Harbaugh ends up in... - For the Cakes

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.

Harbaugh ends up in... - For the Cakes

San Francisco
No votes
Michigan University
60%
Oakland
20%
Miami
No votes
Chicago
No votes
Atlanta
No votes
New York
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes: 5

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So the big question everyone in sportsball is talking about is where Jim Harbaugh ends up.

Does he take the ridiculous payday being offered by a desperate Michigan whose cupboards are bare?

Do the 49ers somehow mend their relationship with him and keep him for the next year as he IS still under contract?

Does some other NFL team make a huge play to keep him? Oakland clearly has the inside track there (HUGE salary cap room, Bay area, will pay him whatever, and their culture fits his personality).

I think the biggest obstacle for Michigan is that it's a destination job. Is Jim essentially ready to retire from the NFL? Does he want to go back to college and deal with the recruiting headaches? This is a guy who LOVES the NFL and wants a Super Bowl. If he takes the Michigan job, that dream is over. He can't come to Michigan for x amount of years and then go back to the pros. Sure, the pros will take him back, but Michigan fans will be pissed. Besides, Michigan isn't 2 years away from competing for the national title. It's 4 years away minimum.

Personally, I want him to go to Michigan and restore it to relevancy. That's a win for the Buckeyes and the Big Ten.

But if he doesn't, where does Michigan go from here? Being publicly rejected by the belle of the ball in a huge way is not going to help recruitment, and certainly won't make negotiating with other coaches easy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It's either the 'Niners or Oakland. Going from the NFL to the NCAA is indeed "ramping my career down" move. If San Fran has any aspirations of winning another Super Bowl before Steve Young is in the Mormon afterlife, they need to boot Jim.

Edited By Malcolm on 1419789039
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Michigan. Some people want the control (Saban, Harbaugh) that comes with non-professional players.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I say he wants the NFL ring more than the control.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:I say he wants the NFL ring more than the control.
Sure, he wants it. But the NFL ring is hard to get. Control is easy to get.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Michigan a done deal.

If this were true, it would require:
1. The San Francisco 49ers being unwilling to wait to hear trade offers from teams who have said they would be making them AND/OR get paid $5 million by another team.
2. Jim Harbaugh not wanting to listen to other teams make pitches to him for potentially more money.
3. Massive bribes that negate #1 and #2.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

#2. I really think he wants the control, and the college player thing. He did well at Stanford, he knows he can do as well at Michigan with less rigorous academics, and get a shit ton of money.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

But that ignores #1...

The guy is under contract and the GM hates him. Hell, I'd be dealing him right now during the game. Let his new owner deal with him trying to quit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:But that ignores #1...

The guy is under contract and the GM hates him. Hell, I'd be dealing him right now during the game. Let his new owner deal with him trying to quit.
GM wants him gone, the end. GM also doesn't want to get perceived as an awful GM to other potential coaches, so he has to let Harbaugh make the call in order to avoid alienating potential hires.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This makes it clear he's going to Michigan.

If somehow he goes to Oakland, SF is going to eat their asses.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

"Jim and I have come to the conclusion that it is in our mutual best interest to move in different directions," Niners CEO Jed York said in the statement. "We thank Jim for bringing a tremendous competitive nature and a great passion for the game to the 49ers. He and his staff restored a winning culture that has been the standard for our franchise throughout its history.

So now we're going to get to work destroying in that in the best division in football.

Their commitment and hard work resulted in a period of success that should be looked back on proudly by our organization and our fans. We wish Jim and his family all the best."

Cuz it will be all the NFC West titles and NFC championship games you have to remember for the next 5-10 years.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's a stupid move.

Ditto for the Jets. Rex Ryan took them to back to back (to back?) AFC championship games with garbage, and the garbage just got worse. That's not his fault. That's your shitty GMs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:It's a stupid move.

Ditto for the Jets. Rex Ryan took them to back to back (to back?) AFC championship games with garbage, and the garbage just got worse. That's not his fault. That's your shitty GMs.
Agreed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

There have been rumblings about Harbaugh ending up in Indianapolis once the NFL season is over. He played there and they have an established QB. It would be a good fit for him.

With Philbin about to be fired and the owner being a huge Michigan fan, and in love with the idea of Harbaugh coaching his team, plus the aforementioned Indy rumor, what are the odds Harbaugh is a one and done at Michigan?

To me, it seems unlikely, but Harbaugh is on record as saying he wants to coach in the NFL, not college. All coaches who leave the game always start off with one qualification when asked if they'd coach again: "It'd have to be a team with an established QB." That's Indy.

I don't know if either job could pull him away though as leaving after one year would make probably make him an enemy in the eyes of Michigan fans. (Although, all of them know he's not there for life. Usually I hear 4-5 years.)