Thermometer

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I need to get a new thermometer asap, as I need to brew my holiday batch by next weekend, prolly.

So what is recommended for brewing? Before I just had a 14" long mercury thermometer. Not averse to something bold and different.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

I mentioned this in another thread...

Get a digital. It'll have an LCD display and a few feet of cord, with a metal probe.
You'll get a near instant temperature reading on a big display and you can use it for other things.

When I cook any meat, I stick the probe in, set temperature I want, and it beeps at me when it reaches that temperature.
These things are great for BBQ's too, because it tells you when the meat is where you want it to be.
I bought my mother-in-law a digital thermometer that has a wireless alarm, so she can put the probe in a roast and carry the alarm out to the pool so it'll alert her when the meat is done.

My old one had "medium rare," "medium," "well done," "pork," "chicken," etc. as settings. I think it was from pampered Chef. It had a braided steel cord, but that started to fray and eventually had some sort of break that made it quit working.

My new one has a silicone coated wire leading to the probe (easier to keep clean) but it doesn't have pre-set temperatures for the various foods. I have to set the temperature manually.
I bought it on Amazon, and made sure that there were replacement probes that could be purchased.

The biggest issues with these is that liquid isn't supposed to go into the end of the 6" L-shaped metal probe. They put a rubber stopper in there to help keep it out, but liquid can still leak in.
I have a metal hood over my stove, so I stick the thermometer's display up there (it has a magnet) and I use another magnet to hold the cord at a level that will dangle it over the brewing kettle, with only half of it submerged.

Edited By Paul on 1318801610
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

An amazon link would kick so much ass.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

This is what I have now:
Polder Original Cooking All-In-One Timer/Thermometer

It says it has a memory for frequently used settings. Hmmm... If figure that out let me know.
I know 170 degrees for chicken, and 145 for medium steak, but I don't have them pre-programmed.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I like how "you save: $.79" is advertised.
If it cost $.79 more it would ship free.