Lagering takes too long....

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just bottled a Munich Helles and it has about another 10-14 days until it's ready, and I just brewed an Octoberfest that will be ready to drink by about October, because the lagering process takes a couple months.

I'm out of beer. I already drank a 6-pack of New Belgium's Fat Tire, but I'm probably going to need more beer soon..... does anyone know of a good commercial Kölsch? It's about my fave style. Preferably something I can get at Walmart because that's closest. But I have no idea how to search it and honestly I'm not super familiar with commercial microbrews because I make my own so I don't buy other peoples.

Maybe I should just sneak in another batch of an ale, which only takes a month from brew-my belly.

tl;dr - Someone tell me a good commercial Kölsch I can buy locally.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Give Leinenkugel's - Canoe Paddler a try. I bought a Leinen's mixed 12 pack a few weeks ago, mostly because my wife likes the Summer Shady and Berry Weis which I don't care much for but I thought I'd give the other two types a try.

I liked the Canoe Paddler so much I had to get a 12. I was able to find a 12 pack at the Anderson's here in Toledo but it was the only one they had. They had singles you could buy but I wasn't interested in that. Went back to Anderson's the other day to buy some more and they didn't have any :(

I got the mixed 12 pack at Kroger but I've never seen this beer anywhere else. Not sure what kind of selection Walmart has but it might be worth checking out. If all else fails I'd bet that Joseph's Beverage Center would have them but I know that's out of the way for you.

Never heard of a Kolsch style beer nor did I know I liked them so much. Maybe this one is actually shitty compared to other Kolsch styles but I rather enjoyed the Canoe Paddler. Give it a shot and tell me what you think.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Leinenkugel's" is already on my "Not Cool" list because they make that shitty "Summer Shandy" that everybody around here goes apeshit for which I find to be repulsive. Mix of beer and lemonade.... blech. Yeah, you probably like it. So does everybody else in this shithole region.

But I shall keep my eyes open.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mix of beer and lemonade

The thing that Leine's calls "shandy" isn't even close to what actual shandy is. Leine's is giving you what's properly called a "lager tops," as in "lager topped off with lemonade." True shandy is closer to a 50/50 mix. I don't find it bad, but it's too sweet to have anymore than 2-3 at once.

Real kolsch is from Germany, specifically Cologne, Germany. I guess you want the American equivalent.

Edited By Malcolm on 1438697321
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Real kolsch is from Germany, specifically Cologne, Germany. I guess you want the American equivalent.

Hey what do ya know.. The first one on that list is Canoe Paddler. I'd have to agree that I'm not a fan of Summer Shandy and I never had any other Leine's until I tried the mixed pack. But the Canoe Paddler and Helles Yeah were both really good.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I generally like Leine's. They have widespread distribution in my hood. Better than shitty domestic, but still fairly cheap. Somewhere between the mass produced crap and Sam Adams.

Edited By Malcolm on 1438698241
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Rum Punch, Mojito, Mint Julip
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mint Julip

Drinking a mint julip without watching a horse race just isn't done.

Every I time I hear mojito, I think

But almost every place fucks up the muddling of the leaves. "Muddle" doesn't mean "shred."

Edited By Malcolm on 1438698600
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Whenever I go out for some drinks with my wife I've been enjoying the Moscow Mule.

Just make sure they serve it in the copper mug, not sure why but it makes a big difference. I've been to a few places that take a short cut and serve them in glass and its just not the same.

Yummy, ginger beer
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:Real kolsch is from Germany, specifically Cologne, Germany. I guess you want the American equivalent.

The recipe I brew is exactly the one they make in Germany.

When I hear mojito I think of Burn Notice.

I had them make me a mojito on one of the Disney cruise ships..... it was a work of art.

edit - I see now that there is a law that for it to be called "Kolsch" must be brewed within 50 km of Cologne, Germany. That's silly. No wonder they lost the war.

Edited By GORDON on 1438700613
Troy

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote:
Whenever I go out for some drinks with my wife I've been enjoying the Moscow Mule.

Just make sure they serve it in the copper mug, not sure why but it makes a big difference. I've been to a few places that take a short cut and serve them in glass and its just not the same.

Yummy, ginger beer
I love me a Moscow Mule - great summer drink.

The copper has something to do with keeping it cold. But I feel like I finish it before that is much of a problem.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I never have ginger beer or copper mugs on hand. The mug became the thing because back in the day, that's what the rep went around doing photo ops with.

Edited By Malcolm on 1438704353
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Hit Walmart, and now that I look at it they have a shit craft beer section with like 4 brands and 6 styles then a long row of Bud and Miller. Bah.

Hit a different local place where I knew they had 2 rows of wine.... slightly better selection, but none of the things we listed. Didn't feel like going to a third place so I chose a Lucky Girl Golden Lager because I have seen some recent SJW whining about how craft beer labels are too sexist and they need to check their masculinity or whatever. So I figured I'd better buy the blatantly sexist label beer in order to strike a blow against fascist SJWs. Death to all of them.

It's pretty good beer, too.

About another week and my batch of Munich Helles should be ready to drink, so I guess I am good for now.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

They apparently have a pineapple IPA coming up. Sounds decent.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

When you drink beer that tastes like fruit juice do you ingest it with your mouth or vagina?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:When you drink beer that tastes like fruit juice do you ingest it with your mouth or vagina?
I drink it with Belgians at about twice the alcohol you're used to. Let me know how your effeminate 4-5% lagers are.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
GORDON wrote:When you drink beer that tastes like fruit juice do you ingest it with your mouth or vagina?
I drink it with Belgians at about twice the alcohol you're used to. Let me know how your effeminate 4-5% lagers are.
Well I think you're just drinking that to compensate for something.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Well I think you're just drinking that to compensate for something.
Yes, sobriety.