Olympics

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by GORDON »

What was it Tanya Harding was famous for? I thought it was that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

Tonya Harding did pull off a triple axel, but not in the Olympics. She did it in the world championships.

Although, I think she's more famous for something else... :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by GORDON »

Personally, I'm a fan of the Triple Lindy.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

I would like to point out that Tonya Harding's sex tape continues to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen.

And I've seen the entire Faces of Death series.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by TheCatt »

Russia was banned from international sports for four years for a string of doping-related offenses and its brazen, repeated efforts to mislead authorities, the World Anti-Doping Agency announced in a unanimous decision on Monday.

Russian athletes won’t be allowed to compete under the Russian flag at next year’s Tokyo Olympics or at any of the global events governed by the WADA code. It also raises the prospect of the Russian national soccer team also being barred from the 2022 World Cup.
Russia banned again. Banned for 4 years of events.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

Russian boxers threatening to boycott the Olympics.

Uh...your country was caught cheating multiple times and are now being punished. I don't think anyone gives a shit about your threats of boycotting.
Separately, the speaker of Russia's upper house of parliament said Russia could create an alternative to the Olympics. "This ruling show the clear crisis in international sports institutions. I believe that Russia could host its own games at home,'' Valentina Matvienko said in comments reported by the Interfax news agency.
No, but seriously, what is the crisis? That people should let you cheat? And this alternative to the Olympics probably would've worked a lot better back when you could have forced the Eastern Bloc countries to participate.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by TheCatt »

I dated a girl that was virgin until marriage as well. Everything else (well, except anal) was fine, but not that. At what point does that even matter?
GORDON
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by GORDON »

It "hurt her dating life," meaning she could no longer trick men into dating her who thought she would engage in a healthy sex life, like most other adults.

I'm glad she outted herself.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

US Olympic whistleblower suing after being fired.

We seriously treat whistleblowers poorly in this country.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by TheCatt »

Protests will be punished
Taking a knee during the Tokyo Olympics or lifting a fist in support of racial equality will be punished as the International Olympic Committee on Wednesday maintained its ban on athletes' protests inside stadiums, at ceremonies and on podiums.

The IOC's Rule 50 forbids any kind of "demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda" in venues and any other Olympic area and the Games body concluded the rule should be maintained following an athlete consultation.

Against the backdrop of the Black Lives Matter movement protesting racial injustice, calls have increased in recent months for a change to that rule that would allow athletes to protest.

Some international federation chiefs, including World Athletics' President Sebastian Coe, have said that athletes should have the right to make gestures of political protest during the Games.

The IOC's Athletes' Commission chief Kirsty Coventry, who led a review of the rule, said the majority of athletes consulted were against any protests within the fields of play or the podiums.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

Anyone protesting offered legal support.
"This is precisely the outcome we expected," said Brendan Schwab, executive director of the World Players Association union. "The Olympic movement doesn't understand its own history better than the athletes."
Uh, actually sir, the Olympics are meant to be a break and distraction from all the bullshit people deal with in their lives. So telling athletes to start politicking is the exact opposite of what the Olympics are about.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:48 pm So telling athletes to start politicking is the exact opposite of what the Olympics are about
I think a broader message of racial equality can fit in with the Olympics. But it's always going to be controversial.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Avery Brundage deemed it to be a domestic political statement unfit for the apolitical, international forum the Olympic Games were intended to be. In response to their actions, he ordered Smith and Carlos suspended from the US team and banned from the Olympic Village. When the US Olympic Committee refused, Brundage threatened to ban the entire US track team. This threat led to the expulsion of the two athletes from the Games
I'm a little disappointed that the USOC didn't back them up more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Olympics

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:14 pm I'm a little disappointed that the USOC didn't back them up more.
I honestly get both sides.

The athletes want to use the platform to make a statement, but the Olympic folks don't want their games turned into a circus that audiences start tuning out.