Bat 9 - Another Scottish Ale

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

A year ago yesterday was when I brewed my first batch of beer ever, and it was a Scottish Ale.

One year later, this is my 9th batch, returning to the beginning because the first one is still one of my faves.

Just noting the significance of the batch.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Weird.

Brewed Tuesday night. Checked fermentation first thing in the morning.... 2 minutes, no bubbles. Was out all day, checked Wednesday at about 5pm. 2 minutes, no bubbles. Vapor from water lock smelled beerish.

Thursday morning, nothing. 5pm, nothing. Friday morning, nothing. Worried.

Tonight about 9, I cracked my fermenter and took a gravity reading. I was supposed to be between 1.010 and 1.014... it was 1.012. Fuck, I had beer, here.

As far as I can tell, all fermentation took place in some 8 hour period when I wasn't around to see it bubbling. Supposed to take a week.

Moved it to secondary fermentation tank tonight.... I had a regular amount of trub at the bottom, so the yeast (Windsor yeast, this time... more british "authentic" than generic ale yeast) definitely had a party in there, and it smells VERY good, so I am looking forward to drinking it in about a month.

After I moved it to secondary, I had a bubble every 30 seconds... you always get a little O2 back in the beer when you move it. Yeast back in hizzouse.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Tasty.

I feel bad for y'all that you can't taste this.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Had a couple bottles last night with the steak dinner.... very excellent. I think Scottish Ale remains my fave beer, so far.