have a fall back instead of probably getting a job at Foot Locker.

(On a side note, I think college can absolutely be worth it, but it needs to be revamped. Save that discussion for a different thread.)
TheCatt wrote: If $1 million is a pittance, please, sign me up for some pittances.
So you think an 18 year old kid whose family thinks him sitting around a year is better than him going to college is going to make wise financial decisions? That money won't last him 3 years.
TheCatt wrote: Well, I know we've had this debate before.
You lost then too. :D

Listen, like I said, I'm torn. I don't know that there's a black and white solution. For some kids, this might work out. For others it will be a disaster. I just think dangling these large paydays in front of poor children is unfair.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I just think dangling these large paydays in front of poor children is unfair.
Give me the free market, any day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

I thought there was a post with a Cleveland player saying they were still a playoff/competitive team... Well, they're 0-4, with the largest scoring differential (losing by an average of 14.5 pts/game) in the league.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

You are correct. I think it was Tristan Thompson.

It is early, but I don't think Cleveland's built as a contender. I think they'll give this group a shot, and if it fails, start trading.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Srsly, wtf?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Heard an interesting tidbit: Cavs owner Dan Gilbert wants to buy the Detroit Tigers. He's originally from Detroit and is a baseball guy. If he gets them, he'll probably sell the Cavs. I doubt you'll see him dumping big money into the Cavs going forward.