NHL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

That was an amazing game.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Are NHL game 7s the most exciting sporting events?

You'd be hard pressed to make a compelling argument against them.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

NHL

Post by Malcolm »

NHL has halfway decent parity in the top 50%. Which is why WC2 Nashville is alive.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

NHL

Post by Malcolm »

Preds win. Goddamn. WC2 team making a run at the Cup minus their top guy. Unless Ottawa pulls 2-game comeback streak, looking like it's the Pittsburgh Burgess Merediths for competition. See, this is shit you don't see in the NBA. Other sports, the wild card team at least has a fucking chance.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

That's because hockey is a stupid mostly random sport.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: That's because hockey is a stupid mostly random sport.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

You posted that in the wrong thread. You should put that in the MLB thread.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You posted that in the wrong thread. You should put that in the MLB thread.
Almost as relevant here if you look at the data in that article for all the sports.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Malcolm

NHL

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote: Not bait
The entire point of playoffs is that the regular season records mean dick and it gives teams who aren't statistically #1 a shot at the championship. Way I see it, regular season is like a long-ass qualifier. Postseason is where the real competition begins.
To this unbiased observer, European soccer has unequivocally the fairest system when it comes to deciding a league champion: by the end of the season, each team has played all the others both at home and away. This means all teams play the exact same schedule, and thus whoever wins the most games by definition deserved to win the league.
That unbiased observer can eat a dick because it means that one NFL season would have a ... what, 64-week schedule? A person might live to see one baseball or hockey season in their lifetime. Baseball seasons would be multi-generational events. Do you completely insulate conferences, divisions, etc., to shorten things artificially and speed to the playoff rounds? Then people will take to bitching about what team goes in what conference and you get the fucking NCAA. We have pro sports with 30-something teams per league. The math for a perfectly equally competition for every single team isn't fucking happening unless you want drastic shifts in structure. And seriously, are you suggesting we be more like Europe? Might I also suggest to that idiotic unbiased observer that watching a #1 team trounce a far-off second place for the last month of the season is boring as hell. NHL, NBA (well, not the past couple years), MLB, and NFL teams all give teams that had a quality season a fighting chance to win. The best records get rewarded by taking on lower seeds (in statistically good matchups), home advantage, and maybe a bye week. But they still have to earn it. They can't limp to the finish line in "coasting" mode. That's pathetic. That's French.
Malcolm

NHL

Post by Malcolm »

Senators still in it.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, that game sucked. Penguins looked lethargic. Poor stick handling throughout.

Hope they're back up for game 7.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NHL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Yeah, that game sucked. Penguins looked lethargic. Poor stick handling throughout.
I guess you are one to judge.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Yeah, that game sucked. Penguins looked lethargic. Poor stick handling throughout.
I guess you are one to judge.
It's true. I can't work a stick the way you can. Lack of interest I guess...
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

Pens dominated that first OT period, but couldn't score on good opportunities. That makes me nervous that Lady Luck is not on their side.

First time I've ever listened to a hockey game. (I'm at work.)
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Malcolm

NHL

Post by Malcolm »

Go Preds.
Leisher
Site Admin

NHL

Post by Leisher »

I really wish one of your teams could compete for something so we can root against them. :D
Malcolm

NHL

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: I really wish one of your teams could compete for something so we can root against them.
At least the hockey game woke me up from the coma that was induced by Drew Careyville versus Boston.

At least my team's throwback jersey design doesn't make the players look like crosses between clones of the Bumblebee Guy from "The Simpsons" and convicts on the shittiest chain gang in history.
If those outfits looked any worse, Adam West and Burt Ward would show up and kick their asses while shouting random interjections.