Batch 3 - American Pale Ale

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I went to my local place to get an India Pale Ale in order to see what all the fuss is about, but their shelves were half bare and the guy was all embarrassed because he forgot to order for the week, then they had a bigger than usual run on stuff. He said he could put together the ingredients manually, but I told him I didn't feel confident enough in my skillz, yet, to make a beer not from a kit.

Anyway, American Pale Ale. Thinking of brewing this Saturday night.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm drinking a Flying Dogs Classic Pale Ale right now.
Pale ale's are teh goods.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:I'm drinking a Flying Dogs Classic Pale Ale right now.
Pale ale's are teh goods.
Was talking to a different guy at my local place today... he had lots of new info for me.

For example, based on the fact I loved the Scottish Ale, he said I may be a "Malt Head," as compared to a "Hop Head." I'd never heard those terms. I understand the Pale Ale is hoppy, so we shall see.

We shall see.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pale ale is really hoppy. Lots of bite (bitterness). Not as bitter as an IPA, but it is still a defining feature.

If you like sweeter beer, try making a kit that has lactos in it.

I used to think that I was a malt head, (didn't see the purpose in bitter beer) but then I made a double-IPA and fell in love with it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Brewing tonight, yay!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Wort is chillin, and I even managed to drop my thermometer onto the floor and break it and splatter mercury all over my bare foot. yay.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Two things new this batch, besides the potential for mercury poisoning:

1. I husbanded my ice better, so for the first time I was actually able to get the wort down to 70 degrees before I pitched the yeast. Previous temps were 74 degrees.

2. No bubbling in the primary fermenter, yet, 12 hours later. Both previous batches were bubbling away like mad by now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:I husbanded my ice better, before I pitched.
TMI?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:2. No bubbling in the primary fermenter, yet, 12 hours later. Both previous batches were bubbling away like mad by now.
Yeast is awake! Bubbling.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Still bubbling away. First time I have had bubbling for 2 days in a row. Might actually have a normal fermentation.

Probably moving to secondary tomorrow, unless it is still bubbling like crazy.

Edited By GORDON on 1318787941
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mercury? Use a digital thermometer. The only problem with those is that if you dip them too deep and liquid gets into the probe it will majorly screw up the reading. (Then you have to bake the probe in the over awhile, to evaporate the liquid out of it.)

I don't even know how long it takes to cook steak or chicken anymore. I just set mine thermometer for the desired temperature, insert the probe, retrieve it when it beeps.

I stick the display on the hood above the stove via magnet, so I can exactly what the temperature of the wert is at any time.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I didn't see any more bubbling in the primary this morning, so just now moved to secondary. Bubbling again! Yay.

My uncle gave me a hand and he said it smelled like alfalfa.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bottled. Smelled good.

5.3% alcohol, which is dead center of my expected range.
Paul

Post by Paul »

It'll smell good because of all the hops, which give beer that crisp smell.

Those same hops are going to be what you like least about the beer, you malt-head.

How far are you from KY? I should drive up and drink it for you.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:It'll smell good because of all the hops, which give beer that crisp smell.

Those same hops are going to be what you like least about the beer, you malt-head.

How far are you from KY? I should drive up and drink it for you.
I already have a beer disposal unit. It's called UnkBill.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Had one today, 20 days after bottling.

Hoppy, but tasty. I can drink this.

Then I had one right next to Bullfrog India Pale Ale (a local microbrew), and I don't know... their IPA just tastes really off. It has that sour taste I mentioned before, and my wife thought she even tasted apples. After she said that I took another sip, and yeah, there was a definite apple core taste to it. I wonder if they are doing their IPA correctly.

By my American Pale Ale is tasty. Maybe not my fave batch ever, but I will certainly get to recycle my bottles one a night until Christmas, more than likely.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pale Ale is different than India Pale Ale.
Pale Ale is just a normal beer, and India Pale Ale is the British attempt to make a tough beer.

Back when the sun never sent on the British Empire they had to ship beer from England to the colonies in India. This was a 6 month boat trip around Africa, in very hot conditions that would spoil traditional beer.

To keep the beer drinkable they added a lot more fermentables to increase alcohol content. They also added a lot more hops. The hops and alcohol acted as a preservative.

(Note: American's had more access to hops than British, so microbrewers here tend to use more hops than they normally would in England. I think people were trying to out-hop each other to prover how badass they were.)

Edited By Paul on 1321841414