Batch 11 - Holiday Spiced Porter

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Happy Brew Day!

I am going to have a lot more beer with this batch than I had planned, since I was going to give away a bunch of it as Christmas presents but now I don't like a lot of these people anymore so they can just go to hell.

Don't brew angry!
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Decided to skip secondary fermenter, this time. I heard leaving the beer in with all the dregs keeps out the O2 that is normally introduced when you go to secondary, and the dregs keep doing their thing and mellow out some of the harsher flavors in the beer. The only thing I may be giving up is some clarity, supposedly.

We will see.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just to keep the logs up to date, this one was a big hit... or, possibly, peeps were just being polite.

But my mom's old man, who spent time in Germany in the army in the 1970's, said it really took him back to the holiday brews they made. Great compliment.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Over time, I have decided that a stout is just a harsher beer than I enjoy. I had 7 of them left and I just had a hard time drinking them... instead of being refreshing, it was more like a challenge.

But then it suddenly occurred to me to mix the beer in a glass 1:1 with my light cream ale, and HEY... that is much nicer. So now I can finish them off. :-)