NHL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

The cost for league entry will be $650 million,
Holy fuck
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Some aftermath here

[video][/video]
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Pens and Lightning both get swept out of the playoffs.

The Lightning were the odds on favorite to win it all.

Pens need to retool their defense, and I'm not convinced Murray is the answer in goal.

TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

The Lightning was certainly a surprise considering how dominant they had been.

Go canes or caps
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Both top seeds are out now from each conference.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Carolina Hurricanes (Bunch of Jerks) helped set some NHL history with last night's double-OT game 7 over the Caps; 3rd longest game 7 in NHL playoff history.
The Washington Capitals' double-overtime loss to the Carolina Hurricanes means that, for the first time since the 1967 NHL expansion, no division champion won a playoff series. The Capitals, Tampa Bay Lightning, Nashville Predators and Calgary Flames were all eliminated in the first round. This is also the first time since 2012 where both Stanley Cup finalists from the previous season failed to win a playoff series.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Amazing. No other sport's playoffs can compete with the NHL playoffs. They're always so exciting because anyone can win.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Amazing. No other sport's playoffs can compete with the NHL playoffs. They're always so exciting because anyone can win.
Which really strikes to the heart of a problem, then, right? Is the game too random instead of skill-baseD?
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Considering this is only the first time ever for all division winners to be ousted in round 1, no. Also, since these are 7 game series, no.

It's still about skills, coaching, match ups, etc. These teams aren't getting lucky in a one game playoff, they're simply outplaying, coaching, skating, etc. the favored team in 4 out of 7 games.

For example: Pittsburgh wasn't expected to lose, but their defense SUCKS. Constant turnover will do that. The Islanders took advantage of that and made it a part of their game plan.

Also, some teams are built for regular season runs, but when playoff hockey comes, they crumble. Ask the OKC Thunder about that.

Now, I would argue baseball is a completely random sport. Not even sure what a baseball coach does. Hard to believe guys who can't hit successfully 40% of the time can perfectly guide struck balls to exactly where they want without fail.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Now, I would argue baseball is a completely random sport. Not even sure what a baseball coach does. Hard to believe guys who can't hit successfully 40% of the time can perfectly guide struck balls to exactly where they want without fail.
Math disagrees with you, and agrees with me.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Now, I would argue baseball is a completely random sport. Not even sure what a baseball coach does. Hard to believe guys who can't hit successfully 40% of the time can perfectly guide struck balls to exactly where they want without fail.
Math disagrees with you, and agrees with me.
I don't disagree with math, but I do disagree with how the problems/interpretations of results were formulated.

This is a long discussion that I'm not in the mood for right now though. Long fucking day and I'm just now sitting down to relax an hour before I go to bed.

Remind me and we'll come back to this another day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

I don't think that's how math works, ESPN.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Eh, it's a 13 year old boy, he probably deserved it :)

The story does say the boy hit Gritty on the head first.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Carolina Hurricanes use emergency goalie to finish game.

42 year old zamboni-driving AHL practice goalie.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »