NHL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: NHL

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote:
Leisher wrote:This discussion is about sports. Go talk about driving someplace else.
So driving has no place in this thread? Shit, that's most of the best shots golf has to offer.
Now you're reduced to word play? Shameful.

Also, you drive for show, but putt for dough. Legends are made on the greens, not the tee box.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Yeah, those thrilling putts put me on the edge of my seat. Nothing like watching a tiny white ball go 10 yards as opposed to watching a baseball fly 450 feet.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Putts occur every hole.

HRs or even hits are rare. That's why it's the perfect sport for the elderly. Nothing happens.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Putts occur every hole.

HRs or even hits are rare. That's why it's the perfect sport for the elderly. Nothing happens.
At least baseball players don't drive to the outfield in tiny carts.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote:
Leisher wrote:Putts occur every hole.

At least baseball players don't drive to the outfield in tiny carts.
Pros walk and I've seen the bullpen carts.

Baseball is so boring it's being compared to the excitement of watching golf.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Let's compare the ratings for the most "exciting" golf tourney (however the hell one decides that -- fewest yawns, I suppose) with the World Series ratings. The former might scrape a ceiling of 10M. The latter hovers reliably around 12-13M.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote:Let's compare the ratings for the most "exciting" golf tourney (however the hell one decides that -- fewest yawns, I suppose) with the World Series ratings. The former might scrape a ceiling of 10M. The latter hovers reliably around 12-13M.
Golf isn't a spectator sport yet they're pulling in millions of viewers and are just shy of baseball? That's not helping your argument. You're actually making mine.

I assume you love baseball and are just blindly defending it, and that's fine. I'm not judging, I'm just poking fun. Let me point something out I said previously: "I don't watch golf. I'll tune into the final few holes of a major and that's it." So I don't have a dog in the race. I just play golf, but I have coached baseball. As for comparisons, I know more people play golf in this country than they do baseball. I also get comparing golf to baseball because you can't attack the other major sports. There's no comparison in terms of excitement. Football, Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, and even the driving exhibitions all trump baseball in terms of excitement and popularity.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I assume you love baseball
You overestimate my feelings.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I don't think so as I don't believe you have human emotions.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:I don't think so as I don't believe you have human emotions.
I assume you love baseball
Really?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, a momentary lapse that I wasn't talking to a human being.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wild goalie has three consecutive shutouts under his belt. Going against the Sabres, who got blanked by him on Thursday.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wild are on a 7-game winning streak, 8 points behind the #1 team in the NHL, the goddamned Blackhawks. Stat highlights:

1) have no one in the top 10 overall for goals, points, or assists
2) have 3 of the top 6 +/- dudes, including #1 overall
3) have the goalie with the best GAA and save percentage, as well as tied for most shutouts
4) lead the NHL in team goals against and goals against per game

Defense and goaltending have been rocking, and the offense is less anemic than usual. The Twins sucks, the Vikings suck, and the T-Wolves suck. If there's going to be a championship in the next ten years in this town, it's got to come from the ice.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

And now NHL shutout leader in the clear.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

8-game win streak.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jaromir Jagr has about 23 NHL seasons under his belt and finally got to #2 on the all-time points list with 1,888. Just in case you've forgotten how much better Gretzky was compared to any player ever, he's got the #1 slot with an insane 2,857 points over 21 seasons. He still has more assists alone than Jagr has points.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The Toledo Walleye will be in the news again, but this time it won't be for an amazing championship series.

No, it's going to be "Rocky" night and they have special uniforms...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:Wild are on a 7-game winning streak, 8 points behind the #1 team in the NHL, the goddamned Blackhawks. Stat highlights:

1) have no one in the top 10 overall for goals, points, or assists
2) have 3 of the top 6 +/- dudes, including #1 overall
3) have the goalie with the best GAA and save percentage, as well as tied for most shutouts
4) lead the NHL in team goals against and goals against per game

Defense and goaltending have been rocking, and the offense is less anemic than usual. The Twins sucks, the Vikings suck, and the T-Wolves suck. If there's going to be a championship in the next ten years in this town, it's got to come from the ice.
Going for the 15th win in 17 games. Up 1-0 so far. Also, #1 from above still holds. The Wild now own 5 of the top 10 plus/minus ratings in the NHL, which is fucking absurd. #3 is still true. In the #4 categories, we've slipped to second best in the league. Still goddamned phenomenal considering we have 5 games in hand over our current division leader.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lead increased to 4-0.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

6-0 with 13:54 in the 3rd.