Batch 10 - Gordonopolis Deep Red Ale v1.1

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Changed up the recipe a bit to see what happens, most notably changed the proportions of different grains, and actually doubled my dry malt in an attempt to boost the alcohol content...

And I royally screwed up the brewing.

It boils for about an hour with all the ingredients, and about 40 minutes in I realized I forgot to add all the malt, wet and dry.

Ugh.

Added the malt, let it boil another 25 minutes, and we will see what happens. There are a lot of chemical things that happen during brew day, I know they exist and don't know what specifically they all are... so hopefully I didn't underprocess my maltose in some way which will lead to a blowout of my fermenter tonight. I heard they are a huge mess to clean up.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bubbling away, about 1 per second. So far so good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Two bubbles per second.... never had a fermentation this fast.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Hey Gordo.

Yes, Other Gordo?

Since no one else reads this forum, I will just say it to you... I transferred the batch to the secondary fermenter, and it smelled great. So I think everything worked out. In researching, I discovered it may actually be beneficial to the ferment to add the malt late, like I did.

Really Other Gordo?

Yes, Gordo.

That's just swell, Other Gordo... just swell.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Had a taste at the 2-week mark... tasty, but a little light on the head. Going to give it another week or two.