Gordonopolis Deep Red Scottish Ale

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just invented my first, custom recipe.

FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Amber LME
1 lb. Amber DME

SPECIALTY GRAINS
4 oz. Caramel 60L - Maybe 80 or 90
4 oz. Smoked
3 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Roasted Barley

HOPS
.5 oz. Bittering
.5 oz. Aroma

YEAST
1 Sachet

+++++++++++

I am going to brew it like a regular Scottish Ale, and add a little Irish Moss at the end of the boil for clarity.

If it doesn't get as red as I'd like, I will alter the recipe. This is the beta version. We're not in production, yet. I hope to get the ingredients this weekend, or early next week, for immediate brewing. This will be my first time not brewing from a kit... exciting.

Edited By GORDON on 1335553963
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Brewed Monday, Started bubbling Tuesday night, all seems to be well.

My recipe has gone through some changes already... dumped the chocolate grains and added more crystal. Dude at my supply store recommended a lot... I was going to use 7 ounces, he recommended 16. Instead of 14 total ounces of grains, I used 22.... hope that isn't too much. I reduced my steeping time from 20 minutes to 16, to compensate a little. All is noted for the adjustment to the next batch.

It does look deep reddish brown...

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Put my nose down to the bubbling water lock... the gasses being released smell REALLY fucking good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Moved to secondary, today.

Smelled really good, but it lost all of the red hue it had after the boil.

Either my blend doesn't work at all... or maybe the addition of Irish Moss, which is intended to aid in the clarity of the beer, bound up all the proteins that gave it the red hue? Not sure.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bottled tonight. Only 4% ABM. What the hell.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Did you beer become Mormon?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just opened the first one.

Good head, so it carbonated well.

I think it actually is a deep red color... the next one I will use a non-frosted, clear glass, and try to get a strong light source behind it.

Also it tastes good. Malty and smooth.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:Bottled tonight. Only 4% ABM. What the hell.

I have a hypothesis.

In these recipes I emulated, it calls to start the boil with 2.5 gallons of water, and then after the boil you are supposed to add approx. 2.5 gallons more water so you have 5 gallons of beer.... with the caveat that you only add water after the boil until your specific gravity falls within a certain range.

I have been adding a bit more than 2.5 gallons of water before the boil to account for evaporation during the 1+ hour boil.... one loses almost a half gallon during that process.... because I wanted to be closer to that full 5 gallons of beer.

And, I have been a little sloppy with my final gravity readings, again, probably adding more water than I should to top me off closer to 5 full gallons.

I assumed the yeast would just be able to ferment more with more water, and still create a good, hearty beer.... in retrospect, that seems stupid. Yeast eats the malt, not the water. Duh.

Next batch I am paying better attention to my water levels, even though I may only end up with about 4.25 gallons of beer.

Edited By GORDON on 1342891702