Clarity

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Aren't all beers supposed to be translucent, and not cloudy?

My first batch had good clarity, and I can already tell my Batch 4 is very clear in the bottles, but my American Amber and American Pale Ale did not clarify very much. I used the same method for moving to secondary and bottling, without stirring up sediment.

Just wonder if some beers don't clarify.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Professionals use filters to clarify beer, except for wheat beer. Traditionally wheat beer is unfiltered, so it's still cloudy with yeast and other particulates.

They make additives to help clear your beer. I forget what it's called, but it's some sort of powdered seaweed.

Temperature can affect clarity, as can ingredients.

Don't worry about clarity too much. If it tastes good, it's good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just like it to be pleasing to the eye as well as the pallatte. Like my women.
Paul

Post by Paul »

This site covers some of the causes for cloudy beer: http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/clarifiers.htm
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:This site covers some of the causes for cloudy beer: http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/clarifiers.htm
This is me:
If your beer is clear at room temperature but then gets cloudy in the fridge, you've got chill haze. Chill haze is formed from proteins and polyphenols. These are soluble in beer at room temperature and hence are clear. But at low temperatures, they combine to form fine insoluble particles.

Chill haze.

Looks like I need to get some irish seaweed, or whatever it was they said.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Someone has been squirting protein into your beer?

...just like with your women.

Edited By Paul on 1321965149
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Told you my beer was practically a meal.

Like my women.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Me too. Full bodied, dark, full of yeast, wet, located in the kitchen, cheap, and enjoyed by thousands of frat guys.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:My first batch had good clarity, and I can already tell my Batch 4 is very clear in the bottles, but my American Amber and American Pale Ale did not clarify very much. I used the same method for moving to secondary and bottling, without stirring up sediment.
I think it is just a matter of time. My Scottish Ale wsa pretty clear after 2 weeks, my American Light was clear within a few days, and my American Pale Ale is just starting to clarify after a month and a half.

Wild.

Anyway, bought some Irish Moss at my beer place today, with my next (and possibly last) beer kit.

I have a recipe I want to try for the batch after next. I invented it and everything.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My local brewing place carried Irish Moss, so I bought a bottle and added a teaspoon into my boil in the last 15 minutes.

Batch 5 was clear (not cloudy) coming out of secondary, today. I guess it works.