Tennis

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

To paraphrase Colonel John Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a mark's angry. He doesn't think straight."
Livid about Anderson's lengthy bathroom break after the second set, Murray dropped a series of F-bombs then smashed a racquet and bashed a ball into the crowd in frustration as his Open hopes slipped away.

"F***ing fine me," Murray raged during Anderson's toilet trip.

Edited By Malcolm on 1441732733
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Match fixing?

Sbnation had a big article on their site this morning, but I can't find it. Apparently, this is a pretty big deal, and far bigger than the linked ESPN article would make it seem.

Tennis could be in trouble. Not only does nobody give a fuck about it anymore, but having the credibility of your entire sport called into question? Not good.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Buzzfeed and BBC report behind the whole scandal.
The report charged that the core group of 16 suspected of match-fixing includes winners of Grand Slam singles and doubles titles in Grand Slam events, and that one player in the Top 50 now at the Australian Open has been accused of repeatedly fixing their first set. In the scheme, players are offered $50,000 or more per fix when visited in their hotel rooms.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

More on betting and tennis.
Andy Murray finds it "hypocritical" that tennis authorities are trying to stamp out match-fixing run by gambling syndicates but have partnered with a major gambling company that is now advertising on the Australian Open's show courts.
Tennis officials defended the partnership with gambling sponsors and provided an explanation that one Australian paper, The Age, called "positive topspin."

ATP Chairman Chris Kermode said that betting on sports was "a legal pastime" — not to be confused with corrupt forms of gambling like match-fixing.

"The distinction to make is that betting itself is not an illegal pastime and many people do bet on sport. What we are talking about is corruption," he told a news conference Monday called to reject claims that any evidence on match-fixing had been suppressed or gone unchecked.

So your main worry is corruption...
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ATP Prez: Corruption? What corruption?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Suspicious bets suspended.

On mixed doubles...

If you're betting on mixed doubles, you either have a problem or you're cheating.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Over a year to investigate corruption allegations.
Malcolm

Re: Tennis

Post by Malcolm »

Another Russian athlete, another doping scandal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Tennis

Post by Leisher »

ESPN Commentator gets fired for bad word choice.

See, he meant "guerrilla", not "gorilla"...even if I believed him, and I honestly don't know either way, he's still fucked. Political correctness demands a blood sacrifice anytime someone even thinks you're racist.

Leisher
Site Admin

Tennis

Post by Leisher »

McEnroe talks logically about Serena Williams.

He's not wrong. This isn't a single gimmick match he's discussing, but a full schedule.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tennis

Post by TheCatt »

I'm curious to know how she'd really do.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Tennis

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote: I'm curious to know how she'd really do.
5-10 years ago, I'd have been far more interested. Right now, she's in her mid 30s and has too many injuries under her belt.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tennis

Post by TheCatt »

Oh, and pre-pregnancy, too.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Tennis

Post by Malcolm »

I count that as an injury.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tennis

Post by Leisher »

Venus Williams killed a man in a car accident.

So I guess she'll win "Woman of the Year"?
Malcolm

Tennis

Post by Malcolm »

78-year old dude in a 5mph crash. Stupid? Yeah. But not Paul Walker or Vince Neill stupid.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tennis

Post by Leisher »

I think you missed the joke I made.
Malcolm

Tennis

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: I think you missed the joke I made.
South park already did it better.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tennis

Post by Leisher »

USTA officials rightfully upset that they aren't being supported versus Serena Williams.

She was blatantly cheating and warned about it three times. Her coach has admitted it as well.

Why are people still bitching about the official other than "they're fucking morons" or "they're wrapped up in this being, erroneously, called a sex or race thing"? (FYI: Serena said it's because she's a woman...ignore the fact that she was playing a woman in an all female event...)
Cakedaddy

Tennis

Post by Cakedaddy »

The little bit that I heard was "They all do it. The selective enforcement and harsh punishment is fucked up." Either let them do it, or enforce across the board.